Author Topic: Cheers Boys  (Read 1204 times)

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
on: May 08, 2021, 04:58:26 am
Ay up, cheers boys for info found in theses pages, recently got a 08 bullet 500 about 6 weeks ago, found everything here to help with removal of pav stuff, went for the TM32 carb set up and made my own Ace style air canister with velocity stack, bike was stock when I got it apart from short bottle muffler and wrap, got some smaller bullet indicators coming, might have to get some of those Hitchcock front brake shoes you lads talk about, cheers boys for the info to help with my build.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 07:12:32 am
Welcome to the Horde. Nice bike! And a very fine job you've done of the canister. Interesting that it's an '08 without an electric start or even the old primary's "hump" for it left behind.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 07:47:05 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 08:01:40 am
Well I'm guessing it's a 08 it was 1st licensed in 2011 here in NZ , is there any science to the frame numbers like jap Bike eg 8th number or letter from the end tells you the year?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 10:00:30 am
It's similar to how you describe, but the 10th letter or number of the VIN. There's a guide to deciphering it found here: https://www.royalenfields.com/2009/08/what-year-royal-enfield-how-to-tell.html

Models exported to the USA also have a tag with the manufacturing date, an EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) standards conformity statement and other info posted within the right-hand toolbox. But of course your Kiwi import may well vary. In addition, my 2005 also has a black-on-silver label with similar info affixed to the right-hand side of the frame downtube from the headstock. The lack of electric start makes me wonder if yours might not be an imported Indian Home Market model. (And please don't fret or have so much as a nanosecond's regret that yours "lacks" an electric start. They are so unerringly prone to failure that if you DID have one, I'd have urged you to yank it out! A search of the Forum Archive for the word "sprag" should quickly reveal why this is so.)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:19:56 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 05:26:14 pm
My Indian Home Market 350 Bullet Electra (it is an iron barrel) doesn’t have an ID plate on the front down tube. The numbers are stamped directly onto the frame. I’m no expert but I was told that this is how home market bikes can be distinguished.
Paul W.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 09:50:56 pm
Just had a look at the frame number , whether you count 10th number from the start or 8th number back from the end same result 8 , had a look at the tag down from head tube just has frame number on it and a few other numbers that don't seem to mean much to me. Did find on right hand side buy swing arm bolt a marking 11 / 07 and on the rim 11 / 2007  . No tag in tool box so could be we got indian home market out here in NZ , end of the story is looking like it's a 2008 with no electric leg which I'm please about

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 11:59:33 am
Looks good!
Nice job on the Ace Canister.

Very unusual indeed, to have the old style KS engine case with the tunnel for a 5sp left shift. Never seen that before.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 03:18:52 pm
There was a 350 Electra, Indian home market model, K/S only but with the left-foot shifting 5 speed box. Seeing that on a K/S 500 is rare, maybe that was something the New Zealand importer specified with the factory. Either that or it IS the 350 but with the crankcases modified to take the 500 top-end. Does it have points ignition or something electronic on the end of the crankshaft?

All that pipe wrap on the exhaust will help it rust up quickly, looks better with it off!

I have a friend in NZ, on the North Island, with an Indian-built 500 Bullet and and Indian-badged Westerner 500 scrambler. Which end of the Land of the Long White Cloud are you?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 07:42:39 pm
Thanks Ace , I did see a 07 for sale here a few months back and it was a ks like mine with left hand shift, maybe we got few like this out here, Adrian11 it has points in the normal place, and I'm in lower north island maybe your mate that has some experience might be able to shed some light on these anomalies, but yeah I like it!