Author Topic: New Guy From Arizona  (Read 3562 times)

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
on: January 14, 2020, 06:48:14 pm
Hello everyone.  I'm returning to motorcycles after several decades of not riding.
I'm ready to purchase an Interceptor 650 and I can't tell you how excited I am about this bike.

My first scooter was a Honda Super 90 in 1965.  In my younger years I was mechanic at a Honda, Triumph, BMW dealer, Hollywood Honda in the late 60's till about 74.  I spent a couple of seasons road racing a Ducati at the club level on the west coast.

I left motorcycling around 1976 for ridiculous reasons relating to family pressure but never lost the appreciation of a good bike on a good road.

This forum looks to be very active and addresses many topics I'm curious about.   I hope to learn a lot from y'all.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 11:41:22 pm
Welcome to the forum. :)

IMO, this is the best web site in the world for information about Royal Enfields.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:19:39 am
Welcome to the group! Definitely a wonderfully helpful bunch at this site!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:02:47 am
Welcome and please post photos when you get your new ride!

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:59:40 am
Welcome and please post photos when you get your new ride!
Same here!  You are in Motorcycle paradise in Arizona!  Don't miss a ride to Tortilla Flats out of Mesa!
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:07:38 pm
Welcome! You are going to love the 650!😁 It has all the reliability of a modern bike with the simplicity of a classic. The valves are screw type. The carbs don't exist  ;D Pretty much oil changes and chain maintenance are the only things to do. As for accessories, all of the RE factory stuff fits and works like it is supposed to. Not a lot to choose from domestically but the Indian eBay market has everything you can imagine and more.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 11:40:58 pm
My kind of guy and welcome to the forum! You a Deadhead Jack Straw?
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:07:56 am
My kind of guy and welcome to the forum! You a Deadhead Jack Straw?
9fingers

I wondered if he was from Wichita ::)

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 02:10:37 am
OK guys, I've been found out.......my first Dead show was 1966.

Indeed, Arizona is great for riding but I live in the central highlands at 5200 feet.  It gets COLD and it SNOWS which is the main reason I haven't bought the scooter yet.  I want to avoid the frustration of having a new bike and being faced with a couple of months of iffy conditions. Last March we got 21/2 feet in one dump. I'll be pulling the trigger in late March. I grew up in So Cal and I admit to being a complete sissy about cold, rain, and snow.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 12:11:23 pm
We can share the women we can share the wine.............. So get that Interceptor, get a trailer or a truck and take the bike down to lower altitudes and ride it there! BTW, my 22 yr old son loves the Dead and I played him the Bruce Hornsby version of Jack Straw, which I like, and he hates it........to antiseptic and perfectly played I guess. He likes more improv. I did download Bob Weir's Blue Mountain and I like it. Probably too produced/commercial for you though.
9fingers

PS- I haven't bought my Interceptor yet either......winters in northern NJ (the NH part) can be nasty. And I need to sell my V Strom first. Thinking I might get an INT AND a Himalayan..........though I may end up dead and my wife in jail.
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 02:52:05 pm
Welcome to the forum Jack!  The Interceptor is such a fun bike, you are going to love it.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 05:54:19 pm
OK guys, I've been found out.......my first Dead show was 1966.

Indeed, Arizona is great for riding but I live in the central highlands at 5200 feet.  It gets COLD and it SNOWS which is the main reason I haven't bought the scooter yet.  I want to avoid the frustration of having a new bike and being faced with a couple of months of iffy conditions. Last March we got 21/2 feet in one dump. I'll be pulling the trigger in late March. I grew up in So Cal and I admit to being a complete sissy about cold, rain, and snow.
You must be up around Flagstaff, eh?
Yes, it can DUMP snow up there!

I lived in Phoenix for 14 years, put over 40,000 miles on my ol Yamaha Special 850 triple while there.

One of my favorite rides isn't far from Flagstaff, it is to Sedona on the Oak Creek Canyon road.  That road is a fantastic twisty, curvy motorcycle road with awesome scenery.  And keep your eyes on the road and not on all the bikini-stuffers along the river that is alongside the road!.

Another favorite ride is the road from Mesa to Tortilla Flats.  Worth the ride down to Mesa just to ride that road.  And the restaurant at Torilla Flats has the best burgers you will find anywhere.  Only pit in that cherry is that you have to ride through Phoenix, and Mesa to get to the darned road.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:03:25 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 07:28:35 pm
PS- I haven't bought my Interceptor yet either......winters in northern NJ (the NH part) can be nasty. And I need to sell my V Strom first. Thinking I might get an INT AND a Himalayan..........though I may end up dead and my wife in jail.

9fingers - any reasonable judge would let her off with just a warning...

;D

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 08:22:09 pm
Thinking I might get an INT AND a Himalayan..........though I may end up dead and my wife in jail.
Well, buy a bullet proof vest, then you can thumb your nose at your jailed wife.  Lots of great woodsy fire roads up there near the mountains where you live, so a Himalayan and an Interceptor actually makes sense.
2019 Interceptor. 

LVNVINT650

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 05:57:51 am
Welcome.....from Las Vegas, I ride to Phoenix about once every few months. You will love the INT650...I have had mine for 2 months, and I haven't stopped smiling.
2019 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express