Author Topic: Booster plug  (Read 2977 times)

dlapierre

• Scooter
on: April 17, 2021, 03:18:41 pm
I installed one on my Himalayan yesterday. A bit of a fiddly job to install it, but it does indeed make a difference. Not so much power-wise, but the acceleration is smoother, it idles better, and seems less reluctant to run at 4k rpm and better.
Without it, the bike seemed hungry for fuel at those engine speeds. Not any more.
I think it is a good addition to this bike.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:45:36 pm
Thanks for the feedback - it’s still on my wish list... ;)

Regards
Toni

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 01:06:51 am
Thanks for the feedback - it’s still on my wish list... ;)

Regards
Toni

When you decide the time is right they are available in the U.S. If you know where to look.   :-X
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 04:41:25 pm
Wouldn't increasing the TPS voltage output would achieve similar gains but for no outlay?  It's made a tangible difference to previous EFI models, can't see why the Himmy would be an exception.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:43:34 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 08:15:19 pm
No. It just changes the zero point of the throttle.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 05:00:47 am
How would one simply increase the tps voltage output?

Wouldn't that just be "turning the throttle faster? Or do you mean actually increase the voltage beyond the stock range?

Regards
Toni

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 05:46:56 am
The TPS is just a potentiometer. The max voltage is provided by the ECU.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 09:48:12 am
The ECU provides a predetermined amount of fuel for a given throttle position. If the ECU believes the throttle plate is open wider than it actually is because the TPS output voltage has been increased at any [all] throttle plate positions then more fuel is supplied for the same amount of air so the bike runs richer than normal.  Just wondering why this method hasn't at least been tried when it's worked on EuroIV Enfield engines quite successfully. I didn't know if EuroV now had the  TPS unit fixed in one position to avoid making any changes which would improve the running of the engine but increase unwanted pollutants
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 10:26:26 am by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 10:25:19 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNYGt2RW8pM&t=12s     
I've found 0.63v is a  good compromise between better running and ruining economy!

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 11:16:25 am
The next thing the EFi does to provide stable idle is to readjust to the lowest TPS voltage it gets over time. The adjustable voltage of the TPS only affects idle mixture. It is somehow like the idle mixture screw on a Carb.

It has nothing to do with delivering more or less fuel in other rpm ranges.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:46:50 am by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
  • U.S. Spec RE parts & THE FIN intake.
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 11:35:37 am
Don't forget the MAP sensor..   That seems to have the greatest effect when changing parts.

Good discussion   It covers the EFI models.

Thanks

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 01:19:57 pm
Fiddling with the MAP sensor is a little more complex.

There are two ways a EFI could react to changes of the driver. The simplest ist called alpha-n.

Alpha stands for the angle of the Butterfly in the manifold. n for the rpm. So if I turn the gasgrip, the Butterfly opens and the TPS (Throttle position sensor) sends the new angle to the EFI. The EFI looksup in a map, how much gas should be injected at the current rpm, and good we are.

The other method is Speed density. For this we need a MAP (Manifold air pressure) sensor. It measures the ambient air pressure before we start the engine. Then it measures the changing pressure inside the manifold relating to ambient pressure while we turn the grip. The changes are most pronounced in areas, where we have a lot of throttle movement. So in low speed. In high speed the Throttle is nearly all open all the time, so the pressure difference is low. And then unusable as a sufficient sensor signal. The MAP sensor indicates the load of the engine. More load means more gas necessary. The ECU looksup in a map, how much gas it has to deliver at this specific load.

The load is different, if you pull the trigger and have large alpha differences in low gear  or in high gears. Or driving on a plane road or climbing a mountain pass.

Both philosophys work best at their specific range. Speed density is good for low and crusing speed, as the pressure differences are big. Alpha-n works best at large throttle openings, where the pressure differences are low, but the change in throttle position is still a valid data.

So the Keihin ECU does exactly that. It works with speed density in low areas and switches to alpha-n in higher areas.

What about fiddling with the map sensor. One could think that by changing the voltage output of the map sensor would change the mixture in lower/cruising areas. That is not the case. First of all the MAP sensor just measures differences to the first ambient pressure of the not-running bike. So if I change the voltage, it would just measure another ambient pressure and the changes would be equal.

