Author Topic: ABS Removal  (Read 12818 times)

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #75 on: April 08, 2021, 09:39:28 am
So, first video he rides at 83mph in dark and murky conditions into stationary traffic if he rode sensibly  he wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

second video he rides to close to the bike in front hits front brake hard for no reason (panic brakes) and low sides, ride at a proper distance use front brake gently or rear brake would have stopped the low side. ABS wouldn't have made any difference, he would have fallen off anyway..........

next
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: April 08, 2021, 09:46:36 am
look at 1:18 in the first video.
The second video shows a typical situation in riding groups. And the  fallen  bike still had enough space in front of him to avoid the crash. Easily. ABS would have kept his front wheel running, and nothing would have happened.

I have seen this video several hundred times. I analyzed every second of this video.  I use it to lecture groups before driving. The fallen guy did not do anything wrong. The black bike before him accelerated before he pulled the brakes and went sideways of the obstacle. The fallen bike saw his front man slightly accelerating, so he also accelerated. And then the front bike pulled the break heavily. This lead to a surprise reaction. Which resulted in blocking the front wheel. The ABS would have kept the wheel running. One can see that at the moment of the fall the speed of him and the other vehicle was already equalized. And there was still room left for further speed reduction.

The bike before the fallen bike even had to break much heavier, and it did not fall. ABS.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:19:05 am by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: April 08, 2021, 02:03:59 pm
Personally, I have no use for group rides. I much prefer to ride by myself when I have more control what is going on around me and only have to worry about my own safety and not what the guy ahead or behind of me might be doing. While I do sometimes ride with two friends we tend to stay about a quarter mile away from each other as we know where we are going and if someone gets a little behind we will meet up there. I have seen more than one large group of riders during the past couple of years just blow through red lights until the entire group has passed through the intersection like they were in a funeral - which one of these days they might be.  :(  I doubt ABS is helping them much.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: April 08, 2021, 02:10:10 pm
Who doesnt prefer empty roads with no traffic? Sunshine, no rain? Terrific landscape? Clean new pavement?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:12:46 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: April 08, 2021, 02:52:58 pm
Here is more of my riding philosophy: My thinking is that all of the electronic bells and whistles that are now being installed on the latest motorcycles are nice, but your best bet is to pretend that they are not there and ride accordingly. If you make a mistake and the electronic programming and safety technology corrects the issue then all is good and you are fortunate that your new bike has them. But if you ride like you are on an old-school motorcycle like an old RE iron barrel you might never need those safety enhancements.  ;)

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: April 08, 2021, 02:56:12 pm
When you change "If you make a mistake" to "If you or somebody else makes a mistake or things go just sideways (aka Shit Happens)" and cancel the last sentence then i fully agree.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:05:20 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #81 on: April 08, 2021, 04:27:52 pm
It's clear enough why the OP has left with a bad taste in his mouth.

He came asking where to buy an umbrella, and ended up in the middle of an argument about whether Arizona or Florida was a better place to retire to.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: April 08, 2021, 04:56:21 pm
As far as I remember he asked if anybody has removed his ABS. And got the answer that the MOT regulations are against it. An answer he did not want to get.

No umrella and no retirement. As far as I understand it. But everybody understands things differently. And for some understanding is a diffcult art.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:27:35 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #83 on: April 08, 2021, 06:48:22 pm
As far as I remember he asked if anybody has removed his ABS. And got the answer that the MOT regulations are against it. An answer he did not want to get.
When I joined this forum, it claimed explicitly to be the NORTH AMERICAN Royal Enfield owners forum.  Since then, sponsorship was taken over by Hitchcocks, so the NA focus been left behind, although the board still bears the name of the original, dominant North American importer.  Regardless, members world wide had been welcome for quite some time before that.  But it's good to keep in mind that the forum has a majority of members in the US, and has members from all over the world.

The Original Poster, didn't say a word in his inquiry about location, didn't express any interest in MOT testing, until YOU made it an issue.  Even then, there were several diverging, educated opinions expressed.

I fail to see why a majority of forum members would consider how MOT test procedures might view the question, as being a relevant answer to the question.  For example, NONE of my vehicles are tested, ever, nor do I expect them to ever be tested, and, even if they were, ABS is not required on motorcycles here.  This thread will, quite likely be found in future searches, by other RE UCE owners interested in "ABS Removal".  Many of these future readers will likely not care about the particulars of English motor vehicle legislation as it existed in 2021.  Perhaps we should try answering the questions that are asked, as they are asked?  There's always the option to not respond to any subject.

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #84 on: April 08, 2021, 07:37:48 pm
Last night I watched the film Peter Rabbit. Toward the end of the movie, young McGregor roars up to the farm on his Royal Enfield and jams of the rear break, locking up the back wheel and dumping the bike.

For those who like ABS: This is a classic case where ABS would have kicked in saving McGregor's dignity and the bike.

For those that don't like ABS: Given the soft loose ground he may not have stopped in time before running over Bea, his love interest.

Personally I would have jammed of the back brake, shoved my boot on the ground and brought the bike to an arcing halt, impressing my beloved with a shower of mud and stones. (well, it seemed like a good idea when I was a teenager.)

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #85 on: April 08, 2021, 07:48:30 pm
The Mot regulations are NOT against it its just you spouting off without local (UK) knowledge that pissed him off.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #86 on: April 08, 2021, 08:42:05 pm
The Mot regulations are NOT against it its just you spouting off without local (UK) knowledge that pissed him off.
Correct  :)
Although I'm not pissed off.

I got an answer; No, nobody has done it.
As regards MOT and other regulatory stuff, as usual you get a cross-section of opinions and choose who sounds like they know their onions. I think we know who they are.

I've no problem with ABS per se. I have it on other bikes (lighter, shorter, very strong brakes) where it seems like a good thing, and have older bikes without it. I'd rather it was an option, personally.

The argument for and against can continue without me. Good luck! ;)

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: April 08, 2021, 09:33:39 pm

The Original Poster, didn't say a word in his inquiry about location, didn't express any interest in MOT testing, until YOU made it an issue.  Even then, there were several diverging, educated opinions expressed.

See posts 4, 7, 28. You seem to constantly forget things.
www.enfieldtech.de

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: April 08, 2021, 10:26:32 pm
Last night I watched the film Peter Rabbit. Toward the end of the movie, young McGregor roars up to the farm on his Royal Enfield and jams of the rear break, locking up the back wheel and dumping the bike.

For those who like ABS: This is a classic case where ABS would have kicked in saving McGregor's dignity and the bike.

For those that don't like ABS: Given the soft loose ground he may not have stopped in time before running over Bea, his love interest.

Personally I would have jammed of the back brake, shoved my boot on the ground and brought the bike to an arcing halt, impressing my beloved with a shower of mud and stones. (well, it seemed like a good idea when I was a teenager.)

Young McGregor was able to get the rear brake of his Royal Enfield to lock up?  I am impressed!   ;)

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: April 08, 2021, 10:38:27 pm
Normally locking the rear brake is not a big thing. Just release it and its okay. But what happens with inexperienced riders is that they get frightened by the rear wheel sliding and pull the front brake to get slower. Then the front brake locks and they fall within 2 sec.

Your idea with feet and mud is a good one. Just needs a litle practise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCH_l-U0NP8
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:42:39 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de