Author Topic: Crackling sound when trying to start  (Read 1332 times)

jobinjv

• Scooter
on: September 02, 2022, 03:47:38 pm
I have a 2010 C5 Indian make. Since the bike was being used very rarely accumulating just 2000km on the odo, I faced issue with the FI when I was back home every few months and needed cleaning the component within the tank. The battery too was a bother as it gets drained too fast, and if I forget to leave it on trickle charge the issues gets compounded further.

I decided to convert to carb and after 2 years of no use, and start I got on the process of changing the whole thing.

While changing  the stator coil I found the case had a lot of cracks in it, surprised as to why as it was periodically maintained while it was running years back.

Then once all done with the conversion, the bike turned on easily and I took for a test drive less than a kilometer. Once back and trying to turn it on again I started to hearing crackling sound, and later only crackling sound.

What has gone wrong internally ?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 04:06:45 pm
It's difficult to view your attached video file (trim.C932859B-EFA9-4B1B-9547-C7E08FF639F6.mpg) with my Android device's native (default) media player, but I managed to view it fine as a downloaded file using my more fully-featured VLC Media Player.

I'm afraid I have an older model "Iron Barrel" Bullet, so cannot be of much practical assistance. I would say that it doesn't sound so much like a starter solenoid's characteristic clicking when it's going bad or not getting enough power so much as a gearwheel or something failing to engage properly. Were it an old car starter making that sound I might suspect a worn or sticky Bendix mechanism (a sort of spring-loaded sliding gear mechanism) or perhaps some chewed up or worn flywheel gear teeth where the Bendix engages--most likely the former. But I'm not even sure you have a Bendix

Hopefully someone with a bit more hands-on UCE or C5 experience will be along soon.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 04:11:31 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Snotball

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 04:05:04 am
I have no idea what the crackling sound is but I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the engine case. Those cracks are not really cracks at all - what they are is casting marks and are common in these engine cases.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 12:23:37 pm
The battery too was a bother as it gets drained too fast, and if I forget to leave it on trickle charge the issues gets compounded further.

While changing  the stator coil I found the case had a lot of cracks in it,

Once back and trying to turn it on again I started to hearing crackling sound, and later only crackling sound.

What has gone wrong internally ?

Keep your battery on a tender when it's parked (not a trickle charger). Then you'll have a 100% battery all the time.

Those aren't cracks.

You have to describe "crackling sound" better.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

jobinjv

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 07:27:25 am
The sounds like something breaking or hitting against each other. This happens when I crank and the engine is about to start. I will attach an audio file if possible soon.

Snotball

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 11:20:24 am
If the bike has been unused for some time I wonder if it’s to do with something sticking in the auto decompressor setup?

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 11:21:51 am
 It's best to remove the clutch cover / primary cover and examine for damage. Sounds like something is getting crushed between the starter drive gears and the sprag clutch gear. I would not try starting the engine.

Just out of curiosity, did the engine have a backfire at any time? That could have shattered the sprag clutch.

jobinjv

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 02:34:11 pm
There has not been an engine backfire, as I am aware.

Seems all that's being said is from the clutch side, I was afraid of anything major in the engine.

GunnarS

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 04:09:43 pm
Hi! I also have a 2010 and had a very similar issue with mine. It was a broken sprag clutch, the mechanism between the starter motor gear and the engine. I also found out that there is a known fault on the early assemblies with the sprag clutch and an improved version was introduced in production (I believe 2011?). Anyway, I bought a new sprag clutch from Hitchcocks (the improved version) and that fixed it.

Once I removed the left side cover of the engine, it was in my case easy to see that it was indeed broken; small bits and pieces laying around. I guess that you cold check this first, before bying any parts.

Best regards,
Gunnar

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 08:37:52 pm
Hi! I also have a 2010 and had a very similar issue with mine. It was a broken sprag clutch, the mechanism between the starter motor gear and the engine. I also found out that there is a known fault on the early assemblies with the sprag clutch and an improved version was introduced in production (I believe 2011?). Anyway, I bought a new sprag clutch from Hitchcocks (the improved version) and that fixed it.

Once I removed the left side cover of the engine, it was in my case easy to see that it was indeed broken; small bits and pieces laying around. I guess that you cold check this first, before bying any parts.

Best regards,
Gunnar

That would be my guess, too. My later model UCE occasionally makes a terrible cracking sound if the motor fails to start and then rotates backward. It's the sprag clutch, but luckily it's the upgraded type and just makes a noise, doesn't disintegrate.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E