Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bullet with the UCE engine / Engine paint
« Last Post by dyl on Today at 07:41:20 am »
Heyo folks,

The paint on my engine is starting to look pretty rough (blame the previous owner).
I was wondering if anyone has repainted theirs?

Would it become a rust bucket if striped and not repainted?
Is there an appropriate paint that simply comes in a can?
Any other insights?

Cheers all
535 Continental GT / Re: DIY homemade special tools
« Last Post by GUNR on Today at 07:14:29 am »
Here's another small addition for the toolbox. I took the precaution of labelling it because of the time it would owe me to make another one. The Haynes manual suggested an alternative to the factory locking tool to fit between the crankshaft sprocket and the one on the clutch basket so that the nuts on both could be loosened when i.e. replacing the primary chain.

Haynes specified steel of 70 x 20 x 5mm with the ends rounded to fit between the sprocket teeth.
I only had a scrap of 6mm aluminium plate, so I cut, rounded and smoothed it and it worked 'like a bought one' as we used to say.
535 Continental GT / Re: GUNR's rejuvenation
« Last Post by GUNR on Today at 06:45:25 am »
With my son's help, I finally got around to fitting the new Renold primary chain. Rather than buying the factory tool to lock the crankshaft drive to the clutch basket, I adopted the suggestion found in my Haynes manual to make a DIY version. The manual suggested steel of 70 x 20 x 5mm rounded at the ends, but I had a scrap of 6mm aluminium plate which I cut, filed and sanded for the same result and it worked a treat. Another special tool for the tool box...

The primary chain which was in there was 'in spec' and actually measured the same 21 pin length as the new Renold chain. Attached is a photo of the original; it is either 'Rolon' or 'Olon' preceded by an encircled 'R' for registered trade mark. If anyone knows who these chains are made by, I be interested to find out.

One of my previous purchases from HMC (besides the oil filter, O-rings and washers) included a set of replacement Allen key compatible crankcase screws, so I changed the LHS screws during this job.

Something that continues to puzzle me is that following a drain and oil filter replacement, 2 litres of oil takes the reading to the top of the sight glass. The manual states that I should have been able to put in 2.5 litres, so I'm cautiously watching the sight glass.

I didn't remove the RHS crankcase this time because I wanted to change the drive chain, sprockets and cush drive rubbers in one hit.
The leak shown here in the photo, I assume stems from the pesky kick start seal; just as well I erred on the side of caution and bought enough parts to cover most eventualities.

PS
I don't have a small child or dog in the household; those are puppy training pads which are very effective at absorbing all sorts of fluids including oil...
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: Modern Motorcycles
« Last Post by Streetliight on Today at 06:05:23 am »
So do I. It would fit in great with my retro-modern tastes and lack of water-cooling. Just don't have room for one more!

Thirded for the Moto Guzzi interest...If there were a Moto Guzzi dealer here in Utah, I might have ended up with a v7 instead of a GT650.
535 Continental GT / Re: Geoffs Modifications
« Last Post by GUNR on Today at 06:04:37 am »
Geoff, I was admiring your muffler bracket hanger and thought I spied an isolating bush of some description between your newly fabricated bracket and the muffler's bracket. Am I correct; and if so, is it rubber? My muffler to header clamp stays tight but has a habit of migrating rearward. I've had to resort to using Loctite 243 on everything which doesn't have a nyloc nut on it as parts tend to have a tendency to jettison ship while on the move (e.g. rear indicator, chain guard, tail light bracket...)

Also, I don't have that black horn bracket which you have; where was it originally mounted before you repurposed it as a dual horn mount?
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: Tire size/tune size?
« Last Post by Streetliight on Today at 05:36:10 am »
I’m going from a stock 130/70-18 rear tire to a 150/70-18.  Do I need a new tube?

The answer is yes, regardless of your tire size change imo. If you're changing the tires, you may as well do new tubes too, for peace of mind.

In the cycling/mountain biking world, I'd then rotate the old serviceable tube into my backpack as a spare tube in case I had a puncture, but unless you're touring on your motorcycle with a robust set of tools, that seems rather useless to me.
Other marques / Re: aeolus 300
« Last Post by AzCal Retred on Today at 02:13:14 am »
Scooters are pretty cool. Big scooters are surprisingly street competent. There is a "Big Rukus" hiding under that plastic bodywork if it is just too crunchy to save!  ;D  The knee-high CG is a real plus IMHO. Check with Linhai & make sure you can get CDI bits and piston rings. I hear Torque converter drive belts last between 4K & 12k? miles, so I guess it depends on the rider. Offer $100 and get a husky boy to drag it home for you.  ;)

http://www.linhaipowersportsusa.com/
http://www.linhaipowersportsusa.com/linhai-parts.html

