Author Topic: Cycle world article on India's love of classic motorcycles.  (Read 1408 times)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
There's an interesting, if slightly superficial article on the state of motorcycle manufacturing in India in today's Cycle World:
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/india-is-crazy-for-classic-motorcycles/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&tp=i-1NGB-Et-SoW-1EK0gJ-1c-1zkX-1c-1EKNBD-l5Znr6YXig-xOVcE.

Apologies if the link doesn't work.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:27:24 am
Classic = practical & pragmatic. Indians like things that don't break the wallet and you can keep running. Probably not a lot of Hayabusa's & V-Max's prowling the highways there.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 03:27:08 am
Classic = practical & pragmatic. Indians like things that don't break the wallet and you can keep running. Probably not a lot of Hayabusa's & V-Max's prowling the highways there.

I'm finding out that I have more in common with them everyday. :)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 11:22:20 pm
Bajaj bought the Excelsior-Henderson name?

I wouldn't have guessed that this brand would have much market cache in India, considering it was an american made product and went out of production in 1931.

I do like those inline 4s mounted on the long axis of the frame.  The Nimbus engine, with it's exposed valve gear, is particularly attractive.   I also enjoy the Sunbeam twins, S7 and S8.  If one of you guys wants to sell your Nimbus or your Sunbeam, let me know.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Well perhaps that tells you simple engineering that an be repaired with limited tools is not such a bad thing, as the economy gets worse more people will be attracted to that, Jawa are planning to export to uk, although they are a bit pricy.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
But let's not forget in India they love classics but the facts are they were British classics in the first place.