Author Topic: royal enfield 2021 future mods?  (Read 1547 times)

linestunter

• Scooter
on: June 23, 2022, 07:35:21 am
hi every one, so far i have really been enjoying chugging around on my 500, having changed the exhaust to a goldstar and cat delete with a header pipe i have purchased on ebay a 19t front sprocket for around $35 au shipped
this i hope will lower the cruising speed rpm and make hwy speeds more comfortable for me and the bike
as i will have to remove the engine side casing to fit the 19t sprocket i thought may as well check the backlash on the cam spur gears while its apart
my main aim is to drop the engine rpms at around 100-110kph with the 19t sprocket
question is i have seen on ebay anti- vibration plates for around $100au shipped and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on whether they worked or not
is the vibration plate worth the money and effort from ebay or is the carberry plate double the money of the ebay plates better or no worse
i think the 19t sprocket is a worthy up grade not so sure of the vibration plate ebays no name versus carberry
thanks for any advice or recommendations Damien

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 09:30:08 am
My bike does not vibrate a lot but l have read a lot about them from people who fitted them, they are quite easy to fit, the point is many people say they do very little in the way of vibration a host of people have stated this so as to if they are a waste of money l can’t say, the thing is with that type of engine no balance shaft you will always get some vibration it’s the design and in some cases bad QC it seems some people get a good one and others get a bone shaker that will draw the fillings out of your teeth, l may fit a sprocket at a later date to drop the revs in first, l find this a bit high would like to lower it a bit if possible..

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 12:42:01 pm
I went the larger sprocket route on mine and also went back to standard. Even with a Power Commander and AT-200 autotuner, changed pipe and header and unifilter airbox the gearing did not work for the long hills I encounter in NY state where I most often ride. If the roads are flatter by you you may be OK. Interesting engine on these bikes......if you are travelling at 50mph and you find the vibration excessive, you can choose another gear that you find more comfortable. 3rd, 4th and 5th work fine at that speed! Get it up to 60 or 70 and 3rd sort of gets removed from that list. I don't mind the vibration....kind of like it as it reminds me of what I am riding. As for those anti vibration plates, I have never tried one nor will I. I have watched all the videos and no one has ever shown a direct side by side, exact load and RPM technical comparison that proves anything. Plus, my engine guru, Gashousegorilla, does not recommend them. Enjoy the bike!
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 12:37:47 pm
Some guys here say that they've reduced the vibration from their bikes by loosening the engine mounting bolts while the engine's running. It lets the engine jiggle itself into it's happy place then you retighten the bolts to keep it there. Might be worth a try.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 03:47:51 pm
i think the 19t sprocket is a worthy up grade not so sure of the vibration plate ebays no name versus carberry
My 2012 C5 came with a 20T drive sprocket.  It may have come from the factory with a 17, and I assumed for years it was either that or an 18 and didn't bother to count teeth.  Torque from a standstill was good, and the machine could loaf along at a fast walk in 1rst gear while idling.  I would hardly use 5th gear in my day to day commuting, shifting into 5th was a once a fortnight, special occasion.

But, when I took the bike out on the highway, I did notice that my top speed seemed lower than most guys said they could reach.  I would top out at around 75 mph, while most folks claim 80 or more.  I wonder if the rpm reduction from the 20T is reducing the output sufficiently to clip the extra 5 mph.  I purchased an 18T, and intended to explore this, but didn't get to it before an accident damaged the bike.

I attached a dyno result I found on the internet, that was reported to be from a 2009 G5 Bullet, which I believe was stock.  Looks like moving either side of 4600 rpm moves away from the horsepower peak.  My 20T shifts rpm by 11% at a give road speed vs. an 18T.  If a stock bike was running 4600 rpm at 80 mph, mine would be spinning at 4088, which would drop output on the graph to about 19.5 hp.  Your 19T will shift 5.6%.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 03:48:04 pm
When those anti-vibration plates first came out, I put one from Carberry on my UCE just to see what it would do.  ???

