Author Topic: A new Classic? Anyone know if a 500cc version is in the works?  (Read 3869 times)

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
There's a lot to like here in my opinion. Anyone know if a 500cc version is in the works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRSr6QGOpK0

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 03:29:43 pm
It's disappointing indeed that Mark and Sid are right there by a canal, yet chose not to do the Fish Slapping Dance: https://youtu.be/T8XeDvKqI4E. So much for respect for tradition.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 04:19:16 pm
It's disappointing indeed that Mark and Sid are right there by a canal, yet chose not to do the Fish Slapping Dance: https://youtu.be/T8XeDvKqI4E. So much for respect for tradition.

You're on a roll my friend.  First your hilarious auto da fé reference and now fish slapping. Keep 'em coming.

So what do you think is hiding under the aluminum cover on the C5 in the video? Are they covering a carburetor or the fuel injector? Makes you wonder doesn't it?  And why?

Hey, Torquemada, whaddaya say?
I just got back from the auto-da-fé
Auto-da-fé, what's an auto-da-fé?
It's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 09:05:13 pm
Since they are using the new 350 engine o can only think they may come out with a 650 twin classic.

Seriously though I think we have seen the last of the true classic look.

I am glad I picked.mine up recently.  I enjoy having a kick start.
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:06:40 pm

Monty python never gets old.lol
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 10:34:16 pm
I really like this paint job on the new classic. Also like the stronger looking frame.

cheers Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 10:35:25 pm
Thanks for posting! I'm liking the across-the-spread double-loop chassis, like the GT535 wore.
Well, they are just an 84mm piston away from a new 500, with the proper counterbalance assembly of course.
I'm liking the 650 Classic idea too. Hopefully it just augments the 650 line and doesn't alienate the modern crowd. If they already have a cruiser in the works, how off-putting could a standard be?
The "Dark" variant finally gets you cast wheels. The Janus folks are probably gritting their teeth over RE's "Halcyon" iterant...
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 02:05:18 pm
RE reckoned they couldn't get a 500 single through the latest round of emissions controls. I suspect that means they couldn't do it for an acceptable price when they can carry on churning out loads of 350s, which are what sell by the truckload in India and ARE easier to get through the legislative hoops. Trying to persuade Sid to go back to producing a 500 single when the 650 twins seem to be doing well might be a fruitless task.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 06:49:09 pm
David Blasco reviews the 350 on his blog.

"I stumble though, at this: we know that the same motor in the Meteor 350 , praised for its beefy torque, provides a top speed only barely acceptable on U.S. Interstates. The Royal Enfield buyer will still need to move up to the more-than-capable INT 650 or Continental GT 650 if he or she wants to go far.

Could this mean there is a 500cc or perhaps even 650cc motor in the Classic's future? Or am I missing the point?"

https://www.royalenfields.com

Personally, I believe this is Royal Enfield covering the domestic market.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 07:30:21 pm
RE reckoned they couldn't get a 500 single through the latest round of emissions controls. I suspect that means they couldn't do it for an acceptable price when they can carry on churning out loads of 350s, which are what sell by the truckload in India and ARE easier to get through the legislative hoops. Trying to persuade Sid to go back to producing a 500 single when the 650 twins seem to be doing well might be a fruitless task.

A.
I never saw any evidence that anyone from Royal Enfield corporate ever said this.  What I saw was various media sources, speculating they COULDN'T, after RE announced they WOULDN'T do what was necessary to bring the 500 into compliance with BS 6.

We all know that emissions standards are not based on engine size, but are absolute limits of unit mass of pollutant per vehicle unit of distance.

I very much suspect that RE COULD have, but chose not to do the development work on the 500, as the 500 UCE had very poor sales in India, and poor sales internationally, especially after the 650s were announced. 

In a very similar situation, Harley continues to sell their large 1750cc+ air cooled twins in the Euro market, but withdrew the Sportster 1200 and 883.  HD never said they "COULDN'T", bring these into compliance, but this is the phrase chosen by most folks discussing the situation.  HD, like RE, chooses to say nothing, and let people think that the mean old gov't bureaucrats are to blame.  I think it's the accountants.

If you can point to some evidence, where somebody from RE corporate stated that the 500 UCE COULDN'T be brought into BS6 compliance, I'll gladly eat my words.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 05:58:49 am
+1 to Axman88. There are a lot of things that corporations could do but choose not to for marketing (& profit maximization) reasons. Toyota makes a lovely D-4D diesel in the Euro-spec Yaris that has virtually the same MPG as the Prius and sells for 20% less. Why import your own competition with a cheaper, lower mark-up car? If Ford, Dodge & Chevy can make a 7L pickup pass, I'm certain clever Toyota could get the D-4D through the EPA also. But back to R.E., maybe we'll see a "Classic" 650?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 04:28:59 pm
But back to R.E., maybe we'll see a "Classic" 650?
This seems very likely, as the Indian media has published spy shots of what have been dubbed "Classic 650" machines being tested on several instances.  A photoshop image of what this is anticipated to look like is available here:  https://www.rushlane.com/2021-royal-enfield-classic-650-render-12395909.html

I think that RE could certainly develop a 500 single from the "J" OHC 350, if they chose to do so.  However sales of the various UCE 500 models were disappointing.  Have a look at these published figures: for November of 2018, 500 UCEs represented just 3% of total sales, and by Nov. of 2019,  less than 1%.   https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-nov-2019-sales-break-up-almost-36k-for-classic-350-12346499.html

Although the 650 twins and the Himalayans also have quite poor domestic sales figures, these machines top the export sales lists, the 500s don't.  If only a few of us want them, it's not economic to put money into development of a new model.

