Author Topic: Tyre choice  (Read 11417 times)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
on: May 04, 2021, 02:48:46 am
To revisit (sorry) an older thread, I’d really like to put larger tyres on my GT. Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience with the Continental CR (Classic Racer) range? Are they so skewed toward racing that they have a ridiculous warm-up time? The 110\80 & 150/65 look exactly like what I’m looking for size-wise, and they’re designed for our rim sizes.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 04:45:52 am
Welcome back. I was covid had got you.
Previously "Haggisman"

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 04:48:39 am

You wish covid had got him?

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 09:01:46 am
To revisit (sorry) an older thread, I’d really like to put larger tyres on my GT. Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience with the Continental CR (Classic Racer) range? Are they so skewed toward racing that they have a ridiculous warm-up time? The 110\80 & 150/65 look exactly like what I’m looking for size-wise, and they’re designed for our rim sizes.
The only things I know about them is that they are horrendously expensive and as a race tyre they will not last long on the road and unless you have good quality suspension you will thrown through a hedge long before you ran out of grip.
what do you want them for? Grip? there are plenty of other tyres out there with plenty of grip. Looks? that's up to to you, the GT is a slow turning bike and those tyre sizes will slow it down even more. Bigger is not always better.
When I replace my tyres it will be with the Conti Road Attack3 in OE sizes.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:04:20 am
The only things I know about them is that they are horrendously expensive and as a race tyre they will not last long on the road and unless you have good quality suspension you will thrown through a hedge long before you ran out of grip.
what do you want them for? Grip? there are plenty of other tyres out there with plenty of grip. Looks? that's up to to you, the GT is a slow turning bike and those tyre sizes will slow it down even more. Bigger is not always better.
When I replace my tyres it will be with the Conti Road Attack3 in OE sizes.
Slow turning bike?. Thisl little beauty is as nimble as you could hope for.

I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

justonemore

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 10:45:05 am
Slow turning bike?. Thisl little beauty is as nimble as you could hope for.

+1
If mine was any quicker turning you'd call it twitchy.

TWITCHY ... nervous and worried, sometimes showing this through sudden movements or movements that do not appear smooth or relaxed.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 11:27:01 am
+1
If mine was any quicker turning you'd call it twitchy.

TWITCHY ... nervous and worried, sometimes showing this through sudden movements or movements that do not appear smooth or relaxed.
+2
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 11:37:26 am

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 12:12:17 pm

Should read what I write with greater care.
My concern is for Starpeve, he has been absent for a while, I am very pleased he is OK!
Previously "Haggisman"

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 12:13:16 pm
Compared to the Interceptor the GT is slow steering and compared to my GS very slow steering.  And no there is nothing wrong with my bike. They have conservative steering geometry and a heavy wheel/ tyre combo that has a lot of gyroscopic resistance to direction change. Try riding something like a Yamaha mt07, now that is a quick steering bike.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 12:54:30 pm
Compared to the Interceptor the GT is slow steering and compared to my GS very slow steering.  And no there is nothing wrong with my bike. They have conservative steering geometry and a heavy wheel/ tyre combo that has a lot of gyroscopic resistance to direction change. Try riding something like a Yamaha mt07, now that is a quick steering bike.
You're not wrong. But it is so subjective. One rider's "quickness" is another rider's "twitchy".
The physical effort to initiate a turn can be effected by the leverage of the handle bar and profile shape of the tires, etc. Mind you the basics have to be in order. For me the test of a bike being "right" is if it can handle changing speed during a curve without making me look drunk ;).
   In the end, when I switch bikes, after the first couple of curves my brain and mind adjusts and whatever motorcycle I'm riding at the moment is my favorite.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

justonemore

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 01:25:12 pm

it is so subjective.

when I switch bikes, after the first couple of curves my brain and mind adjusts and whatever motorcycle I'm riding at the moment is my favorite.

I rode my GT for 6 months before I checked the tyre pressure, found each to be 10 lbs low. Pumped them up, huge difference for 5 minutes then it just felt like MY bike again. If you want to go fast, don't pi** about adjusting stuff, just ride harder  ;)

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 05:35:09 pm
Try riding something like a Yamaha mt07, now that is a quick steering bike.

My son's 390 Duke is so quick steering it borders on ridiculous. But what a fun bike!!
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 05:45:43 pm
I rode my GT for 6 months before I checked the tyre pressure, found each to be 10 lbs low. Pumped them up, huge difference for 5 minutes then it just felt like MY bike again. If you want to go fast, don't pi** about adjusting stuff, just ride harder  ;)

So are you saying "It's about the rider"?  8)   (joke about another thread)

I agree with several of you. A ton of minor or major adjustments can be made. Be willing to experiment a little and document your changes, so if you ever want to go back to "what it was"... you can do so.
2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

Royal Low

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 06:25:01 pm
Ok sorry to jack your thread. But iv been wanting different tires also but I'm have trouble finding the Front :-100/90-18, Rear :-130/70-18. What other sizes will fit our stock wheels with out modifications to the bike.