Author Topic: Throttle lock fitment - Interceptor  (Read 3511 times)

wynbro

• Scooter
on: April 04, 2021, 10:31:10 am
 I have an Interceptor 650 and suffer from rotator cuff pain in my right shoulder exacerbated by anything more than 30 minute ride. I am considering fitting the Atlas or Kuono thrott!e lock to the bike. Has anyone any experience of this or other devices, which would allow me to fix a throttle opening whilst riding in order to ease my shoulder.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 11:03:18 am
Well on the older BMW s they had a simple tension adjuster with a protruding spring, it came out from the bottom of the throttle just screwed in with the tension spring, the pressure put friction on the grip body causing enough friction to keep the throttle where you set it.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 11:23:01 am
I have an Interceptor 650 and suffer from rotator cuff pain in my right shoulder exacerbated by anything more than 30 minute ride. I am considering fitting the Atlas or Kuono thrott!e lock to the bike. Has anyone any experience of this or other devices, which would allow me to fix a throttle opening whilst riding in order to ease my shoulder.
There are a lot of choices. I've used them, a lot. I use the original friction thumb lock style from Vista Cruise https://www.soundoffrec.com/products/cruise.aspx
It is, OMO, the most simple, effective and unobtrusive. It is also conveniently one of the less expensive ones.  I haven't installed the one for my RE yet, but will. I have them on all the others.
   Here is a short article by a guy with a shoulder issue and installed a Vista Cruise
https://www.motopsyco.com/2015/09/14/install-a-vista-cruise-throttle-lock/
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

wynbro

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 01:28:17 pm
Thank you both for the prompt input. More musing to do before I buy. Keep your thoughts coming for the moment, anyone.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 01:44:05 pm
I tried one of these

http://www.omni-cruise.com/

But the vibration from my 535 single made it slowly jiggle shut. The carb slide springs on my Pantah overpowered it. From memory it seemed to work well on the light throttle, smooth engine of the injected Monster.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 02:04:02 pm
Well this can be an issue l put upgraded springs on my throttle arms, you had to put a lot of tension on it to get it to work l stopped using it.

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 02:47:24 pm
My first big bike was a 59 Harley panhead.  It had a solid wire throttle cable with no return spring on the carb.  Instant cruise control.  My Yam SR500 had dual cables to the carb throttle linkage.  I figured, there's a cable to open the throttle and one to close it.  Why do I need a return spring.  I unhooked it from the linkage, took out as much slack on the cables as I could get away with, and ran it like that for the next seven year.  I did same thing with another bike (I think it was the Yam Vision).  Worked great.  You had to manually and deliberately close the throttle with the twist grip. But that soon became instinctive.  Just like riding the old Harley.  No idea if you can get away with that on the RE.  I've not pulled the cover to look, but it does have twin cables.

650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 04:45:01 pm
I had one on the Triumph...can’t remember the brand, will have to look it up.  Flimsy, but it it the job.

Was thinking of adding one to the RE, so glad to see some of the other options recommended.
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 04:46:50 pm
There are a lot of choices. I've used them, a lot. I use the original friction thumb lock style from Vista Cruise https://www.soundoffrec.com/products/cruise.aspx
It is, OMO, the most simple, effective and unobtrusive. It is also conveniently one of the less expensive ones.  I haven't installed the one for my RE yet, but will. I have them on all the others.
   Here is a short article by a guy with a shoulder issue and installed a Vista Cruise
https://www.motopsyco.com/2015/09/14/install-a-vista-cruise-throttle-lock/

Vista cruise has been around forever cause they are simple and they work in most cases.

Exactly which one are you going to use on your Interceptor?

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 04:57:32 pm
Found it...  This is what I had on the Triumph Thruxton R

Sound Off Recreational Nep Cruise Control MCCC20-P https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJGLY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_C6XCJPQBXD2PBZDEG5RN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fairly inexpensive and was easy to install...

I wonder how to it compares with those mentioned in this thread...  time to do some research
Ride safe!
Wachuko

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 04:59:24 pm
I'm not sure my suggestion would work well in this instance, but I fit a $10 Crampbuster to the twistgrips of all my bikes, going back many years.  Simply a plastic paddle, that snaps over the grip (I supplement with a 1/4" sheet metal screw to prevent slippage) but it allows me not to have to squeeze the grip.  Instead, I merely have to rest the heel of my palm on the device and I can hold to freeway speeds easily, with little wrist strain.  It's not a cruise control as speed will fall off or increase depending on road elevation changes, but then most of the throttle locks do not imitate a cruise control either.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 05:10:05 pm
Vista cruise has been around forever cause they are simple and they work in most cases.

Exactly which one are you going to use on your Interceptor?
I'm not at home today but when you look at their products page it is the first one listed.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 08:48:27 pm
Home now... easier to look all this up in the computer than using the phone...

So the NEP that I used on the Triumph is from the same company... just their most inexpensive one...

NVDucati, do share your experience with the install on your RE when you get to it...

If you are saying the first one on the list... you went with the - Model # MCVICO – Fits many Honda motorcycle with 7/8” handlebars.?

Ride safe!
Wachuko

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 11:10:22 pm

NVDucati, do share your experience with the install on your RE when you get to it...