My bike never vibarted much before that, and I had no problem with the minimal vibes it did have, which seemed to manifest in the handlebars.  ::)

After the plate was installed, the vibration moved out of the handle bars, and down to the foot pegs which my feet did not like!  :o

When riding with the plate, my bike also felt like something was missing... It felt noticibly different, and just kept bugging me. It wasn't long before I pulled it back off. Instantly my bike felt like my own again, and I fell right back in love with it!  :)

What I remember (UCE mentor and fellow "Long Stroker") Gas House Gorilla saying about those plates, which was also posted here on this forum, is that the bearings were not rated for the load a UCE puts on them.   :P

I don't recall the specifics, but their strength or reliability was technically marginal as per the numbers which are stamped into them.

That may have changed by now, but I would reccomend looking into it. That may be how the ebay ones are lowering the cost too, cheaper bearing?  ??? As long as that bearing will hold up, and you are so inclined, try one out. You might like it?

In my case, it was a mistake, a failed experiment which dampened the spark of love I had for Bholenath. After removing it, I apologised to Bhole  :'(
 and promised to never do it again.  ;)

Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 01:08:18 am
hi every one, so far i have really been enjoying chugging around on my 500, having changed the exhaust to a goldstar and cat delete with a header pipe i have purchased on ebay a 19t front sprocket for around $35 au shipped
this i hope will lower the cruising speed rpm and make hwy speeds more comfortable for me and the bike
as i will have to remove the engine side casing to fit the 19t sprocket i thought may as well check the backlash on the cam spur gears while its apart
my main aim is to drop the engine rpms at around 100-110kph with the 19t sprocket
question is i have seen on ebay anti- vibration plates for around $100au shipped and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on whether they worked or not
is the vibration plate worth the money and effort from ebay or is the carberry plate double the money of the ebay plates better or no worse

You will find that your 21 model may have a 17 tooth front sprocket installed.  Only upgrade to a 18 tooth if you do.  I have fitted both carberry plate and 18 tooth front to my 21 classic. The plate is fine, I didn't install it for vibes, but mainly longevity at higher speeds.  The genuine carberry was AU $109 landed in Brisbane.. I am still out on the bigger sprocket..my riding is 50/50....there is a trade off for around town ease and lower highway revs. You will eventually decide which speed is used the most

Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

linestunter

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 06:54:45 am
ok thankyou for the info regarding the 2021 model sprocket being maybe a 17t
the vibration plate i ordered is still in the post from hitchcocks, my wife calls them RICHCOCKS lol
i usually ride at speeds below 80k but  would like to do some country touring at 100-110k so thought the 19t might help
i am aware of the bearings in the vibration plate kit being marginal so might try to source a better one
being an engineer i like the idea of some support for the crank snout spindle to stop it flopping around with the heavy flywheel at higher rpm.
i will check crank runout before fittingthe plate because if its bad it can do more harm than good if fitted to a badly assembled crank
thanks all

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 09:40:11 pm

What I remember (UCE mentor and fellow "Long Stroker") Gas House Gorilla saying about those plates, which was also posted here on this forum, is that the bearings were not rated for the load a UCE puts on them.   :P

I don't recall the specifics, but their strength or reliability was technically marginal as per the numbers which are stamped into them.

I can confirm that.  I made a simple vibration meter and measured the vibration on the petrol tank (just a convenient place). I then fitted that Carberry plate and tested the vibration again.  Exactly the same.  Yes, I know it's only one point on the bike, and really it's the vibes through the seat, bars and pegs that matter.

Anyway, went for a short test ride.  No noticeable difference.  However, only a few minutes in and the engine suddenly started making a horrible whining/droning sound,  so I cut the ride short.  Got home and examined the Carberry plate and the bearing had failed - it was all notchy and rough.  Threw it in the bin, put the bike back together and carried on quite happily.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 02:35:19 am
Wow Steve, you're a lot more attractive than last time I saw your profile pic. Looking good, old mate. Wanna go for a drink?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 04:07:27 am
Careful when dating an invertebrate tinkerer, don't be taken for a "sucker"...  :o ;D ;D ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 03:35:11 pm
Wow Steve, you're a lot more attractive than last time I saw your profile pic. Looking good, old mate. Wanna go for a drink?

Any time, Hunny Bun!  😍  😂😂
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 03:36:53 pm
You gotta admit, she is lovely, though.  Emily Maitlis - Newsnight isn't the same without her.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5