Author Topic: GEAR SELECTOR  (Read 2405 times)

2Para

• Scooter
on: June 03, 2022, 11:08:40 am
Is it me or my oversized leather motorcycle boots?
I am finding the selector lever quite hard to get under with my boot. I know they make a double toe/heel selector, which I don't really want but does anybody know of one for this bike that has the pad slightly further forward on a single?
I appreciate the Indians have small feet but my size 10's are struggling. Might have to look at new footwear if there isn't an alternative selector.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 12:22:45 pm
Well you can adjust the position just unbolt it.

2Para

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 12:30:10 pm
Carl,
Can you explain that one, looks like no movement available on this one other than moving it around the peg perhaps by one??
Other solution I suppose for us big footed riders, take the rubber off!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 12:58:49 pm by 2Para »

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 04:39:15 pm
Well normally you can undo attachment bolt and move up or down it just fits on a splined shaft if you look you will see bolt just remove then rotate gear change.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 04:47:59 pm
Just undo bolt pull lever off and rotate position up or down. You could fit a much thinner rubber to be fair that one is quite thick by any standards but in the past l have always adjusted the pedal unless RE have changed design which l doubt.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 04:56:43 pm by Carl Fenn »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 05:59:13 pm
Is it me or my oversized leather motorcycle boots?
I am finding the selector lever quite hard to get under with my boot. I know they make a double toe/heel selector, which I don't really want but does anybody know of one for this bike that has the pad slightly further forward on a single?
I appreciate the Indians have small feet but my size 10's are struggling. Might have to look at new footwear if there isn't an alternative selector.
I'm a size 12.  Adjusting the lever worked OK, but after I installed one of these cheap Indian heel/toe levers, there was no more need to get under anything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353706002934

Now I occasionally find myself instinctively stomping to upshift, even when I'm riding a machine with no heel/toe lever installed.

From what I've seen in videos, plenty of folks in that part of the world ride in what I'd call "flip flops".

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 07:21:45 pm
Well l think you are right it’s all flip flops and sandals out there, whatever floats your boat.

2Para

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 11:18:26 am
Thanks guys really appreciate it.

I was considering rotating the clutch lever on the spline by one or two going upwards so I can get my foot under the rubber with it sitting on my leather patch sewn into the boot there. Didn't want to change anything, but if its a continued drag I'll opt for your suggestion and buy a foot to toe adaptor from Hitchcocks.

Looks like that Indian guy didn't score to highly on Ebay for reliability once he has your dosh  ;D

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 07:04:45 pm
Don’t pay two much attention to you tube some of those vids are not worth a dime.

2Para

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 07:27:48 pm
Carl,
Have you done this before. It would appear easy, undoing a bolt removing the clutch arm and moving it upwards or round on the spline, so I can get my toe under it on completion. I have this awful feeling there's a gasket or I'll need a puller of sorts?

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 07:59:13 pm
Well normally they come off easy l have done 3 when the weren’t right for me just undo the bolt insert a screwdriver if it’s two tight then give it a slight twist, then just pull it off by hand and rotate, no need to touch the clutch at all no gaskets just on shaft.

2Para

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 08:56:53 pm
 ;)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 10:51:14 pm
The screwdriver wedge trick works for me.  I was able to easily reposition to the next tooth position, but the real issue was that the radius of the shifter lever isn't long enough for big feet.  Clockwise rotation meant a position that wasn't comfortable with my foot OVER, the factory position was difficult to get UNDER.

That same shifter design lever is available from a dozen different sellers.  It's a commodity item.

I've had half a dozen Ebay purchases from Asia never show up, but Paypal has always come through with a refund.  If there is no proof of delivery, and one has used Paypal, all a guy loses is his time, which admittedly is considerable because India sellers reserve 8 -12 week long delivery windows.  But, considering that USA buyers may only see the option to buy cheap but iffy and far in the future from India, or more rapidly from the UK but with exorbitant shipping costs, a guy selling a few extra shift levers from the US is likely to be a welcome option.  Order a few, and sell the extras at a 150% of what you paid.  Many sellers on Ebay make a living doing just this sort of thing, at higher volumes.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 11:05:01 pm
Well l have never had trouble with screwdriver trick always works every time.

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 08:11:35 am
I moved my lever up one spline to get my size 13 under the lever, but I ride with feet at a ten to two position, and pointing downward, the result of having log legs. But I will add that my C5 is incredible comfy and riding over a hundred miles in one go is easy.