Author Topic: Sidecar  (Read 1855 times)

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
on: June 26, 2021, 11:41:23 am
Yep, my latest lunacy is a sidecar for my Himalayan.
It'll be some time before it's fitted - I want to the fit the TEC cam, then save the money for the fitting, but I've got the sidecar itself.
It's a home made job that was previously fitted to an XT250 so the Himalayan should have no trouble towing it. It should be fun on the dirt roads we get around here.
Roll on my poor man's Ural  ;D
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 03:16:50 pm
Yep, my latest lunacy is a sidecar for my Himalayan.
It'll be some time before it's fitted - I want to the fit the TEC cam, then save the money for the fitting, but I've got the sidecar itself.
It's a home made job that was previously fitted to an XT250 so the Himalayan should have no trouble towing it. It should be fun on the dirt roads we get around here.
Roll on my poor man's Ural  ;D

Hey, good luck. Ya' know?, that thing, painted right, could be very Mad Maxish :)

And when you're tired of slamming and bouncing it around the back roads you could convert it to sell Orange Creamsickles or hot dogs (with a big Foster's) at the beach. Great way to meet girls and influence children  :) :) ;)

I was addicted to orange creamsickles in the late '40s and early '50s. Later it was coffee ice cream.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:29:28 am
           Hey, good luck. Ya' know?, that thing, painted right, could be very Mad Maxish :)

Thanks.
My first thought was to paint it but having had it for a bit, natural aluminium seems to fit the rough house nature of the Himalayan. We'll see.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
  • Granite Black E5 Himalayan
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 04:28:34 pm
Phrases I never thought I would hear - "Poor man's Ural".  ;D
Sod it, lets ride!

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 03:52:18 am
I too am doing a sidecar project, and currently fixing the Indian crapsmanship on a used Cozy.  Aside from the crude suspension that needed a bit of engineering, I am fixing a Brooklands screen, brake, 18" alloy rim, new stainless mudguard, and proper paint
Still a month or two away

What was apparent is that the stock fork "brace" is woefully inadequate, being a cheap casting with the tensile strength of cheddar cheese.  The lack of an x-brace to resist the torsional load imposed by a sidecar is a big detriment in the stock part, and is more of a mudguard bracket than a proper fork brace.
I made this to cure the problem - note the slotted mount holes to the fork to allow proper fork alignment to reduce stiction.

Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 04:56:51 am
OldPhart - if you live in a rural area, see if you can find a failed 60 gallon fiberglass captive air pressure tank. It would be about the right size for the frame, they're tough, waterproof, structurally rigid, and have a lot of interior area for storage of sleeping bags, tent, fishing poles, etc. These used tanks are normally free for the asking, just pop out the interior air bladder, get a few extra cut off wheels for your peanut grinder and sketch out the desired cowl shape on the tank with a marks-a lot. A sanding drum on a 1/4" drill makes short work of radiusing the corners. 
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 04:54:07 am
OldPhart - if you live in a rural area, see if you can find a failed 60 gallon fiberglass captive air pressure tank. It would be about the right size for the frame, they're tough, waterproof, structurally rigid, and have a lot of interior area for storage of sleeping bags, tent, fishing poles, etc. These used tanks are normally free for the asking, just pop out the interior air bladder, get a few extra cut off wheels for your peanut grinder and sketch out the desired cowl shape on the tank with a marks-a lot. A sanding drum on a 1/4" drill makes short work of radiusing the corners.

Good idea! I was thinking the cockpit of a scrapped Blanik would be fun... 😊
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 05:35:19 am
Further on my sidecar build.
No actual building done. I just put my bike on the centrestand, collected some bricks and loosely assembled the chair on them. Nothing's bolted in place, not even the wheel. But it gives an idea of what it looks like.
I'm probably not going to bother with the screen, especially as it'll be used for luggage only to start with. Maybe fit it or something like it later if I start using it for passengers, though if a passenger is wearing a full face helmet, do we need a screen?
Not surprisingly, the attaching rods don't match anything on the bike. So it'll be new rods and a subframe.
Anyway, here are some photos.

Note: the attachments are showing upside down but show upright if you open them
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500