Author Topic: Rear wheel - stiff rotation when torqued up  (Read 1173 times)

excollier

• Scooter
on: April 16, 2021, 06:40:04 pm
The rear wheel bearings on my Himalayan failed today - managed to get the bike home (wobbly ride though)
Brake side (rhs) bearing had completely failed, at only 5000 km/3000 miles
Got both bearings replaced at a local workshop very quickly.
Once re-assembled the wheel gets stiffer to rotate as I increase torque - being very stiff at recommended torque of 70 NM - a little more free at the minimum of 60 NM, but still not rotating freely.
Does anyone have any idea why this might be? The bike seems to ride ok when I took it a very short test ride.
All suggestions appreciated, thanks
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 09:19:45 pm
Sounds like you are either missing a spacer between the bearing inner races or the existing one has collapsed & effectively shortened the distance.

The center spacer prevents bearing side loading, which you seem to have. The shop may have lost the spacer or didn't notice it being damaged. The side loaded bearings will fail in short order due to stresses they were never designed for, even if greased.

Rear hub bearing replacement is a simple job, well within the capabilities of the home tinkerer. Were the replacement bearings rubber shielded? Wheel bearing replacement is the kind of stuff that is best done by the owner, as the owner is pretty much the only guy that has a vested interest in it being done right; it's a job that doesn't take special tooling.

Pull the wheel off and see if the spacer is still in there. There shouldn't be any side slop between it and the bearings.

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook-pages/5292  -  this shows an "exploded" view.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/41886?qty=1&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F5292
This shows the spacer itself. It is pretty thin wall item, I'm thinking it deformed or rusted away.
2018 Himalayan - PART No. 587501 ; SPACER ASSEMBLY - REAR HUB ; £5.03
Good Hunting and report back what you find - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 07:55:07 am
I will ask them at the workshop - sounds plausible or it may have been missing to begin with - thanks for the info
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 10:07:36 am
update - it seems I re-assembled the short spindle (inside/behind the sprocket) the wrong way round,  I took it apart and re-assembled it - wheel turns much more freely now (not perfect but way better)

Seems you would need three hands just to change the back wheel, very fiddly.

Thanks for your pointers

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 02:27:34 am
Well done, I'm glad it was an easy fix. We've all made those sorts of mistakes.

Seems you would need three hands just to change the back wheel, very fiddly.

Only three hands?  :o
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

kiamalife

• Neophyte
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 07:00:01 am
Thanks for the topic