Author Topic: Borked thread  (Read 2846 times)

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
on: December 08, 2021, 08:26:07 pm
Hi Dan, the 'Sweden and California' train wreck thread in Campfire doesn't open any more (I know, find something else to do, but the German chap is so funny).
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29822.0

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 02:25:46 am
Seemed to open fine for me just now. That thread's one of my favorite derangements, actually. I'd be sad to see it vaporized into the aether.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 03:55:08 am
Everything seems to work for me but page #50 - I get:

This page isn’t workingforum.classicmotorworks.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

P49 & P51 on either side seem to be OK....?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 02:12:00 pm

This page isn’t workingforum.classicmotorworks.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

Is that what it means to be "borked"? Wasn't there a TV show years ago that had a Martian named Bork in it? Any relation?
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 07:34:20 pm
@ #3: Y'all been Bilgified!  ;D  Apparently this was his language lesson for the day:

Borked:
bork /bôrk/ verbINFORMAL•US  past tense: borked; past participle: borked
obstruct (someone, especially a candidate for public office) by systematically defaming or vilifying them.
"“We're going to bork him,” said an opponent"

This? >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mork_%26_Mindy <<
American sitcom television series that aired on ABC from September 14, 1978, to May 27, 1982. A spin-off after a highly successful episode of Happy Days, it starred Robin Williams as Mork, an extraterrestrial who comes to Earth from the planet Ork, and Pam Dawber as Mindy McConnell, his human friend, roommate, and eventual love interest.

Or this?  >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björk <<
Björk Guðmundsdóttir OTF (/bjɜːrk/ BYURK; Icelandic: [pjœr̥k ˈkvʏðmʏntsˌtouʰtɪr̥] (About this soundlisten); born 21 November 1965) is an Icelandic singer, songwriter, composer, record producer and actress. Over her four-decade career, she has developed an eclectic musical style that draws on influences and genres including electronic, pop, jazz, experimental, trip hop, alternative, classical, and avant-garde music.

Bilgemaster - willfully enlarging folks grammar capacities since time immoral... :o ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 09:37:54 pm
A certain Muppet character comes to mind...

A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-QiDOlIrXo
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 12:01:06 am

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 02:49:32 am

HTTP ERROR 500

Right you are! Page 50 of that thread at https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29822.0 is indeed "borked". I'll bring it to the direct attention of the All-Powerful Admins. I'd wager the cause is just a corrupted database index file from which a "byte" has been taken, perhaps by a random passing neutrino or other cosmic particuloid flying by, or maybe just by Dan's pungent new generic aftershave, Dataloss for Men,  dissolving the data storage media, and so the file may just want re-indexing. It's grown into a fairly ponderous thread after all. A little "data rot" might be expected.

As for "bork" or "borked", that's a stirring and almost sexually onomatopoetic word for "fucked up", ruined or even sabotaged, isn't it? For such a lovely, almost earthy and primitive (like Dan's aftershave) and ancient venerably Anglo-Saxon sounding term, it's actually quite recent. Most etymologies have it as deriving from the failed Reagan Era Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork's abortive or "borked" confirmation for a seat on the Court by the Senate, which is charged to "advise and consent" to such appointments. His past as a foe of some Civil Rights measures and role in the obstruction of the Nixon Era "Watergate" investigations led many in the Senate to do their very best to derail or "bork" his confirmation.

Unsurprisingly for a word so elementally and viscerally "right" for its concept, some speculative etymologies mention the similar but possibly earlier "borken", a simple yet inherently ironic misspelling or typo of "broken" that soon gained some traction as a deliberate typo, and is still found commonly in use in some hacker or computer forum subcultures, akin to the deliberate typos "pron" or "teh".

« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:03:04 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 09:31:36 am
@ #6: Hoiho - best use of Manga ever...informative & "titillating" ;D ;D ;D

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 05:19:25 pm
Hi Dan, the 'Sweden and California' train wreck thread in Campfire doesn't open any more (I know, find something else to do, but the German chap is so funny).
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29822.0

That is an odd one and not something I have an immediate answer for, I will pass this onto our IT experts to look into this further. 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 06:30:16 pm
So, does page 50 constitute such an epic piece of conspiracy whistle-blowing that "they" just had to take it down, or was it just more doom-scrolling?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 01:34:04 am
That is an odd one and not something I have an immediate answer for, I will pass this onto our IT experts to look into this further.

Fixed now, normal lunacy resumed - cheers Dan