Author Topic: Another Oil Sight Glass Issue! (Seeking Assistance)  (Read 1762 times)

Gulf Coast Pegasus

• Scooter
Ahoy all! Seeking everyone's help on what appears to be a common issue. That being said, mine seems to be the opposite of most folks' concern: sight glass is full!

I recently picked up a supremely low mileage (143 miles) 2018 RE Classic 500 Pegasus. After immediately putting 400 miles on it, and realizing I was 200 miles past the recommended first oil change (300 miles), I completed it's first change today! I must admit, I am a motorcycling mechanic novice (minus the works of Peter Egan and Mr. Pirsig) and so had not even glanced at the sight glass prior to today.

Fast forward to buttoning up the engine; the sight glass is too low! Rather than going to the internet, I put in another 100 ML past the instructed 2.3 L (and soaked oil filter per Haynes manual). Lo and behold the sight glass is now totally full! Panicking, I drain the 100 ML out and sit in achievement gazing at my perfectly "at the top line" sight glass picture.

Then following the manual, I run for 3 minutes and the sight glass fills to the top! I then let the motor cool for a a dozen or so minutes, but the sight glass is still completely full. Reading many other forums and advice, I put the bike on the side stand, boom, no oil. Back up on the center stand, right in the middle! However, upon starting it up and running for a quick 5-10 minute jaunt around the neighborhood, the sight glass is full again. I am CONFIDENT there is no possibility of there being MORE than 2.3 L of oil (I have the 2.3 L empty bottles to prove it) and the vehicle sat draining for several hours while we sought out the proper gaskets from the local RE dealer. All of this is to say, I see no oil coming out of the right side of the crank case or in the air filter compartment (as someone noted on one forum is the relief valve). Should I be concerned? Should I start all over and put in a new 2.3 L after draining for longer?

TL/DR: My RE Classic 500 sight glass is almost to the top (above the maximum line) but I put in less than 2.3 L and a soaked filter. Should I be concerned or can I go on a coffee run tomorrow?

All help is appreciated! Thank you gents and gals.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:27:15 am by Gulf Coast Pegasus »

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 12:09:50 am
Ahoy all! Seeking everyone's help on what appears to be a common issue. That being said, mine seems to be the opposite of most folks' concern: sight glass is full!

I recently picked up a supremely low mileage (143 miles) 2018 RE Classic 500 Pegasus. After immediately putting 400 miles on it, and realizing I was 200 miles past the recommended first oil change (300 miles), I completed it's first change today! I must admit, I am a motorcycling mechanic novice (minus the works or Peter Egan and Mr. Pirsig) and so had not even glanced at the sight glass prior to today.

Fast forward to buttoning up the engine; the sight glass is too low! Rather than going to the internet, I put in another 100 ML past the instructed 2.3 L (and soaked oil filter per Haynes manual). Lo and behold the sight glass is now totally full! Panicking, I drain the 100 ML out and sit in achievement gazing at my perfectly "at the top line" sight glass picture.

Then following the manual, I run for 3 minutes and the sight glass fills to the top! I then let the motor cool for a a dozen or so minutes, but the sight glass is still completely full. Reading many other forums and advice, I put the bike on the side stand, boom, no oil. Back up on the center stand, right in the middle! However, upon starting it up and running for a quick 5-10 minute jaunt around the neighborhood, the sight glass is full again. I am CONFIDENT there is no possibility of there being MORE than 2.3 L of oil (I have the 2.3 L empty bottles to prove it) and the vehicle sat draining for several hours while we sought out the proper gaskets from the local RE dealer. All of this is to say, I see no oil coming out of the right side of the crank case or in the air filter compartment (as someone noted on one forum is the relief valve). Should I be concerned? Should I start all over and put in a new 2.3 L after draining for longer?

TL/DR: Might sight glass is almost to the top (above the maximum line) but I put in less than 2.3 L and a soaked filter. Should I be concerned or can I go on a coffee run tomorrow?

All help is appreciated! Thank you gents and gals.

Go on your coffee run tomorrow and don't worry about it. Sight glasses aren't very reliable, the difference between what seems to be overfull and correct is usually minuscule, hot oil expands a bit as well so trust the spec sheet, not the sight glass. I usually but the prescribed amount of oil in. Run it a few minutes and then let it sit overnight. In the morning top it off you want to, but as long as you've put the correct amount in and the oil in the sight glass is above the minimum all is well. BTW this applies to all engines with sight glasses not just RE.

FWIW Egan is a great writer and a decent mechanic, read everything you can by him. Pirsig is an idiot. If you want to educate yourself start by reading everything and anything you can find by Kevin Cameron, especially his Sportbike Performance Handbook. 

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 09:45:21 pm
It can't be more than a tiny amount overfilled - that will do no harm whatsoever. At worst it will blow the excess oil out of the breather pipe which vents into the air filter box, but if it's only slightly overfilled it probably won't even do that. Don't sweat it - ride it.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Gulf Coast Pegasus

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 10:37:16 pm
Thank you Zimm and Keef!! Appreciate both your replies. I would be devastated If I caused any damage, so I wanted to check with folks in the know beforehand. The Pegasus performed admirably on the coffee run this morning!

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 01:18:12 am
Glad to hear it. Those are great motorcycles, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.  ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 12:22:47 pm

FWIW Egan is a great writer and a decent mechanic, read everything you can by him. Pirsig is an idiot.

I also thought, when I first read it, which was a long time ago, that he was also a real prick to his son.

I'd have to reread it (Z&TAOMM) again now at the age of 83, to see how I'd think now.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 01:39:04 pm
       I also thought, when I first read it, which was a long time ago, that he was also a real prick to his son.

I'd have to reread it (Z&TAOMM) again now at the age of 83, to see how I'd think now.

Pirsig's kid killed himself when he was around 21 I think, so the relationship probably wasn't great. I was pretty young when I read it, the owner of the Yamaha shop where I was working thought it was great and suggested I read it. I thought it was tripe, but now that I'm in near 70 I might have a different opinion...Nah, I'd still think it was BS. ;)

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 11:51:52 pm
Chris Pirsig was killed by a mugger in San Francisco at age 22.
Lurker on a Vespa

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 12:33:53 am
Chris Pirsig was killed by a mugger in San Francisco at age 22.

My apologies, I'd was under the impression he'd taken his own life, obviously I was misinformed. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Oldmike

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 05:12:10 pm
You can only check the level after running the engine on the centre stand for 2 minutes.  If you stop the engine before it's on the centre stand any tilt will shift oil out of the window compartment. I think its the rotor that splashes oil back into the window compartment.

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 10:00:24 am
Hey there, kinda found this by fluke. Anyway, I did the exact thing you did with your bike regarding topping up the oil with my 2021 Interceptor. Same results, I didn't drain the little extra and it been fine. Try it on the centre stand idling and the rev a bit.  On mine the oil drops with revs, back to idle and the window fills! All good tho
Cheers
Pete

Gulf Coast Pegasus

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 10:26:24 pm
Appreciate everyone's input! I've put about 30 miles on her since the change and nothing seems wrong. Good to hear as I'll be throwing around 500 miles within the next two weeks. Again, thank you to all who commented. Definitely made me feel better!