Author Topic: Kickstarting advice  (Read 28516 times)

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 12:23:44 am
Re the decompress lever, I have read that it sometimes sticks in the open position, and hence it is best avoided. Since one can still get over TDC on the compression stroke without it, what are the view on that advice here?
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 02:40:46 am
Here is how I kick my RE to life. with the clutch in, kick the engine over a few times to loosen the clutch plates. You will feel them come loose. This is good. Next, let off the clutch, engage the decompressor lever and kick the engine thru a couple times, flip the fuel "on"  kick it thru a couple more times. Turn on the ignition,and looking at the ammeter guage, watch the needle as you push down on the kickstart lever. It should drop down into the negative and then when it swings back straight up, you are ready to kick start the bike for real. Release the decompressor,turn on the choke, and kick the lever downward all the way to the ground. This way if the bike does happen to kick back your foot should be more or less out of the way. If your bike is new it is going be hard to do when it is cold. You might want to electric start it first and then practice kicking it after it has warmed up. Once it is broken in a bit it will get easier and easier to do, and it does look damn fine!

Cheers and good luck!
                                                                                                             Jon

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 09:13:35 am
Kiwichick,

Unless you are Jonah Lomu's sister, the compression stroke is the part of the stoke where you can stand on the kickstart lever without it going round any further.

Where you need the engine to be, is just past this point. Get off the kickstart and pull the decomnpressor lever in. Now operate the kickstart just a little to get over the hump.

With regards to starting on the bike on the centre stand, I never do anything else. UK bikes have an ignition cut-out switch built into the side stand as a safety device.

With regards to Iniana's right foot / left foot comment, I always start my bikes with my left peg as I have an injury to my right hip that doesn't need the excercise.

Watching for the ameter needle to flick won't work with many electronic ignitions.

The lean burn engine decompressor is not so much a decompressor as a valve lifter. You have to jiggle the kickstart to get past compression or just kick through it.

With regards to the traffic light stalling problem, I think that the green light sucks all of the energy from the ignition. It must be that because that's exactly when it dies!

On a seious note, If you fail to respect the staring proceedure, be warned. The 500 has the capability of doing you some real damage. IndianaBuleteer broke 4 bones in his foot!

I have heard the kickstart lever refered to as an "anti-theft device" before now.

"If you can start it, you can have it"

It looks impressive when you have an audience and got through the prceedure and it thumps into life on the first kick.

For me, however, nothing beats the electric boot.

REgards
TT
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 01:45:12 pm
You might also want to read  in the FAQ's  ยป  How to Kick-Start a Royal Enfield.  Kevin has considerable experience in starting many different REs.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 09:44:52 pm
A real he-man is supposed to be able to start the bull with his hand.....I can't....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 12:50:05 am
A real he-man is supposed to be able to start the bull with his hand.....I can't....Dew.

That just changes which bones get snapped! ;D

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 03:20:25 am
I will pass on trying to start it with my hand. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 05:21:00 am
Well thanks all.  Between your advice and the FAQ, I can now report successfully kickstarting the bike every time when hot (haven't tried yet when stalled at the lights, though) and once when cold.

Now I've got the feel, feels like I've been doing it all my life!
Biddy
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 07:17:47 am by Kiwichick »

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 06:33:27 am
Why would you be stalling at the lights? I have had no problem with idling at zero throttle with my new bike in the 300kms I have done, once it has reached operating temp in about 5 minute riding. That said, I don't think I would try the KS at the lights in India, in traffic, with a huge number of folks crowding you from behind! Or maybe I should say that unless I start kickstarting at those times, I can't claim to have learnt it fully,,,,
Hows the rains?!

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 01:50:04 am
Why would you be stalling at the lights?

hmmm ..........just happens every once and a while... daydreaming... people watching as they look out the corner of their eyes .. and I'm on the EnField.. small goggles , leather flight helmet,,

cigar in my mouth

staring  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 02:18:13 am by scotty »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 02:53:09 am
In the USA, there are gremlins at traffic lights. They sit in wait, looking for the unwary, and then, just as the light goes green, they yank the plug lead.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 02:56:21 am
that's true.. I saw that happen in front of me :o

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 02:57:00 am
I like this idea of regular filling to avoid having the fuel cut out before I switch to reserve.  One of the joys (or perhaps the only one) of metric - I'll fill up every 250, 500, 750, 000  etc. and no notebook needed to remind me.                Good tip.

It has finally stopped spring-time raining down in the semi tropical north of NZ.  So up with the larks this morning, riding around the volcanic cones and bays that is Auckland.  Beautiful, and the bike behaved admirably.  And another cold kickstart under my belt!

Thanks for the advice, all
Biddy

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 03:04:29 am
thanks for the update.. a  beautiful morning  for you   as you said ;D..

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 09:28:03 am
way to go with the kickstarts,,,,mine are still hit and miss when cold, and I must say that I give up after a few attempts and revert to the thumb. Bike is running well so far, I must say, and none of the local gremlins have come out of hiding yet. And thanks for the neat and simple way to keep track of the fuelling, I think I will do just that too.