Author Topic: Q /D Love It!  (Read 643 times)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
on: July 30, 2021, 02:24:45 am
It's been a good week so far, my package from Hitchcock's came in so amongst other things I got my new exhaust on and my tires came in too so today I started in on those, getting 15 year old rock hard tires off the rims was a test of strength and patience  but the the good part was the quick disconnect rear wheel, what a great feature, I was pleasantly surprised to find my bike had it. I have read over the years about other Brit bikes having them but didn't know that some Bullets do too. The other plus was my lift table has a removable panel so I was able to drop the tires out without raising  the fenders or taking them off saving a few steps. The spokes were all tight but I found a handful in the rim sticking up too far and ground them down flush. Neither tire / wheel was balanced from the factory so I will be correcting that.  One of the parts I ordered was a flip top to screw on gas cap conversion, it is well made and a screw on cap suites me better for both practical and aesthetic reasons . I have more parts to to add on or swap out plus service the primary case so it won't be coming off the lift for awhile but I'm looking forward to my next ride with the new exhaust and tires. 

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 02:36:38 am
That Q/D wheel and flip up rear subframe are the bomb. Every time I use them I'm impressed how much these motorcycles were designed & built by folks that rode them. My Japanese machines had center stands, but for roadside flat repair the Bullet takes the cake.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 10:57:19 am
I’ve probably mentioned this before on this forum but to save me having to unbolt the rear end of my Bullet to get the rear wheel out I just place separate 1” thick pieces of wood (4” x 4” fence posts caps are ideal) under each foot of the centre stand. The fence post caps fit easily in the rear carrier in case of needing to fix a puncture out on the road (actually I only carry one, to go under the right side which works adequately).

Easy to do; just put the bike on the centre stand, hold the handlebar, rock the bike away from me and push the wood under the sidestand with my foot. The bike sits ok. Then go round the other side, rock the bike away and place the other piece of wood under.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 05:55:27 pm
I love it also, and still don't understand why it was never universal on all chain driven bikes.
 There is one caveat though. The way R.E stays the brake backing plate leaves you no latitude to align the rear wheel if it is warranted .If only it had a more forgiving link as per all other bikes there would be no problem. It's best to keep that in mind when adjusting the chain. The backing plate wants to always be bolted flat to the swingarm. My rear wheel is slightly to the right but the bike still tracks strait. Early on there were some bent backing plate/broken bolt/ ruined bearings issues associated with it. You just have to let it go where it wants to go.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 06:59:29 pm
Ditto! I love the simplicity of the QD! That is the overall characteristic of the Bullet, simple, easy to work on.