Author Topic: Oops. I need to replace side cover lock set  (Read 1196 times)

Seatex

• Bulleteer
on: July 31, 2021, 01:57:57 pm
After using a wrench out of the tool bag, I hastily affixed the side cover, but apparently did not secure the latching mechanism. So the side cover, and leather bag attached to it fell off while riding. I was able to locate it the next morning a few miles from my house, but it had been hit by a vehicle. I was not able to recover the lock set.
I have new side cover assemblies ordered from India (sold as a pair, Continental GT inexplicably half the price of Interceptor), but they do not come with the lock. I'm sure I can buy a generic lock, but I don't want to carry a second key. Searching Ebay and the usual RE vendors, I didn't see what I was looking for. Maybe I just need to look harder.
So the questions for the forum are: Where can I source a new lock? Are the side cover and ignition locks truly mated, or will any old RE key open the side lock?

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 02:33:45 pm
I bought a lock set after damaging my gas cap.  I have a side cover lock and ignition that use key 3491.  Maybe we start a registry so that our orphans can complete a set.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 02:49:20 pm
The side panel lock is meant to work with the key cut of the ignition and gas cap.  A skilled locksmith might be able to re-key your new lock.

Here's an inexpensive alternative if you don't feel the need to actually lock the side panel;

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=31323.0

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 03:01:01 pm
I bought a lock set after damaging my gas cap.  I have a side cover lock and ignition that use key 3491.  Maybe we start a registry so that our orphans can complete a set.

Thanks. Where did you order it? Also, I see no marks on my key to indicate which pattern it is.

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 03:01:43 pm
The side panel lock is meant to work with the key cut of the ignition and gas cap.  A skilled locksmith might be able to re-key your new lock.

Here's an inexpensive alternative if you don't feel the need to actually lock the side panel;

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=31323.0
Thanks, Jack. This is definitely an option.

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 03:33:36 pm
The locks are marked with the key number (etched on the bottom).  My key set also had a metal tab on the key ring with the number.

As far as I know, RE only sells a lock set.  Gas cap, ignition switch, and side cover lock.  I ordered it from the dealer.  $85 US.  Took about 5 weeks to get. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:37:21 pm by StefArmstg »
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 03:35:45 pm
If you decide to go with the simple latch idea PM me your address and I'll give you the extra one I have.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 11:09:55 pm
After using a wrench out of the tool bag, I hastily affixed the side cover, but apparently did not secure the latching mechanism. So the side cover, and leather bag attached to it fell off while riding. I was able to locate it the next morning a few miles from my house, but it had been hit by a vehicle. I was not able to recover the lock set.
I have new side cover assemblies ordered from India (sold as a pair, Continental GT inexplicably half the price of Interceptor), but they do not come with the lock. I'm sure I can buy a generic lock, but I don't want to carry a second key. Searching Ebay and the usual RE vendors, I didn't see what I was looking for. Maybe I just need to look harder.
So the questions for the forum are: Where can I source a new lock? Are the side cover and ignition locks truly mated, or will any old RE key open the side lock?
I saw a whole OEM lock set on EBay last night. I was just using Royal Enfield GT 650 in the search bar.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 02:56:43 pm
If you decide to go with the simple latch idea PM me your address and I'll give you the extra one I have.

I appreciate the offer. I'm going to return to "the scene of the crime" and give one last effort at finding my original.