If you are saying the first one on the list... you went with the - Model # MCVICO – Fits many Honda motorcycle with 7/8” handlebars.?
Yeah, it is the first one as you note. The main thing is to get it for the 7/8" bar size (they have them for 1" as well).
   AS for mounting them, one has to keep in mind that these are friction devices such that when you "thumb it on" while riding it is just a bit more resistance than the return spring on the bike has pull. It never really "locks" it. The resistance has a  screw adjustment. By removing that screw it will hinge open to around the handle bar so you that you don't need to remove the grip to install.
   You will notice that on the underneath side there is a "foot" (my term). It is a 90° bit with a slot on the horizontal section. That slot it to capture one of the throttle cables just to keep the Vista from rotating when you twist the throttle, either way. It is a "universal" gig so you will need to do a little something to keep it around the throttle cable. For me, I just go ahead and drill a small hole on the vertical section near the bottom. The hole is just large enough to accept a piece of safety wire or a paperclip. On my V-2 I used a plastic tie wrap temporarily, about 3 years ago. No big magic. It just needs to be stronger than the force of the retuern spring.
   AS for using it: Know going in that it is not a electronic cruise control unit. Those are sold in a different aisle  ;). Satisfaction comes once you learn to push the thumb lever first and THEN make the fine throttle position which will maintain your desired speed. Once deployed, you are welcome to readjust for that hill or speed limit sign, etc without disengaging it. If something sudden comes up, just twist the throttle closed.
   For members who ache for old guy stories, before thes came out in the early '70s yes there were built in knobs surrounded by a spring. The Brit bikes of the '60s would mock them and spit that knob and spring to the ground from vibration. Personally, I had a short piece cord tied to the handle bar that I would slip into the space between the grip and the switch box. Friction. Same thing as these but these are better. It is nice to have both hands available to zip or unzip, relax your neck and shoulders / wrist or strike a pose by lighting a cigarette (kidding).

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 03:33:27 pm
...It is nice to have both hands available to zip or unzip, relax your neck and shoulders / wrist or strike a pose by lighting a cigarette (kidding).

This is the only reason that I want it... to be able to light up the cigar and when taking a zip of whisky from the flask... need both hands for that.

;D ;D ;D

Seriously, on long trips, it is just great to relax the right hand from time to time.  I have come to appreciate cruise control on my previous bikes... and those that did not have it, a throttle lock was perfect...

I remember also having the throttle rest in one of the bikes (I think it was back when I had the Yamaha Roadstar)... another cool gadget.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Liberty Blacksmith

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 03:31:14 pm

I have a plastic paddle gizmo which have been used on several bikes, not sure of the brand. The principle is using the heel of your palm to apply throttle instead of straining the wrist. As I had a broken wrist years ago and carpal tunnel surgery this helped a great deal. The BMW K100 had the aforementioned adjustable tensioner on the throttle cable which worked great.
Haven't used the paddle gizmo on the Interceptor yet but it is a universal fit and sure it would help you.

wynbro

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 04:29:57 pm
I finally decided on a Kuono throttle lock which I collected today. Will give a review in due course.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 12:11:31 am
I finally decided on a Kuono throttle lock which I collected today. Will give a review in due course.

I tried searching for that one... could not find it.  Can you share a link to it?
Ride safe!
Wachuko

birguy

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 03:23:32 am
I know this is an older thread but I refenced it when getting a throttle lock. I tried a vista cruise MCVICO but it always was binding the throttle. After trying that I sprung for a Kaoko ENF110 -> https://kaoko.com/product/enf110/ didn't have any trouble installing it and works well. It is pricey though. Note the Kaoko works with stock bars and goes between the grip and bar end weight. I doubt it will work if you have bar end mirrors installed.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:25:39 am by birguy »

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 09:48:51 am
Rubber bands between the throttle and switch block helped me out on a looong straight tour to Ayers Rock years ago

gotbikes

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 02:03:36 pm
Hello, lots of mentions about Sound-offs. Has anyone actually fitted one to the Interceptor yet, and if so which model?
I've used them on my last 4 machines and they work acceptably well - not superbly but they work. I have trouble laying out $200.00 ish CAD for a Kaoko or an Atlas.  I'm expecting delivery of my new R.E. soon but can't see the throttle configuration to know which one, if any, will work.
Cheers, Robert

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 02:54:30 pm
Hello, lots of mentions about Sound-offs. Has anyone actually fitted one to the Interceptor yet, and if so which model?
I've used them on my last 4 machines and they work acceptably well - not superbly but they work. I have trouble laying out $200.00 ish CAD for a Kaoko or an Atlas.  I'm expecting delivery of my new R.E. soon but can't see the throttle configuration to know which one, if any, will work.
Cheers, Robert
Vista Cruise works perfectly on my GT. One change I had to make was with the part that is suppose to grip the throttle cable. That caused the binding mentioned by others. I rotated the lock so it matched up with the flat bottom of the switch. It lays flat against the bottom of the switch which holds it in place. No problems in about 1K miles with it.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

bikelee

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 12:06:45 pm
 8) I use a combination of the paddle and a throttle lock.
 https://www.amazon.com/Go-Cruise-Motorcycle-Throttle-Control/dp/B00TIEATVY
 Works very well and NOT expensive. I think about $30 for both.