Author Topic: YouTube suggestions?  (Read 86147 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #435 on: December 31, 2021, 08:20:05 pm
@ #434: " Indeed, indeed, whatever happened to the world we once knew. "

" Change is the only constant ” Heraclitus

“ It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 08:24:27 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #436 on: January 11, 2022, 11:31:42 am
https://youtu.be/KCzwyFHSMdY

The comments are great.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #437 on: January 11, 2022, 02:15:08 pm
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #438 on: January 11, 2022, 11:42:46 pm
https://youtu.be/9rCY51DiWXE

You guys are probably all over it but me, I just discovered this guy. I could watch other people work all day. Guys and girls like this, I get a lot out of watching them. Excellent craftsmen who know what they're up to, or figure it out and bring you along for the ride. They communicate well (with understated humour and lack of bad language) and make it possible to understand what's going on. I really appreciate a video where they've made an effort at production. Good clear shots, interesting perspectives and a clear view of what's going on.
I'll never be more than a hobby machinist, making basic round bits and swarf but I think I've learned a lot about fixturing, measuring and setup from youtube channel like this, and I have a better appreciation for what's possible with a few machines and some tools.
Thank you, Paul X, Quinn Dunki, Allen Millyard and Paul Brodie. You guys rock.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #439 on: January 12, 2022, 12:52:11 am
https://youtu.be/9rCY51DiWXE

You guys are probably all over it but me, I just discovered this guy. I could watch other people work all day. Guys and girls like this, I get a lot out of watching them. Excellent craftsmen who know what they're up to, or figure it out and bring you along for the ride. They communicate well (with understated humour and lack of bad language) and make it possible to understand what's going on. I really appreciate a video where they've made an effort at production. Good clear shots, interesting perspectives and a clear view of what's going on.
I'll never be more than a hobby machinist, making basic round bits and swarf but I think I've learned a lot about fixturing, measuring and setup from youtube channel like this, and I have a better appreciation for what's possible with a few machines and some tools.
Thank you, Paul X, Quinn Dunki, Allen Millyard and Paul Brodie. You guys rock.

I've worked with wood my entire life building everything from cabinets to houses. My hobbies have been restoring old trucks and nearly everything to do with motorcycles and that's where I've fallen short. I have done basic and somewhat crude machinist tasks but anything that requires critical tolerances I've had to farm out. I wish I had the talent and tools for such work. I enjoy videos like that, the pros make it look so easy.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #440 on: January 12, 2022, 03:07:05 am
I've worked with wood my entire life building everything from cabinets to houses. My hobbies have been restoring old trucks and nearly everything to do with motorcycles and that's where I've fallen short. I have done basic and somewhat crude machinist tasks but anything that requires critical tolerances I've had to farm out. I wish I had the talent and tools for such work. I enjoy videos like that, the pros make it look so easy.

Check out Mike Patey's Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dggIkCG5E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #441 on: January 12, 2022, 03:44:04 am

He must be the most energetic person on the planet. I don't even have enough energy to watch his videos. Lucky, I have a good mate who does and he tells me what Mike's up to.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #442 on: January 12, 2022, 03:37:21 pm

I'm hooked, I'll be watching more of those.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #443 on: January 25, 2022, 01:46:26 am
This one's worth watching to the end. Kids should have to watch it at school. And anyone entering the corporate world, while I'm at it.

https://youtu.be/0kGBQSXX_GU
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #444 on: January 25, 2022, 02:45:32 am
This one's worth watching to the end. Kids should have to watch it at school. And anyone entering the corporate world, while I'm at it.

I grow weary of an overly politically correct world. It's a fine line and too easy to cross, I know some racists  that will finish a slur with "just joking" I have black friends that use N word freely, they have the right but maybe it would be better if no one did. I am an admitted former homophobe, a product of a tough working class neighborhood who has hopefully learned and grown some over the years. I ran into a gay friend at the market last week and he had on a pair of big dangly earrings and I wanted to say "Mark aren't those a bit trashy, shouldn't you save them for evening wear?" but didn't want to take the chance of offending him if he didn't see the humor in it and then thought to myself how in my old neighborhood he would have got his ass kicked for wearing them.  I try to stay away from jokes no matter how innocent about oppressed groups. It seems we do have to walk around on eggshells now, tiresome but ultimately maybe we are headed toward some greater good with all of this.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #445 on: January 25, 2022, 12:33:09 pm

