Author Topic: Checking for oil flow  (Read 5151 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 02:17:21 pm
Some folks use these Harbor Freight ones: https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html

Right now they're on sale for $19.99, though I have seen 'em going for a bit less in the past.

If you want one that'll also tell you if your brisket's ready in the smoker, here's a digital "poker" on clearance for $5.97 that'll handle -40° F to 390° F: https://www.harborfreight.com/instant-read-digital-thermometer-63614.html

I'm not exactly sure what the full operating temperature should be, only that it will change with the ambient one. I have heard "about twice the air temperature" mentioned. However, I am led to understand that the AVL engines, meant to be "lean burning" for reduced emissions purposes, should run a bit hotter than their predecessor Iron Barrels by design.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 04:21:07 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 02:18:56 pm
OK.  Thanks.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 03:03:13 pm
+1 to 2CV @ #14!

The only time I ever couldn't hold my hand on the cases was after a 30 mile jog to town @ 105F, and even then it wasn't painfully hot. These Pre-Units have a lot of surface area for their HP output.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 03:34:15 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 10:45:55 pm
I spent half the day cleaning this motorcycle.  Big improvement in the looks though I think I may have spotted a problem with the front forks.  I'll leave that topic for next week.  Doesn't look too serious anyway.

So, I'll ask a couple more questions and then try to leave you guys alone for a few days.  I'm expecting my copy of Snidal next week.  I'm told it was put in the mail this past Monday.  Thank you for the recommendation.

My "Super Factory Service Manual" isn't helping here.  In this photo, what part of the engine am I draining as I pull each of these plugs?  Pretty sure at least one of them has a screen attached.  I'm guessing that the forward pump is what my manual calls the return pump.  It's nearest the line that carries oil up to the heads.

I'm going to change the oil in the morning.  With these different chambers needing oil, it almost seems like the engine should be idling while I pour in oil through the fill tube (I'm not planning on doing that).
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 12:15:44 pm
Plug#1 is the oil tank.

Plug#2 is the gauze strainer plug for the supply to the feed side oil pump.

Plug#3 is the gauze strainer plug for the scavenge side oil pump.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 01:07:44 pm
Plug#1 is the oil tank.

Plug#2 is the gauze strainer plug for the supply to the feed side oil pump.

Plug#3 is the gauze strainer plug for the scavenge side oil pump.

A.

Let me just say this before it comes up on the guitar; We would call it a wire mesh strainer or something like that here. Not gauze.

Gauze here in the good ol' U.S. of A. is a cloth bandage used in first aid when you cut your finger because you let your guard down for a second. Been there, done that. For me it's usually a piece of old sock and "duck" tape  :)

PS for mtrue77: Relax. It'll be OK. Take all three out, Let it drain. Refill. Recheck. Put a hair more in. Repeat. I keep mine 1/2 way between the top and bottom of the hash marks on the dipstick. Hint: Rub chalk into the hash marks. Makes it easy to see the oil when it's super clean.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 02:01:22 pm
Good.  Thank you.  So I don't have to go down to Rite Aid for a roll of bandage.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 02:13:10 pm
Building plans for the backyard.  Local code may apply.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 03:32:24 pm
Building plans for the backyard.  Local code may apply.

:) :) :) :) :) I would LOVE to start "The Old Farts Bike Shop & Lawn Chair Repair" business. "No bikes less than 15 years old".

Actually I'd make it 25 years, but that would exclude my own '08, the first electric start I've ever owned. And we would also have to get Ace to come in.

Gauze actually does means wire mesh, but that definition got lost here in the U.S. It comes from Gaza where Mike, The Pillow Guy sez his sheets are made.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 03:34:47 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 06:23:52 pm
@ #22: Needs some more cactus & mesquite, some "goatheads", a few miscellaneous scorpions, just to keep you on your toes.... :o ;D 
Bye the bye - Where's the wooden fence line where we put the old oil to ward off termites? A little "Trailer Park" recycling tip, no charge...  ??? ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 08:48:22 pm
@ #22: Needs some more cactus & mesquite, some "goatheads", a few miscellaneous scorpions, just to keep you on your toes.... :o ;D 
Bye the bye - Where's the wooden fence line where we put the old oil to ward off termites? A little "Trailer Park" recycling tip, no charge...  ??? ;D

Yes on the cactus and the rest Mr or Ls - trade the scorpios for horny toads. Luv 'em.

So you do that, too?  ;) I mix my drain oil 50/50 with diesel or kerosene when I had it around. I paint my whole split rail fence with it (and posts) at least every 2 years, mostly I've done it every year since day one. It's bare wood and still looks like furniture. I charred the posts AND they get the oil, too.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #26 on: July 25, 2021, 10:18:50 am
Gauze…..mesh? We English gave you a perfectly good language and look what you ‘mericans did to it!
Paul W.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: July 25, 2021, 11:45:30 am
Gauze…..mesh? We English gave you a perfectly good language and look what you ‘mericans did to it!

We use the word gauze more as its original etymology dictates; a cloth made first in Gaza from local plant products, e.g., cotton or silk. What's wrong with that? The Silk Road spread various languages all over the damn place. And you folks in the U.K. owe a lot of your (our) language to the French.

mtrue77

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: July 25, 2021, 01:03:13 pm
boys.  boys. 

So, now that I've decided to be rather more fastidious with my preventive maintenance, I spent much of the day changing the oil in two motorcycles.  And collecting data that I hope I'll find useful.  From the RE, I extracted 60 ounces of oil after pulling the drain plug, both gauze screens, and the filter.  That's a bit less than the 2-1/4 litres that my manual says is the tank capacity.  But, after running the engine for a little while, and then letting it sit for a little while, my dipstick had shown oil at the proper level.

Then, after I buttoned it up and added oil, I got two litres in, and it seems OK.

After that, I went for a ride.  Nineteen miles.  Stopping a couple times to see if anything was dripping out.  25, 35, 45, even up to 55 briefly.  When I got home, I shut it down and immediately dropped in the candy thermometer.  I had to keep my gloves on to touch the fill cap.  The thermoter ran up quickly to 204, slowly moved up to 205, just touched 206 for a second, and then started back down.  So, I'm calling it 205 for steady-state.  Air temp was about 75.

I'll check things again this afternoon, but this morning I'm taking the Janus out for a 100-mile ride.
Michael T
Pittsburgh, PA
2009 AVL

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 25, 2021, 07:49:06 pm
boys.  boys. 

I apologize to everybody. That went all off on a crazy tangent & I think it was my fault.