Author Topic: The Eternal Brake Light  (Read 668 times)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
on: July 10, 2021, 08:55:30 pm
While waiting on parts I'm going through everything I can think of on this low mileage 15 year old motorcycle. I'm 0wner #4 in only 1,800 miles and there are definitely areas of neglect from day one, none serious so far and some humorous, like today's find, the brake light that's always on. It started with replacing the bulb that was burned out and as soon as I did the bright filament was on, after some testing and tracing I found that on the back of the brake light fixture that the running light and brake light leads were switched around, switching them back fixed the problem. Judging by the dirt and undisturbed condition of the leads it had been that way for a very long time, quite possibly since new. The last owners had been riding it with the brake light on constantly....well at least until it burned out. Nothing major and an easy fix that had me smiling and shaking my head at the same time. I thought I'd share this with all of you. Maybe the ghost of Mr. Lucas haunts my bike. ;D I wonder what other electrical oddities I will come across?

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 03:12:40 am
The dreaded "PO" caused 99% of the issues I found with my bike when I got it. Enough to write a book (which I actually did).
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 04:32:05 am
The Tail/Brakelight is a good candidate for LED replacement, common auto supply item nowadays. LED's are about 20% of the wattage of an equivalent incandescent, and supposedly more vibration proof.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 05:31:33 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.