He lays it out quite clearly and concisely without ranting, BUT the Progressive Democrat government/teacher's unions executives would never allow it to be shown in schools. They would just mount a media blitzkrieg to trash and destroy this guy using the exact same methods that he is delineating. The teacher's unions MUST control the narrative to keep their power & continue to be able to elect the "legislators" who write the laws for them. All we should ask ourselves is why Randi Weingarten is paid almost $600,000 a year (last I researched it). Why? Because she's a huge Progressive Democrat power broker & money controller.  First thing the media blitz would do is brand him as a racist.     
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:35:19 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #446 on: January 25, 2022, 02:14:46 pm
        He lays it out quite clearly and concisely without ranting, BUT the Progressive Democrat government/teacher's unions executives would never allow it to be shown in schools. They would just mount a media blitzkrieg to trash and destroy this guy using the exact same methods that he is delineating. The teacher's unions MUST control the narrative to keep their power & continue to be able to elect the "legislators" who write the laws for them. All we should ask ourselves is why Randi Weingarten is paid almost $600,000 a year (last I researched it). Why? Because she's a huge Progressive Democrat power broker & money controller.  First thing the media blitz would do is brand him as a racist.   

What upsets me is that many teachers and their unions in the SF Bay Area encourage their students to go on strike, or to join them in a "sickout", to dramatize their grievances with the local school district. When did it become OK to use children as pawns in disputes between adults?  >:(  Of course it is true that the TV news media just eats that stuff up and makes sure to allow the children to speak for their parents while not blurring their faces like they do for many others that they film.  :'(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #447 on: January 25, 2022, 03:08:57 pm
What upsets me is that many teachers and their unions in the SF Bay Area encourage their students to go on strike, or to join them in a "sickout", to dramatize their grievances with the local school district. When did it become OK to use children as pawns in disputes between adults?  >:(  Of course it is true that the TV news media just eats that stuff up and makes sure to allow the children to speak for their parents while not blurring their faces like they do for many others that they film.  :'(

As you know, this is nothing new. The teacher's unions have been using their students as pawns in their game (where have we heard THAT before?) for many many years. A clearly illustrative case was Wisconsin (many years back) when the Governor & legislators had the unmitigated gall to attempt to get a little bit of control over the out of control, deMANDing teacher's unions.

The teachers & union shot callers took their classes, of ALL, grades, out of school to march on the state house by the hundreds, march in and take over & shut down the operations of the state government with screaming bullhorn lunacy & chanting children of all ages waving placards & banners many of whom had no clue why or what was going on while their teachers called everyone of "that other party" fascists & racists & bigots & any other pejorative they now use to destroy anyone whose opinions might differ from the union/Progressive agenda.  I forget how many days this went on.

But, of course, we all know it's all about the children, right?. And something is happening here, but you don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Jones?

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #448 on: January 25, 2022, 04:14:24 pm
The demonstration was about lack of adequate C19 equipment & protocols. I highly doubt that High School & Jr. High kids were unaware of the primary reasons for the demonstrations, being the ones in class (or not...) affected by school closures & staff shortages.
Home Schooling is an obvious solution here, but there has been a lot of screaming to reopen the schools by rabid parents, mostly unmasked, at school board meetings. The local school here reopened, sans masks, and after a week closed again because amazingly all the staff & a great many students contracted C19. Who could have predicted? It's always good to clarify what the topic is about. Protesting against inadequate C19 protocols & support is a lot less sinister sounding than simply declaring that children are nothing more than pawns it the all-powerful teachers unions game plan.

https://missionlocal.org/2022/01/sf-teachers-union-calls-district-inept-and-negligent-and-some-mission-high-teachers-plan-a-walkout-for-today/

https://sfstandard.com/education/amid-staff-test-and-mask-shortages-teacher-group-plans-sick-out/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #449 on: January 25, 2022, 04:35:04 pm
Both my sisters were grade school teachers until they retired, both worked long hours beyond what their job description called for and dug into their own pockets for class material for the students as funding was cut by tight fisted school boards. Not atypical for the profession in these times. How many other jobs do you find people doing that? Teacher's unions  have their place like any other union but the wealth and power on the right has been hell bent in destroying them. The state I live in suffered through a Tea Party Republican Governor for 8 years prior to or current one we have now. High up on her agenda was cutting funding for public schools including things like lunch programs for poverty level students. In a state with high revenues from the oil and gas industry it was criminal and obviously a war on education. Similarly college tuition is becoming unreachable for kids in the lower and middle class, not by accident but by design. Statistics show that when less educated people do vote they vote republican, those with more education tend be more liberal and vote democrat. This is part of the dividing line in our country and a tool to further divide and  distract us. Thinking that teachers and teacher's unions are somehow the route of all evil over political correctness is short sighted and serves a darker purpose beyond that. Both my sisters, one Republican and one Democrat see the need for education for all our young people at any level and given the same opportunities they were given when they were young and received quality public school educations and affordable college. Attacking teachers and their unions is cutting your children's and grandchildren's futures off at the knees. How those children vote when they become adults should not even enter into the equation!