Author Topic: Project "Laubfrosch" - the trials hybrid  (Read 47808 times)

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 09:09:04 pm
@Adrian: Well yes, the Hammerite is way too dark and after some experiences I had with that brand I stay away.

@Chuychacon: Didn't know what you meant at first, but no, the bottle there is ATF and it's a dog (and not drinking it, of course ;D ).

@symmo: And that again is based on the ISDT machines of the early sixties! I guess that influenced the colour scheme a bit, though I wanted a bike this colour anyway.

I put in the steering head, finished the stanchions and put some parts together. Not firmly mounted yet though:

And I got me something nice again and would like to use it on that bike. The patine would fit perfectly and I love these, but I guess I had to paint the tank in green too to go with them. I don't think they would look good on bare aluminium?!

Andreas

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 09:11:44 pm
@Adrian: Well yes, the Hammerite is way too dark and after some experiences I had with that brand I stay away.

@Chuychacon: Didn't know what you meant at first, but no, the bottle there is ATF and it's a dog (and not drinking it, of course ;D ).

@symmo: And that again is based on the ISDT machines of the early sixties! I guess that influenced the colour scheme a bit, though I wanted a bike this colour anyway.

I put in the steering head, finished the stanchions and put some parts together. Not firmly mounted yet though:

And I got me something nice again and would like to use it on this bike. The patine would fit perfectly and I love these, but I guess I had to paint the tank in green too, to go with them. I don't think they would look good on bare aluminium?!

Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 08:10:03 pm
Try a different tank?

ebay item 264098824564

Paint the side panels green (the badges ought to fit this one) and leave the tank itself chrome plated?

This tank always looked a bit awkward to me, as though someone in India misunderstood the small chrome panel tank and came up with a small panel tank fitted with large panels, or else they wanted a way to use the larger badges on an Interceptor export tank. HOWEVER it might just work on your Projekt.  ;D

All contrary opinions fully understood!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 04:31:40 pm
Oh no, I can't do that! This thing looks soooo ugly in any fashion :o
I'll find a solution!

By the way: Yesterday I "tried on" in the engine and gearbox:

As you can see, it'll still come up quite a bit in the front, when the wheel is in place. I like the looks of the engine plates in the front too - just as I planned! :D
The wheel looks a bit tiny though?! ??? May be I'll have 3.50-19 tyres front and rear to cover that up ;D

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: June 18, 2019, 06:57:02 pm
I can see why you didn't like the panel tank. I know the Indians make a slimline version of the stock fuel tank, though I haven't seen one which is meant to take the large badges.

The wheel looks a bit tiny though?! ???

Fit the fork sliders and the front wheel into them, and have another look. I think that having the front wheel quite some way from the ends of the forks in your photo is acting as an optical illusion. Otherwise, it might need a 21" front wheel!

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 06:23:33 pm
21" wheel surely, a must for an authentic looking replica.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 09:01:09 am
Alright now. I found a 21" Yamaha DT175 wheel I think I'm going to use! As soon as it get's here we'll see how it looks. I guess I'll use MItas tyres then.

Until then I cleaned out the fork sliders and also removed the stuck bush in one of them. The internals are done for, so I'll need replacements for those.
Doesn't look bad though?!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 05:03:35 pm
Doesn't look bad though?!

Shaping up nicely.

Although these are of more immediate relevance to Dirge's restoration project, you might be interested to see these Indian Westerner drive-side factory photos courtesy of Hitchcocks' Instagram account. Your Projekt seems to be heading into similar visual territory.

Top one is a 350 with the '55/56? only air cleaner box, based on the roadster Bullet's with some extra breathing holes. Obviously not a success as it's not fitted on the later 500 shown beneath it.

A.

-

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:48:57 pm by Adrian II »

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: July 05, 2019, 09:27:13 pm
Comes close!

The rims were cleaned up a bit and new tyres pulled on:

Tight fit!

Next I'll do some aluminium welding - the break plate needs some repair and customizing and about 3.8 of the 4 taps in the fork tubes are done for... :-[
So long,
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:29:37 pm by grumbern »

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: July 06, 2019, 09:09:39 am
This is such an interesting blog, can't wait to see this machine finished and fired up. Great work.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: July 07, 2019, 01:37:51 pm
Of course there is a bit of a tradition of this, look what's on ebay UK at the moment. I'm tempted to buy it for the timing cover!  ;D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60s-Royal-Enfield-bullet-reditch-trials-restoration-project-spares-or-repair/113805048510?hash=item1a7f4f3abe:g:7LcAAOSwQ-BdG6tA

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: July 07, 2019, 03:49:51 pm
For this price I'd take it no questions asked ;)
Seems to be a 350 frame, with shortened rear and an older gearbox fitted. Also has aluminium cylinders! Nice project bike indeed. And of course there's tradition, where if not the trials did the Bullet exceed? And that's why mine should look like it was built in the 1960s!

I was thinking of adding this rev-counter provision to the timing cover, just because of ease of ignition timing. That's also why my Chief has the ex-sprocket bolt of the interceptor, used for the rev-counter behind the cover ;)

Some parts are on order and others in the making. After thinking back and forth I finally spent that extra cash to get an aluminium cylinder instead of using the cast iron one in almost perfect condition... Why not?!
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:51:54 pm by grumbern »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: July 07, 2019, 04:34:07 pm
I finally spent that extra cash to get an aluminium cylinder instead of using the cast iron one in almost perfect condition... Why not?!

Looks right for a trails bike and will save a little weight, enough to compensate for the extra weight of the magdyno.

That timing cover has exactly the came footprint as the Indian or standard late Redditch Bullet timing cover, though to modify an Indian Bullet timing cover to match you'd have to remove/reprofile the "blob" area as well as recreate the rev-counter drive boss. I suspect that you are one of a rather small number of people on this forum who could actually do this. You did say you were going to do some aluminium - sorry, aluminum welding...

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: July 07, 2019, 06:43:24 pm
Yeah, thought I'd allow myself the luxury of an AC/DC-TIG welder - cheap China device though, but it does weld ;)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 02:12:53 am
Yeah, thought ' I'd allow myself the luxury of an AC/DC-TIG welder - cheap China device though, but it does weld ;)

Being an aficionado of cheap yet fuctional Chinese crapola, I'd love to see details on that welder.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.