Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
350 J Platform / Re: Clicking noise when applying rear brake
« Last Post by Curious wanderer on Today at 09:54:14 pm »
Yeah if a 22 year old, '96 Transalp gave me less worrisome noises I really must say I expected better from a brand new motorcycle, cheap or not. Maybe that is indeed my fault.

A further thought, your Transalp is watercooled, that has a significant impact on reducing emitted noise from the engine.
350 J Platform / Re: Rattling noise in these motors??
« Last Post by gzrfox on Today at 09:53:02 pm »
So I've listened to the video and I don't think it sounds anything at all like the heavy knock you get from the balancer gears.

The noise in the video sounds much more like rapid "clicks" - very much like valve gear noise, to be honest.

My Meteor doesn't make that noise, so don't believe any mechanics saying they all do it.

Now, valve gear noise doesn't vary with engine load, whereas @gzrfox reports that his noise does vary with the throttle opening.  The list of things that vary with load and make noises a bit like @gzrfox describes is:

1/ Abnormal combustion ("pinking" or "pinging")

2/ Piston slap from a poor original fit or excessive wear

3/ Wear in the little end (the top of the conrod, its fit to the gudgeon pin, and the fit of the gudgeon pin to the piston.

There might be others I haven't thought of.

I'm sorry, @gzrfox, but I'm slightly stuck for what to do next. I think I would probably need to ride the bike for a few days to get a feel for the problem. Is there a better motorcycle mechanic that you can trust?  The dealer doesn't seem very switched on, from what you've said.

Many thanks for trying to help Steve but at this point it's a losing battle. I'll try and sell it to someone who can ignore the various noises and can handle the dealership's BS and I'll move on to something else. Hope it doesn't blow up until then!

Again, many thanks.

Cheers!
« Last Post by Curious wanderer on Today at 09:50:35 pm »
So I've listened to the video and I don't think it sounds anything at all like the heavy knock you get from the balancer gears.

The noise in the video sounds much more like rapid "clicks" - very much like valve gear noise, to be honest.

My Meteor doesn't make that noise, so don't believe any mechanics saying they all do it.

Now, valve gear noise doesn't vary with engine load, whereas @gzrfox reports that his noise does vary with the throttle opening.  The list of things that vary with load and make noises a bit like @gzrfox describes is:

1/ Abnormal combustion ("pinking" or "pinging")

2/ Piston slap from a poor original fit or excessive wear

3/ Wear in the little end (the top of the conrod, its fit to the gudgeon pin, and the fit of the gudgeon pin to the piston.

There might be others I haven't thought of.

I'm sorry, @gzrfox, but I'm slightly stuck for what to do next. I think I would probably need to ride the bike for a few days to get a feel for the problem. Is there a better motorcycle mechanic that you can trust?  The dealer doesn't seem very switched on, from what you've said.

Good point Steve, I was listening to a different noise. Two thoughts come to mind, because that’s all I’ve space for, the whining of the cam chain, which I think is unlikely or possibly a bit of noise from the sprag clutch on the starter motor.
Still sounds like mine though. Still not worried by the noise on mine.
Bullet Iron Barrel / Re: low compression.
« Last Post by stinkwheel on Today at 09:50:12 pm »
I've always used the Hitchcocks ones which are made by cometic if memory serves correclty.

If nothing is obvious when you get in there, pop the exhaust valve out and check the seat is still firmly in place, I've had them come loose before.
350 J Platform / Re: Clicking noise when applying rear brake
« Last Post by gzrfox on Today at 09:49:23 pm »
What seems strangest to me about this thread is that, ...
    - The OP says they are a (professional?) musician, but still has NO means of recording their OWN bike.  Even as an amateur musician and 40 years ago, I had several devices I could use for recording sounds.
    - Instead, the OP posts us links to recordings of OTHER people's bikes, of different makes and models, and says "my bike sounds like THESE ones".
    - Yet, it seems that no forum member, who listens to these various recordings of other bikes, actually HEARS anything amiss.

This reminds me of a situation that happened many years ago.  ....

