Author Topic: Boyer Powerbox Fitment  (Read 1104 times)

jobinjv

• Scooter
on: May 30, 2021, 06:38:59 pm
Hi

I read a lot of articles on Boyer powerbox but I was not able to get the information on any from the point I was looking for.

I have a 2010 Classic 500 Indian built. I purchased a Boyer Three Phase Powerbox back in 2019.

Was never able to fix it/come back home due to Covid and now after 2 long years back home and back on the project.

In regards to the fitment, I already have a rectifier fitted on the C5 on the forks. Should I remove this and fit the Powerbox in this location or is there any other location I have to do this

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 08:21:01 am
What is wrong with the standard reg/rec? why do you want to replace it and what advantages will the powerbox give you?
You obviously do not need two boxes to do the same job.

Frank

jobinjv

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 04:24:52 pm
I'm not a regular rider, I have made a lot of changes to meet that. One was the LiFeo4 battery as I found the C5 drains the battery if not used for some time.

During this time I made this purchase as I read it will even start the bullet if the battery is dead.

After 2 years, I am back home and for two years, the bike has not started, and as I am locked in, I wanted to start the fitment on my own.

So, I wanted to be double sure that the way to go was to remove the rectifier on the forks and fit the powerbox in its place.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 06:25:07 pm
A 2010 bullet will be a UCE model with electronic ignition and EFI.
I very much doubt it would start with a completely dead battery - even kick starting.

Frank

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 11:21:15 pm
Try an isolator switch, but if you're leaving the bike for any length of time, better to either put it on a proper battery tender, or disconnect the battery..

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 02:07:33 am
I have never heard of anyone using a Powerbox on a UCE.
I always thought it was for Iron Barrel models only.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jobinjv

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 11:36:01 am
Try an isolator switch, but if you're leaving the bike for any length of time, better to either put it on a proper battery tender, or disconnect the battery.

I did have a battery tender on a timer which gave way after few years. I usually used to have folks start it once or twice a week and let it run for a while while I was away.

I have never heard of anyone using a Powerbox on a UCE.
I always thought it was for Iron Barrel models only.

Well, I read on a forum or a blog, two years back, and got it as battery drain was driving me nuts. Would it not be a good idea to put it to use on a UCE ?

I am also in the process of removing the Fi to a carburetor system. The early Indian Fi variants need regular drives. The O2 Sensor in them is different from the export version which means they need good fuel all the time.

People will ask why then did I get a C5, well back in 2010 that was the only thing that looked like something and I was not too good with the gear on the right.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 11:11:21 pm
I did have a battery tender on a timer which gave way after few years. I usually used to have folks start it once or twice a week and let it run for a while while I was away.

If you have a battery tender, rather than a trickle charger, you leave it connected. They're easy. No timers, or on and off regime. They are intelligent enough to sense the battery's state and charge, automatically switch off and, when needed, start charging again, and then put the battery through a load / drain cycle as well, to keep it in fine fettle. Switching it on and off just sets it back to zero each time.

Just a check every couple of months that it's all still alive. My tenders have been going at least a few years without failure, but I've read of some occasionally failing.