Info from 2009ish-

https://www.chinariders.net/archive/index.php/t-3179.html
ScooterOllie
05-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Anyone looking for a QUALITY Chinese scoot (didn't think "quality" & "Chinese" went together, did you? LOL), look at the Linahi 300. It is totally produced by Linhai and sold in Europe for the past few years as the Linhai Mainstreet 300. Here in the U.S. it is imported and distributed by Sunright, International and has been badged as the Diamo Turista 300, SuperStrada 300 and Aeolus 300. Linhai partnered with Yamaha several years ago and builds some parts and bikes for them. If you know about the quality differences between Chinese bikes and the name brand offerings, one look will tell you that Linhai sure has benefitted from their association with Yamaha. The frame is high quality, welds are professional, materials are better quality.
The Linhai 300 is a performance modded version of the Linahi 260. The 260 is based on the European Yamaha YP250. The base engine (260) is a 257 cc horizontal engine. Both the LInhai 260 and 300 share the same chassis but the body style of the 300 is unique, not a clone of anything. The engine in the 300 is bumped up to 275 cc with a 4-valve head and other engine mods to match. The Linhai/Yamaha variator uses 8 weights and both the variator and clutch have been tuned to make the most of the 275 engine's performance. Wheels/tires are high profile 12" with wheelbase at 60". This is a maxiscooter that weighs in at 370 lbs. - about 30-40 pounds more than the typical Chinese maxi. Performance is strong with no dead spots in acceleration and will top out at 75-80 mph. Consumption is 60+ mpg.
In '06, Sunright brought over a ton of these scoots for a major "dealer" who went belly up. They were originally priced from $3.5-4K. Very few folks would spring for that much on an unknown, unproven Chinese scoot. The flood of CFMoto powered 250s hit the U.S. market the same year and sold for $1-1.5K less. By the Winter of '06-07, price was dropped. You can now get a leftover '06 drop shipped for as little as $2600. The '08s have just come in this month with no changes except for a pillion seat backrest and a $500+ price increase. There are less than 300 of the '06 models remaining.
On www.scootdawg.com we now have almost a dozen members with either the 260 or 300. No major problems like you hear about with the typical cheap Chinese scoot. One issue: Since these scoots have sat around in the warehouse with Chinese antifreeze in them (VERY POOR corrosion inhibitor additives), there will be some internal cooling system corrosion. At the initial run, it may cause the temp. gauge to peg because of a partial blockage or stuck thermostat. This is fairly easily dealt with by draining coolant, flushing and refill with 50/50% mixture of good antifreeze.
This scoot has the styling of a sport bike and great handling. Pics on websites don't do justice to it's style. Dealers we support at ScootDawg are: www.scootersus.com and www.scootertronics.com

https://bikez.com/motorcycles/linhai_aeolus_300_2016.php
Displacement   275.0 ccm (16.78 cubic inches)
Engine type   Single cylinder, four-stroke
Power   18.8 HP (13.7 kW)) @ 6500 RPM
Torque   23.0 Nm (2.3 kgf-m or 17.0 ft.lbs) @ 5500 RPM
Top speed   125.5 km/h (78.0 mph)
Bore x stroke   72.5 x 66.8 mm (2.9 x 2.6 inches)
Fuel system   Carburettor
Fuel control   Single Overhead Cams (SOHC)
Ignition   CDI
Cooling system   Liquid
Gearbox   Automatic
Transmission type   Belt (final drive)
Driveline   CVT

Frame type   High strength steel pipes, underbone type
Front suspension   Telescopic fork
Rear suspension   Dual shocks
Front tire   110/90-12
Rear tire   130/70-12
Front brakes   Single disc. Hydraulic
Rear brakes   Single disc. Hydraulic
Wheels   Aluminium alloy cast rim

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/linhai-scooters.732046/
I am pretty much of the opinion that if you can find a used one cheap with reasonable miles, that doesn't look like it's been beat to death, then it is absolutely worth it. I don't find myself wanting more power (it's 275cc) very often and even with 275cc I don't get on the interstates hardly at all. See that thread for more info on the 300. Cheap, reliable fun- and with a nice set of Michelins- a blast to ride- very stable and sure of itself- except on wet grass. :eek!
There is a little known secret about buying Linhai scooters. Since they don't have an extensive dealership network setup yet, you get to deal directly with the importer/distributor. And the parts are noticeably cheaper than any dealer. I mean the part prices are reasonable to begin with, but take away the dealer profit on top of that and it feels like you are buying parts back in 1980. Maybe that's cause you're getting them at dealer cost? That is real nice. And there have been times they sent stuff for free, covering it anyway under warranty- even though it is long ago lapsed. It's a mixed bag, dealing with the distributor. They are not real responsive to email, but will get things done if you call them.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/linhai-yamaha-300-superstrada-speedometer-issue.697609/page-2#post-16352213So is this thing a Linhai or a Yamaha? I see these on craigslist and people get on there and say THIS IS NOT A YAMAHA!!! What's the deal?
It is not a "pure" Yamaha, no. Linhai put the quality where it mattered the most- in the engine. But check this out, for all those that want to understand exactly Yamaha's involvement with Linhai- from Yamaha's own website:
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/news/2003/08/01/joint.html
Yamaha owns 50% of one branch of Linhai- the one that makes scooter and other engines. Linhai has been building engines for Yamaha for years and years.
Also more here:
http://www.hammerheadbuggy.com/linhai yamaha profile.html
So those of you with a Majesty, lookout. Linhai probably built your engine! :rofl:eek1
Oh, the shame!

https://www.amazon.com/150cc-300cc-Brake-Yamaha-Linhai-style/dp/B07LHBFGKQ

I think i read the mounting is different for the moto2.
From the faq of the kickstarter they offer adapters:

Adapters:

• Powered mount insert
• Moto II to original Moto mount insert
• Original Moto to Moto II mount adapter
The lock ring part of the mount is different, but the original lock ring is just screwed to whichever  mount you were using. 
I.e. handlebar clamp, stem mount etc.
Campfire Talk / Re: YouTube suggestions?
« Last Post by AzCal Retred on Today at 12:42:30 am »
Campfire Talk / Why Not Thorium?
« Last Post by AzCal Retred on Today at 12:03:30 am »
Why Sand Will Power India for Centuries
How India is forging its own path with nuclear energy… and thorium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8MzyMG4d9c
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10