Author Topic: Text no longer "wraps"  (Read 3025 times)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
on: July 26, 2020, 11:11:46 am
Admin / Moderators: Lately, I find that longer posts no longer wrap but just go on along a single line such that the whole message can't be seen. (even using the horizontal slider) I have looked on two different computers and different browsers.  When I copy and paste the content into a text editor, I see the instruction: [size=78%]I read somewhere that fully synthetic is required for correct operation of the slipper clutch. Having said that any oil that meets the spec will do, if doesn't have to be expensive stuff.[/size]
[/size]

Is it just me?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 06:18:23 pm
This issue has come up with individual members before, often described as "broken word wrap" or "loss of margins". Often it just seems to solve itself after a bit.

Despite my recently-acquired high-falutin' title of "Global Moderator", which along with my wholly unearned status of "Grand Gearhead" and bright new "Blue Balls" makes my user blurb to the left come off like it might belong to Kim Jong-Un and Dennis Rodman's genetically-enhanced Love Child, I'm really just a glorified "Auxiliary Roach Stomper" for when the spammers come to town, and not a "Real Admin" at all. Still, I have a suggestion that might accelerate your browser's cure...

I believe that this issue might be caused by a bad browser "cookie" or conflicting multiple ones. A "cookie" is a little downloaded file that helps your browser remember various settings or preferences when you visit a site. This problem seems to occur most often shortly after either the browser or the computer's operating system has received an automatic update. I don't know which browser or type of computer or device you're using, but if you log out of this Forum, restart your computer, and then restart and log back in, that might force a new cookie download and cure this word wrap issue. If that doesn't work, you can search your particular browser's "Help" feature for guidance on "cookies" and, depending on the browser type, either delete them all or just those associated with this Forum or for a particular time period. This may prompt the site on your next login to send your browser a delicious fresh new cookie.

By way of diagnosis, if you log out of the Forum and suddenly the messages appear again with normal word wrapping and margins, then a bad or corrupted cookie is likely the culprit.

Good luck, and please keep us posted here.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:30:20 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 03:04:27 pm

Bilgemaster

Re: Text no longer "wraps"
Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:18:23 pm

"Quote

This issue has come up with individual members before, often described as "broken word wrap" or "loss of margins". Often it just seems to solve itself after a bit."

Hi, thanks for the reply. I appreciate your position and I understand that you don't personally manage the forum software.
Perhaps, you could locate / contact the team which does manage / write the code.
This is a rendering issue. (you will notice the funky quote because the "real" quote button is off the screen)
I have the same issue on multiple computers, desktop and laptop, FireFox and Safari browsers. Security on and off. One constant, Apple OS.
The notion that that "this problem comes and goes" is likely because the forum members who are effected just go away. It is likely that I, too, will give up soon.

While I am not a html coder, I am a database developer and would be happy to work with the forum tech folks if that can help.
Thanks
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 03:20:59 pm
Rest assured that I had already directly alerted the "Real Admins" of this issue shortly after posting my response.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 05:34:38 pm
Bilgemaster

Re: Text no longer "wraps"
Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:18:23 pm

"Quote

This issue has come up with individual members before, often described as "broken word wrap" or "loss of margins". Often it just seems to solve itself after a bit."

Hi, thanks for the reply. I appreciate your position and I understand that you don't personally manage the forum software.
Perhaps, you could locate / contact the team which does manage / write the code.
This is a rendering issue. (you will notice the funky quote because the "real" quote button is off the screen)
I have the same issue on multiple computers, desktop and laptop, FireFox and Safari browsers. Security on and off. One constant, Apple OS.
The notion that that "this problem comes and goes" is likely because the forum members who are effected just go away. It is likely that I, too, will give up soon.

While I am not a html coder, I am a database developer and would be happy to work with the forum tech folks if that can help.
Thanks

Hello, thanks for raising the issue. As mentioned, this is something that I will need to speak to with our software guys as it goes a bit beyond my capabilities. Its not an issue I am able to replicate myself, so they may send a message across to confirm some details.

Thanks,
Dan

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 05:51:07 pm
Dan: As it happens, I also briefly experienced this word-wrapping failure issue briefly more than a year ago on both my Android and Windows devices, affecting not only the Forum, but also the Messaging feature. I believe this occurred shortly after a Firefox update. Deleting the cookies from both devices seemed to cure it, but I cannot be sure it was the cure. I think I may have described the issue at the time in  this 'Forum Improvements' section, or if may have been in response to another member's similar issues.