However, don't despair, it certainly seems that in some places, one can still buy a brand new 500 UCE, despite the general idea floating around that it is discontinued.  https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=31108.0

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 05:52:20 pm
The 650 twins sell for nearly the same as the UCE 500, I'm with you on the sales figures. A "standard/classic" 650 is a minimal cost way to diversify the lineup & bump offshore 650 sales. The cruiser is supposed to be in the pipeline already so a standard shouldn't be far behind, just some borrowed tinware, wire wheels, shocks and you are there. RE dropped the singles in the 1950's and concentrated on the twins, likely for much the same reasons.

The short 650 cruiser vid from your link:
https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-cruiser-650-ground-clearance-12395585.html

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 06:46:19 pm
The 650 twins sell for nearly the same as the UCE 500, I'm with you on the sales figures. A "standard/classic" 650 is a minimal cost way to diversify the lineup & bump offshore 650 sales.
To me, the current Interceptor is what I'd label the "Standard", the upcoming Classic will be "Retro".  It's interesting that the 650s have already been labeled as "retro" in their current incarnation.  It's just a matter of what decade of development we are trying to be retro to.

I get even more confused trying to differentiate the 350s.  The India moto press is saying the 350 "Roadster" machine that is in development is targeted at competing with the Honda H'Ness, but I thought the H'Ness was intended to compete with the Meteor.  The new OHC Classic will compete most strongly with the UCE, pushrod Classic 350.  That's RE's bread and butter.  Has anybody heard what their intentions are, regarding twilighting the UCE?

Meanwhile, there are other competitors about to emerge, at least for the Asian markets:  https://www.rushlane.com/jawa-650cc-bobber-based-on-bristol-to-rival-royal-enfield-render-12408301.html 

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 04:08:14 am
I could live with that Jawa Bobber👍
Retro is so subjective- be a bike or a piece of furniture or a Lava Lamp, much more to do with age of the writer / reader / purchaser....
Born in 60's, started riding in the 70's the C5 brings back the thrashed out field bikes and the 650's the late 70's early 80's Japanese. Riding dirt bikes in that Era we started on "Greaves" and Finished on Honda "Red Rocket" Elsinores...both RETRO👍😀
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: September 06, 2021, 04:05:49 pm

Understandably though, it rather "smacks" of Imperial Colonialism.

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2021, 09:04:14 pm
The 500 as a "performance" bike was supplanted by the new 650s. The 500 was too much for a mileage obsessed Indian market hence the comparative success of the 350. Enfield is ditching the really antiquated UCE (pushrods... no counterbalancers...) replacing it with what looks like a reliable and newer tech thumper on that J platform.
The 650 can work nicely on fast western roads and it was a HIT with sales, which cannot be said about the UCE500 like, ever.
I am not in the habit of buying new, but I could not resist the proposition of owning a brand new pushrod undersquare decent cc vibrating thumper (the only thing i would have wished for would have been a shaft drive and maybe 50-100 extra cc). I am pretty sure that RE will be following sales and market trends from now on so I dont see a 500 based on J platform in the future. Too many headaches for very little gain.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 12:39:19 am
I am pretty sure that RE will be following sales and market trends from now on so I dont see a 500 based on J platform in the future. Too many headaches for very little gain.
In that case my current 500 Bullet Trials will be my first and last Royal Enfield.  :(
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 04:24:24 am
There's a lot to like here in my opinion. Anyone know if a 500cc version is in the works?

Earlier tonight, at a "Motorcycle Monday" social event, here in Chicago, I met a rider on a RE Conti 650, who told me that a 500cc version of the OHC "J" engine was being worked on, and is definitely in the pipeline, and at least a year in the future.

I did ask how he knew, and the answer was convincing, but he asked me not to tell, or if I did, it was a little bird that told me, so this is all I feel at liberty to say.

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 09:44:34 am
If true, interesting decision, considering the very low sales of the previous 500 (after the twins hit the market). Looking at the specs of 350 J and UCE, the 500 J would have similar performance to the old one. I wonder who would buy it, other than the few enthusiasts here :)

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 10:01:48 am
If is has decent power, I would trade in my interceptor in a heartbeat!!!
cheers and beers
Warwck
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 12:29:27 pm
Seems fairly obvious to me that a 500 would get some sales from those who bought the 650 and/or 350 precisely because there wasn't a 500 to choose. Similarly the Himalayan.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 05:35:11 pm
It's just a piston, barrel & counter balancer away from 500/535? ccs. It's what they did for 50 years, an obvious strategy. Everyone that's ridden the Meteor so far has been impressed with how "real motorcycle" sized it is, so...?

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 12:39:16 am
The 500 thumper was a nightmare to ride and own for some...while others, mine included, could comfortably sit on 60 mph all day and be smooth. Ive ridden some that would vibrate your teeth outta your head and were absolute heaps of shit, others a delight. The reluctance to accept them when a 650 was a similar price was obvious.  I have both a modded 650 and classic 500 and I prefer riding the 500..It offers a relaxed ride, a slow down and smell the road kill feel about it.  HD are going thru the same..the new bikes have little of the older hard metal feel to them even if they are a better engineered item. It come down to what excites your jollies. I grew up on thumpers from the 50s and 60s and I get nostalgic over them , not a 70's Z900 kwaka. RE are catering to the emerging market not us older blokes...
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 10:04:38 pm
I grew up on thumpers from the 50s and 60s
There you go. Once you get to experience thumpers and especially if you start on one, everything else will eventually feel like a car and an experience that is disconnected from the road itself.