Author Topic: Himalaya Tour; Spiti / Ladakh  (Read 3764 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
on: October 13, 2019, 08:08:35 pm
Just put a deposit on this tour;

Trans-Himalayan,
http://www.epicmototours.com/trans-himalayan.html

It's not until next July, but I've got my place reserved, and I am going!   :)

I'll be riding in old school style on a Royal Enfield Bullet, the way God intended the Himalayas to be ridden.  8)

15 days starting in Manali, through Spiti Valley Circuit and up to Leh / Ladakh.

There could be one other Enfielder I know going, maybe more...anyone else?  ???
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:57:35 am
Well, I would need to travel half way around the world to get there so, I think I'll have to pass on going.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 11:44:17 am
Well, I would need to travel half way around the world to get there so, I think I'll have to pass on going.

Yeah, it looks like a wonderful trip, and the price looks reasonable (if I managed to figure it out correctly!), but the cost of getting there and home again...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:50:00 pm
...and if your wife decides to go it will cost double! (I barely dodged that bullet). :o

Been working lots of overtime already, just to cover basic travel expenses, and starting a daily excercize routine to get in better Himalaya shape!

As it is, I will probably need an IV of ibuprophen hanging from my handle bars!!!   :P

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:18:31 am
As it is, I will probably need an IV of ibuprophen hanging from my handle bars!!!   :P

Do they make a patch?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 04:25:15 pm
...and if your wife decides to go it will cost double! (I barely dodged that bullet). :o

I don't think it would be a good idea for a wife to go on one of these Himalayan trips ESPECIALLY if riding double is considered. Your total concentration must be on getting yourself to the top and back. You can't be "feeling sorry" or "worrying about" another particular person except in the sense of helping the whole group to succeed.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 08:13:58 pm
Sounds like you guys just haven't found the right wife... yet...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:41:29 pm
That's an interesting question Matsz!

As far as I can tell by google searching the answer, is that ibuprofen patches are an emerging technology. A couple of companies are trying to get them on the market, but I could not find anything for sale.  I seriously do have an issue with muscle tension and am making my best effort to not only "band-aid" it, but to find the root of the problem, so the tension just isn't there. Not sure what results will be, but I am going to find out. If nothing else, I will be taking ibuprofen pills from before I leave home and stay on them until after I return. A patch a day would be easier (and more fool-proof) than 2 pill every 4 hours.  :D

I am exercising and stretching twice daily, which I've found over the last year that I have to do now that time is beginning to have it's way with me. In fact, it is the early onset of aging and seeing the effects of aging on my friends, coworkers and relatives, that is inspiring me to get out and ride the Himalaya while I still can! ;)

I agree with you Tooseevee. Some do take a pillion on these tours, but I can't imagine it. It would also be much more strenuous to keep the bike up with a pillion in the unpaved areas. The only way my wife could've gone, due to her health, would have been to ride in the support truck. She also just wasn't "able-bodied" enough to negotiate the terrain and climb stairs etc... Ultimately we decided that she just can't come. There will be a sadness in my heart, no being able to share the experience with my best friend, but what should I do...stay home?  I think some times there are things that you just have to do alone.

As far as the right wife, I could think of a few attributes that would be nice, :o but for this trip, a wife who can ride her own bike would be the way to go !  ;)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:43:53 pm by Narada »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 12:03:01 am

....... but for this trip, a wife who can ride her own bike would be the way to go !  ;)

I still think differently on this, even on her own bike (the ONLY way). I think it divides your attention and you need it for NOTHING but yourself. Except in the sense of Me and The Team; not Me, The Wife and The Team.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:03 am
Sounds like you guys just haven't found the right wife... yet...

This 2nd future ex-wife is working out really well - 1986 to present. Of course, she's not home yet either  :)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 03:14:57 pm
Here's the tour company's you tube page. Some parts of the videos are a bit "over the top" in production, but they are pretty good otherwise;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIeg-TTGcDjteBtJnjNdH9Q/videos