Thanks for looking into it.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 11:31:52 pm
Dan: As it happens, I also briefly experienced this word-wrapping failure issue briefly more than a year ago on both my Android and Windows devices, affecting not only the Forum, but also the Messaging feature. I believe this occurred shortly after a Firefox update. Deleting the cookies from both devices seemed to cure it, but I cannot be sure it was the cure. I think I may have described the issue at the time in  this 'Forum Improvements' section, or if may have been in response to another member's similar issues.

Thanks for looking into it.

It happened to me (I use Firefox) and I tried everything you suggested I try at the time and none of it worked. I just stoicly survived it for quite a while and one day it was just gone.

Windoze forced updates are what I really hate. Well, let's just reword that. I hate Windows. If you buy a new, say, laptop, that has Windows loaded and you don't do your homework first, Windows will force you into accepting everything Windows. The last forced update Windows did on mine, it tried to take over again and it took me two days of intense anger and frustration to wrest control back.

I should have learned Linux as I should have back in the '80s, but I was too involved in too many things to add that to the mix.     
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 04:43:47 pm
Dan,
Obviously, I don't know if the forum folks have been back in touch with you. And I appreciate your effort.
I have been looking around and it seems this is known issue that revolves around inherited functions (PRE).

They will notice that the "quoted" section of your reply wraps perfectly but your message, itself, doesn't.
"When word-wrap: break-word; is set on <pre> elements in IE/Edge, whether directly or by inheritance, it causes content in it to be wrapped when overflows the container, while in other browsers including Chrome, Firefox and Safari, content in <pre> won't get wrapped, because white-space: pre; is the default for <pre> elements."

https://zzz.buzz/2017/01/15/word-wrap-in-ie-edge-and-other-browsers/

Thanks

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 11:02:41 pm
Good news. As of yesterday and so far today, the non-wrapping issue is resolved. It now works normally including the very same posts above. Thanks to whomever that masked stranger is.

HitchcocksMotorcycles

• Administrator
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 04:49:08 pm
Admin / Moderators: Lately, I find that longer posts no longer wrap but just go on along a single line such that the whole message can't be seen. (even using the horizontal slider) I have looked on two different computers and different browsers.  When I copy and paste the content into a text editor, I see the instruction: [size=78%]I read somewhere that fully synthetic is required for correct operation of the slipper clutch. Having said that any oil that meets the spec will do, if doesn't have to be expensive stuff.[/size]
[/size]

Is it just me?

We have had a look through to see if there are any problems with the html or css which could cause an issue with the page rendering to the browser but we cannot currently see anything or replicate it. We will investigate this further as it appears to be a sporadic problem experienced by users and we know can be very frustrating. If a user does find that the text is not wrapping correctly, we suggest the best thing to do is a refresh of your browser’s cache. (ctrl + f5). This clears the files that are held in your browser which render the page and re-loads a fresh version. We also highly suggest keeping your browser completely up to date. Most browsers have auto-updates but others do not and this can affect your browser’s performance. If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, we suggest moving up to at least version 11. If this problem persists could you please let us know a little bit of information that will help us, such as your browser, version and device that you are using?

crabjoe

• Grease Monkey
  • Ceciltucky, MD USA - 2021 GT650
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 04:28:04 am
I've got the problem with Chrome browser on my windows PC.  It's driving me crazy.

Having to use a scroll bar is bad enough, but even that doesn't work, once you get out so far.  You just lose the remainder of that line...

Word-wrap really needs to be turned on or something.....

Thanks all!

crabjoe

• Grease Monkey
  • Ceciltucky, MD USA - 2021 GT650
Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 07:02:43 am
There's definitely something going on...
I tried clearing the cache, restarting and what not...  and that's when I say this.

When I'm logged out and looking at the forum as a guest, everything displays fine, font size and the word wrap.
When I sign back in (logged in), is when I have issues with the word wrap and font size.

I've attached pics below of the difference.. 
The 1st is logged in.  As you can see the font is smaller and even though I'm scrolled to the far right, the sentence is cut short.
The 2nd pic is logged out (Guest)... everything looks fine.