A lady friend was complaining that the tenants who lived below her, in a multi-unit apartment building, were fighting.  She'd call, tell me she was afraid, and beg me to come over.  "I'm afraid they might hurt the baby!", She'd say.  I'd drive over, hang out for a while, and hear NOTHING.  No fighting, no voices, nothing.  After several of these occurrences, I brought over a cassette recorder to loan her.  I showed her how to record by pressing Play and Red buttons at the same time, we did a dry run, "testing, one two three" I said.  I showed her how to rewind and play back, ... "testing, one two three", we heard together.   I told her that this way, she'd have evidence and we could call the police with that evidence, and have some hope of making a change.  And, I wanted to hear these people fighting for myself.

A week or so later, I got a call.   "They are fighting", She said, "I'm afraid they will HURT the BABY!".  "Record them!", I said, "I can't come right now, but I'll come tomorrow".  Later, I called, and asked, ....  "Did you record it?"  She said she had.   "Did you play it back?, I asked, pressing her further.  "Is it audible, can you make out what they are saying?"  "Yes", she said, "they were really going at it!".

The next day, I went over to listen to the tape, ... We rewound, and pressed Play.  "Testing, one two three", came out of the speaker, ... that was MY voice, at the head of the tape, ... then, Nothing else...   An irritated and confused look appeared on her face.  "That's weird!", she said, "It was there Before."   Repeatedly going over the entire tape, ... there was nothing, not a sound recorded remained.  Perhaps she had inadvertently erased them but left my voice, I thought.    Years later, she was immersed in other dire situations, involving other overheard threats.  I thought she was probably MUCH more sensitive than I was.  She was a woman, after all, and I'm practically a cave man.

Years after that, when she was in her 40s and diagnosed with schizophrenia, much later in life than such diagnoses are generally made, I finally felt like I understood the nature of "the sounds of fighting" and why my cassette recording idea hadn't been successful.  At that point, I wondered if there even WAS a baby, or a couple for that matter.  What seems particularly strange was that she could apparently "hear" playback of the fight before I arrived, but when we were together, the tape was blank.

Of course, this story is unrelated to the OP's situation, except to say that perception is a very unique and subjective thing.  Which is why it's important to make every effort to make observances as objective as possible.

Do you suggest I strap a humbucker on the seat and run around with my PC and audio interface to record it? And to imply one suffers from mental illness? Are you being serious right now? Never have I seen anyone online stoop that low on a motorcycle forum.

I find it weird that a lot of people can't hear that sound even when pointed exactly to it and even more so that I trusted a lot of folks, especially on this forum, to make a (wrong, apparently) choice. Even more frightening, however, is the fact that most of you went on the attack as if I insulted your precious honour by... hearing a noise I haven't heard in at least 20 bikes I've ridden before and found concerning.

Sorry to say, this is not what I was hoping for as a response and I'm genuinely saddened.

My heartfelt thanks to the people who tried to help and managed to remain civil. For the rest, thanks for your time.
Bullet Iron Barrel / Re: E-10
« Last Post by stinkwheel on Today at 09:47:40 pm »
But with far bigger main jets!

Or even none at all.
Campfire Talk / Re: whale, hail! britannia!
« Last Post by Leofric on Today at 09:16:52 pm »
Re reply 28 
Have we got rid of all the old Etonians now ? They were getting a bit too predominant in government.
Bullet Iron Barrel / Re: E-10
« Last Post by grahampaul on Today at 08:41:45 pm »
thanks for putting my mind at rest,i have seen what that stuff can do.will be keeping it standard as far as i can.
« Last Post by SteveThackery on Today at 08:40:00 pm »
'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26-w4NAoNVM '
Is there something wrong with that ? i thought they all sounded like that !
 p s ( I am not being sarcastic )

Tomorrow I'll record mine so we can compare them.
« Last Post by Leofric on Today at 08:38:49 pm »
'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26-w4NAoNVM '
Is there something wrong with that ? i thought they all sounded like that !
 p s ( I am not being sarcastic )
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10