Author Topic: 1-2 shift randomly drops back to neutral on a 2013 500 Classic  (Read 881 times)

MichiganTommy

• Scooter
Ok, I kinda got going on this in the "regrets" topic, but thats really kindof a sidetrack, so I figured I'd docuent my investigative process here instead so that if I figure it out, and someone down the road has this issue they can find it in a search.

so the problem:  A problem with the 1-2 shift where it will sort of randomly drop back to Neutral when releasing the selector lever with my toe. Sometimes it does it. Some times it doesnt. Sometimes it does it 5 times in a row as I'm trying to get going after a light and I'm having to clutch-kick up-green light-kick up-green light-kick up-green light" as I start losing speed and patience.

I really love the bike, but unless I can get this figured out, I won't be able to trust it at a stop sign or light, and thats a real buzz-kill.

So Here's my process so far, and the advice I've picked up and tried so far:

Try adjusting the gear shift lever. Mark the end of the lever and shaft with a Sharpie or similar. Remove the lever from the shaft and refit it one spline down. I'll bet that'll get you sorted.

I tried it, but to no avail. Condition still occurs with similar randomness.

then I found this in another topic that exactly decribed my symptoms...

The only shifting problem I had was missing second from first. I would get second and it would jump out; back to neutral. The fix was simple; just pulled off the cover and lined up all the shifter stops and I had no more trouble ever again. After the "tweak" my bike never missed a gear up or down again. Maybe if you just center up your shift ratchet it will fix your bike too. Took 'bout an hour and once you see it all it's self explanitory.   

but when I got the covers off of it, there arent any set-points that I could see. Just the solid bar that runs clear through the case with the thumb and fork on the shift actuator. nothing appears worn or damaged per se.

My current theory before splitting cases to get at the gearbox::

I noticed before I got it apart that the gear selector shaft had a fair amount of end play, maybe in the neighborhood of 1/8". If the spacer in the right side case thats supposed to hold that shaft in place is deteriorated/gone/etc. then that little thumb could be slipping partially free of the forks. Not losing contact completely, but would certainly cause incomplete travel internally even with full motion of the selector lever.

So my current brainstorm for a fix is either replace that spacer, or replace the spacer with a heavy spring to keep the selector lever pushed to full engagement.

I think I also may have seen a topic here somewhere on the site where someone put a spacer between the foot lever and the case to accomplish the same basic thing.

Any thoughts.?

I can post up some pictures if my descriptions aren't making sense. I'm a novice working on these RE's but not a novice mechanic, so my terminology is completely improvised at this point. lol

MichiganTommy

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 02:02:03 am
I may have licked it! got it all back together with a spring installed past the shaft in the right side housing to keep the selector arm fully seated and it has yet to miss a shift.

so here's what I'm talking about. I've attached the exploded diagram from the manual, the overall problem with not getting enough throw on the gear selector internally even with full travel at the foot lever, and where I installed the small coil spring I picked up to keep the selector fully seated.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 10:01:12 am
So the issue seems to be an end play problem, well done for sorting it out.
Thanks for sharing
Useful information for anyone else who's bike suffers from similar issues.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.