Author Topic: Lucas High low off switch connections to wiring system.  (Read 417 times)

Rory123

• Scooter
Hi All ,

My first post and New to the world of RE.

I have just had my late fathers RE 1995 Bullet (not sure of the model  I believe Indian export)  shipped to the uk and am in the process of trying to get it up and running.

I remember my father saying to me that it used to be a 6v and he converted it to a 12v .

This is as much information I have re the Bike .

The manuals that came with it show a 12v wiring system. But he might have had them to convert.

All Bulbs are 12  and the coil is 12v.

I have just ordered a new Lucas off L/H switch and was wondering how to wire it up .

I don’t have the red/ white wire that comes from the ignition so I’m assuming as a 6v there was no need for this .

Attached are some pics of what I have .

Any tips or things to check or which wires to put where would be most appreciated.

If more info needed I can find it out.

Novice but willing to learn .[/img][/img]

Rory123

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 06:58:24 pm
Forgot to add that I wired it up as per the instructions but it blows the 20 amp fuse when I turn it on

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:19:28 pm
Try just the following connections on the lighting switch.

Terminal 2: to headlamp dipswitch;

Terminal 3: 12V power in from the ammeter;

Terminal 4: Pilot/parking lights;

Terminal 5: Speedometer light and tail light.

THAT'S IT! DON'T WIRE UP ANY OTHER TERMINALS FOR 12V!

If that doesn't work drop me a private message, I have a simplified wiring diagram.

Roughly where in the UK are you? They've let a few of us Brits sign on here!

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Rory123

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:28 pm
Hi Adrian,

Thanks so much I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know if any joy.

I’m  from  Taunton , originally from Malawi where the bike came from. It has not run for about 15 years so I think a lot work to be done !!

Thanks again.

Rory

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 07:18:00 pm
If it's blowing fuse that indicates short, you must have the wires in the wrong place, those wires in the switch don't look neat a lot of bear wire hanging off nearly touching another terminal.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 09:44:43 pm
Bear wires? A grizzly fate awaits. Bare wires aren't such a good idea either...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:14:52 am
If it's blowing a 20 amp fuse every time you turn it on, it has one serious sort circuit, l don't like the look of those connections and the strands of wire going everywhere, bit of a disaster in contex. I would clean up the screw connector wires and check they are connected in the right sequence, firstly you know it's a switch related issue because it only blows when operated, so check all the wires on that circuit. Seems to me you have a live contacting ground causing a short, check the diagrams again make sure you have not wrongly connect the feeds. Also check inside the headlight look at the wires via a magnifying glass look for any arks on wires caused by blowing fuse.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:40:44 am by Karl Fenn »

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 12:57:00 pm
A useful tool to have in your box whilst examining electric circuits.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 08:38:22 pm
Mind you with hindsight l think on a bike that old for my own peace of mind l would go through everything, especially the electrics and all connectors, and the fuel system and brakes, give it a good recommissioning.

Rory123

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 01:07:58 pm
Update... finally got the new switch in and wired up .... no fuses blown and all in tip top shape Ta to Adrian for the help. It’s much appreciated.

Now onto the next thing!! Oil change!