Author Topic: $5 Off Coupon for any Pittsburgh Pro Ratchet at Harbor Freight  (Read 2499 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
There's a mystically eternal never-expiring coupon over at the Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database  for $5 Off Any Pittsburgh Pro Ratchet at https://www.hfqpdb.com/view_coupon/17525. Here it is up close and personal (also attached for posterity and your easy downloading pleasure):

As you can see here at https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Pittsburgh%20ratchet, their Pittsburgh line has lots of wacky styles to suit most anyone's kinks. Stubbies, bendies, extendies, torquies, double-sidies...The gang's all there. Like the kids say, it's all very diverse and "woke".

Seeing as I was there today anyhow on the last day of their Presidents Day Sale grabbing 5 items under $10 for 30% Off, I used that "Eternal Coupon" to pick up one of their 3-Piece Thumbwheel Ratchet Sets for just 99¢ for tight spots, shits-n-giggles and Fingerspitzengefühl.

OK, Pittsburgh may not be Snap-On or some other high-falutin' brand, but it does have a lifetime warranty and won't cost you like a semester's tuition at Princeton for a socket set. Show me a ratchet I can get from the tool truck guy for 99¢, and I'll get that.

In bizarre contrast to that "Eternal Coupon", according to The Bear at Den of Tools, it looks like there are some big changes coming, with that whole coupon-clipping thing perhaps coming to an end at Harbor Freight: https://youtu.be/kU8HsBQ99vM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:53:01 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 06:23:22 pm
When I was working part of my job was to ensure our service trucks were kept stocked with tools. The problem was the guys were always losing them, so we finally decided to go with Harbor Freight stuff, it was inexpensive, easy to get, and the mechanics could stop in there anytime they needed something and buy it with our company credit card.

Surprisingly we found it to be pretty good stuff and very durable. Most of our stuff was big and heavy, 3/4 ratchets, 2" wrenches stuff like that, and I could buy 6 from Harbor Freight for every one from Snap-on.  I'd much rather the guys lost a $50.00 3/4 Harbor Freight ratchet than one from Snap-on which set me back around $600.00

Their new "ICON" stuff seems to compare well with the tool truck brands, and the durability certainly seems to be there. FWIW I think they're a great bargain.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:01:32 pm
The main issue I've ever had with cheap tools ( not talking the Chinese Political Prisoner, casually stamped, truly horrendous "velveeta cheese" grade steel ones ) is that they tend to be more bulky than the top end brand. Not a problem most of the time, but when things get tight Snap-On is hard to beat. As Zimmemr says it rather depends on who's buying them. Pawn shops are sometimes a good source of hand tools.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:50:56 pm
The main issue I've ever had with cheap tools ( not talking the Chinese Political Prisoner, casually stamped, truly horrendous "velveeta cheese" grade steel ones ) is that they tend to be more bulky than the top end brand. Not a problem most of the time, but when things get tight Snap-On is hard to beat. As Zimmemr says it rather depends on who's buying them. Pawn shops are sometimes a good source of hand tools.

That's a valid point, the wall thickness of some of those off-brand sockets is probably double that of Snap-On. If you can't make it strong just make it big right? It wasn't an issue with the stuff we worked on in the field, but in the shop it might have made a difference, I know my ancient 10 mm Snap-On box wrench will sneak into places you'd never fit something like an SK, Craftsman or even a MAC without grinding it 3/4 of the way through.

Also in my experience Snap-On screwdrivers, especially their Phillips are still the best you can buy. They turn a screw that absolutely nothing else will budge, without tering it apart.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
I still got my 70s ellora little bit of of rust but still ok, l keep them as a spare set the Germans made good stuff in those days, l am certain they will out live me.