Author Topic: Converting flip fuel cap to a screw in, GT 650  (Read 2197 times)

eeeegs

• Scooter
on: May 08, 2021, 06:59:20 pm
I'm not a big fan of the stock fuel cap aesthetic on the Conti GT 650 and would like to replace it with one of these screw-ins from motone

https://www.caferacerwebshop.com/en/motone-custom-fuel-gas-cap-billet-aluminium.html

Any ideas on how to do this easily? Are there adapter kits out there somewhere?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

eeeegs

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 05:44:47 pm
Thanks for the link. No chance I would ever use JB weld as a fuel tank seal though. That is quite an unsafe idea, unfortunately.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 03:16:25 am
Use epoxy putty to create threads for the screw-in gas cap. Coat the cap threads with a thin layer of paraffin wax. Mold the putty to the cap. Unscrew cap out of epoxy when very firm, the wax prevents bonding. When threaded casting is hardened, sand & file threaded casting to desired size/shape. Epoxy putty will bond threaded structure to the tank cavity where the old flip up cap was. Sand to blend in, use Krylon spray paint in gloss black around new cap to "blend in" to existing paint.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 10:55:41 pm
Posted to wrong place?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 07:48:06 pm
Not sure how you'd get a billet aluminum screw-in fuel cap to fit a flip-up gas cap opening otherwise. You'd have to create a sealed, threaded spout; barring access to a Jay Leno grade machine shop, epoxy putty would get you there without welding. Pretty? Likely not. Would it work? Definitely.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 02:34:48 am
Use epoxy putty to create threads for the screw-in gas cap. Coat the cap threads with a thin layer of paraffin wax. Mold the putty to the cap. Unscrew cap out of epoxy when very firm, the wax prevents bonding. When threaded casting is hardened, sand & file threaded casting to desired size/shape. Epoxy putty will bond threaded structure to the tank cavity where the old flip up cap was. Sand to blend in, use Krylon spray paint in gloss black around new cap to "blend in" to existing paint.

Is this something you've done? I've never used epoxy putty but seen it sugested by other people to make small moulds. I'm not calling bullshit on the idea but I'm finding it hard to believe you could wax the cap, fill it with putty and simply unscrew it once hardened. I've built enough moulds and parts from moulds to know that things dont always release easily. A screw thread is a complex shape with lots of kooky angles to hang up on. The closest I've come to what you're describing is flopping thickened epoxy on a tiny 10/32 steel screw, waxed of course. Even those little guys take some effort to crack free. Once they are free though, you do get a nice thread like you describe.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 01:49:26 pm
ACE Motors - sales & administration

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 02:42:53 pm
Nope, things don't always release easily. A smart guy might do a little wiggling & testing while the putty is kicking off. The wax depth on the threads plays a part. Epoxy putty is a useful tool for "make work" situations, by the third or forth try you'd be an expert though.

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 11:19:59 pm
Thanks for the link. No chance I would ever use JB weld as a fuel tank seal though. That is quite an unsafe idea, unfortunately.

I actually did the Monza conversion.
The set up is an external threaded sleeve and a cap that screws on the thread.
The sleeve has to opened up on the inside and fitted to each filler neck since they are all a little bit different.
I attached the sleeve to the cap with blue loctite then I put jb weld around the inside of the sleeve before putting it onto the filler neck.

Once it was installed and set up I then used water weld putty which is resistant to gas and oil and sealed the joint between the filler neck and the sleeve. After that had set up I used POR15 to further ensure a good seal and protect the water weld.
It may seem to be overkill but I have had no issues or leaks.

I looked long and hard for a screw in cap and was not able to find anything. It seemed that the only way to make it happen would be to customize your tank or have one made. $$$
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:22:57 pm by Breaker Express »
2020 Baker Express

Dinasaur

• Scooter
  • Fitter machinest RE Harley Ducati
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 05:41:58 am
The cap you are hoping to use is a pop up flush fit I have fitted these on custom Harleys in the past but you have to use the threaded receptical which is a weld in affair I'm afraid
GT 535 Harley Ducati