If I fiddle more and change the voltage after the bike runs, it would work for a while. But the EFI remeasures the ambient air pressure while running. This allows the engine to adapt to height changes while driving up a mountain. This measurement is done at a preset angle of the crankshaft, where the MAP pressure is most likely the ambient pressure.

There were aftermarket devices on the market which fiddled with the map sensor data. But they were expensive and not as effecticve as the simple Booster Plug devices.

It could be that another MAP sensor with a changed characteritic could make a differnece, but that depneds on the EFI programming. And as far as I know all MAP sensors are mass produced and quite equal.

When I tune the Keihin EFI with a powertronic or eual device, I dont have to think about what system is used, the EFI tuning system presents me an calculated value (sometimes called FTC ore otherwise) that combines both methods to a single Load-value.

Lemma1:
The easiest fix for more fuel in the whole rpm band would be a 10% bigger fuel injector. I have done it on several bikes. But it only works in Open-Loop operation (no Lambda sensors).

Lemma 2: When you use overpressure systems (Turbocharger or compressor) you have to have an Alpha-n regulation.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:41:27 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 01:37:16 pm
Excellent explanation ...   So the MAP sensor acts like a power valve in an auto carb.

It seems that just changing mufflers or air filter (all owners seem to do it ) throws off the map sensor.

Making the bike run rich ?????     

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 01:44:02 pm
Not exactly, depends more on the values in the VE Map.The dependencies of air pressure changes and more air volume is not simple. Normally if you open up air filter and exhaust the mixture gets lean.

It could be different in multicylinder cars, where the changes in MAP pressure in the manifold is more equalized.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:47:13 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 02:47:59 pm
Seems like the last time I changed to free flowing muffler.

The pipe turned black and so did the plug.   

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 07:43:00 pm
I am a little bit lost already with all that theory...

Does a Booster plug now improve something or is there any risk with it?

I have found a German Guy who explains how it works, just with a thermistor, a NTC type B3950 10K in series with the existing sensor. At least he was happy with the result...

Thanks for your advice

Regards
Toni

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 08:54:47 pm
Yes, they do work. At least in low to cruising speeds . They trick the EFi to think that the air is colder than it really is so it has to provide more fuel. That leads to an enriched mixture and to better ridability.
www.enfieldtech.de

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 10:33:34 pm
I installed a Booster Plug on my 2020 KTM 390 Duke. It did help smooth the fueling below 4K rpm, but being a single cylinder engine with no noticeable flywheel, it can only do so much.  Over ten years ago I also installed a Booster Plug on my 2009 BMW F650GS twin. That device did nothing to smooth out low speed running and off-idle response, but it made a huge difference in full-throttle (open loop) response by getting rid of a couple of flat spots above 4K rpm. So how well it works likely has a lot to do with an engine's ECU programming. I doubt that the BMW's emission programming is very sophisticated compared with the KTM's fueling map. From reading Booster Plug's free downloadable booklet of how it functions, it sounds to me like the more complicated the ECU's map is the better it works.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 07:37:35 am
Seems like the last time I changed to free flowing muffler.

The pipe turned black and so did the plug.

That sounds strange.

A free flowing muffler is lacking backpressure. That means that fresh air is able to flow back into the exhaust and delete the vacuum, which normally helps to gain torque in lower rpm ranges.
If this fresh air reaches the lambda sensor, it measures a more lean mixture than it really was. This could lead the ECU to enrich the mixture.
But this effect is not general. Some bikes do it, some bikes not. Also depends on the original programming of the ECU, which we dont know of.

Nevertheless this effect should not be so big, that it blackenes the plugs.

Another explanation would be that the Lambda Sensor got broken during the process. They are quite brittle and the head brakes quite easily outside the exhaust.
www.enfieldtech.de

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 12:25:10 am
Ev’nin

Stolen from Hitchcocks Forum

Topic

Re:Booster Plugs

As it says”Scroll down “

https://www.bmwklubben.se/forum/viewtop ... 18&t=24544

Quite a few interesting topics on Hitchcocks Forum
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