Author Topic: Motorcyclist magazine video review of the Meteor  (Read 2797 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 04, 2021, 10:52:56 pm
Here is a link to a relatively long and reasonably complementary video riding review of the U.S. version of the Super Nova Royal Enfield Meteor 350 by Motorcyclist magazine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6fthEmlGo

The main complaints of the reviewer is poor braking, low power for U.S. freeways and a price that he felt was a bit too high.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:06:58 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 12:15:59 am
poor braking, low power for U.S. freeways and a price that he felt was a bit too high.
I believe he'd be right on all accounts!
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 04:43:48 pm
There are several reviews of this bike on YouTube now and not a bad one in the bunch. The Missenden Flyer thought the braking was decent enough. He didn't care for the appearance of the pillion seat and that was it.

All the "complaints" so far seem to have been more personal choice points, so all in all, this little bike should be a good buy and a blast to ride for the purpose intended. It isn't intended for US freeways, although it is capable of 75 MPH. My Honda ST1100 (Pan) is for riding with the big boys.

Waiting on delivery of a Supernova Brown myself!
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 05:43:37 pm
In what aspect would the Meteor be superior in any way over a 20 year old Suzuki DR350???
Mpg?
Weight?
Bhp?
Service intervals?
Brakes?
Cruising speed?
Build quality?
Parts availability?
Dealer network?
Price?
Reliability?
Honestly, I just don't get it  :o

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 01:02:24 am
I don't recall anyone saying it would be superior to any other bike. It's just something new, not 20 years old. I guess you aren't interested in having one then? More for the hordes that seem to be wanting them.

If a dealer in Vancouver has ordered 100 units already, somebody must be liking them.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 02:25:01 am
I only bought my Bullet because it was cheap, the very notion of paying for a brand new bike that's 30 years behind in technology smacks me the same way as Harley ownership.
There's literally not one single thing a brand new 350 RE is going to be better at than a 20 year old Suzuki apart from posing with.
Don't even look at the engine capacity, at that price there are tons of much better options... I'll start with the W650...

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 03:41:34 am
I don't know squat about that Susie, but did it have ABS hydraulic brakes, or a navigation device, or a USB charging port for your phone, or a balancer shaft in the engine, or alloy wheels with tubeless tires, or both analog and digital displays in the instrument cluster, which offers a clock, fuel gauge with available range, a side stand light, a trip meter as well as the odometer or, and this is important, the looks of a classic British bike?

Except for the last, I'd say those are modern improvements.

If you aren't a fan, why are you here knocking something you wouldn't buy?
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 11:49:57 am
So a new instrument cluster that could be sourced on aliexpress for $30...?
It's down to looks. The pose factor of a classic looking bike.
I'm here knocking it because it makes as much sense as buying a Harley.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 01:52:11 pm
Our Western export preferences are a case of the tail trying to wag the dog. Compared to Enfield's HUGE home and growing Southeast Asian markets, where their old Bullet and hugely popular Thunderbird model 350s (their all-time best seller that the Meteor replaces owing to stiffer emissions regs) have long been the popular preference, even over their 500s. Combined North American, European and Australian sales are merely a small droplet in their bucket. A 350 Enfield yonder IS their "Harley", namely an aspirational vehicle--an object of conspicuous consumption with a big dollop of Harleyesque "patriotism", at least in their home market. In stark contrast to the Meteor's role as a possible "first bike" in the West--just something to learn on--yonder it's the end goal.

Could I find happiness riding a Meteor? Sure. But then I've been perfectly content nursing along an old Iron Barrel Bullet in perfect zenlike acceptance of its archaic limitations. I happily make those concessions to modernity for "character's" sake, mostly stay off the superhighways, and I'm OK with that. I didn't wanna be on 'em anyhow. I'd rather wave at the Amish gals as I chuff on by, practically Amish myself. Hell, a Meteor might even be a performance upgrade for me, were I at all interested in such things. Yet I'm pretty sure many if not most other  riders here in the Land of the Plastic Spork who bought a Meteor 350 might soon experience something akin to "Honda Rebel 300 Buyer's Remorse". Namely, an acknowledgement after a time that although the little Rebel is a fine fuss-free vehicle, the growing nagging wish that they'd just gone for the 500 twin Rebel to begin with. By the same token, I expect many Meteor buyers might be happier in the long run just ponying up a bit more for the 650.

If Enfield did want to get that export tail wagging a bit harder, they might consider beefing up that Meteor to a 500 or thereabouts, like they eventually did with the Bullet.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:21:06 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 02:36:10 pm
Bilgemaster, completely agree.
The 350cc is perfectly suited to India.
It is purely a fashion accessory anywhere else and, to an extent, I'm cool with that. Trying to justify one in the western world though?
My buddy keeps working (throwing money at) his 883 Sportster. I sent him a link to a £1000 VX800 and asked how much his Supertrapp exhaust system cost... but a VX isn't 'cool' like a HD  ::)
Enfields appear to be purely for masochists  ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 06:33:06 pm
Bilgemaster, completely agree.
The 350cc is perfectly suited to India.
It is purely a fashion accessory anywhere else and, to an extent, I'm cool with that. Trying to justify one in the western world though?
My buddy keeps working (throwing money at) his 883 Sportster. I sent him a link to a £1000 VX800 and asked how much his Supertrapp exhaust system cost... but a VX isn't 'cool' like a HD  ::)
Enfields appear to be purely for masochists  ;D

I've never really been drawn to Harleys...probably because they just weren't a big part of the street scene in downtown Boston during my formative years in the '60s as a gutter snipe ragamuffin, shoe-shine boy, and all-around Dickens character, when my notions of what a motorcycle ought to be were first jelling. Sure, you saw the odd goofy 3-wheeler Harley Servi-Car hauling around meter maids or Popsicle sellers, but those were hardly the epitome of "cool". Mostly one saw various Triumphs, BSAs, and maybe the odd BMW here and there. I doubt long-legged Harleys were then or are now the ideal mount for the gladiator school of Boston traffic, which rewards the nimble and still even has its own helpful specialized local handbook to perils, landmarks (i.e., names of prominent potholes), tactics, and best practices for survival (e.g., "NEVER repair a broken headlamp, since its dead eye stare commands fear and respect from your adversaries") aptly-titled, Wild in the Streets, still available at Amazon or in most any glove compartment of any car within 50 miles of Boston.

But when those little "baby" 883 Sportsters were first re-introduced back in, I think, about 1988, I recall a sort of "try it free for 2 years" trade-in campaign as described in the attached ad, whereby you could get every penny you spent on an 883 back in trade-in value if you decided by then you wanted to "go bigger." It struck me at the time as quite a clever tactic to coax new riders into the dealerships. Except that long being used to a 750 Norton Commando, and just a couple years later its predecessor "Desert Sled" 750 N15CS hybrid (Norton Atlas engine and forks in a sturdy Matchless frame), I could still never see myself as ever being dissatisfied enough with an 883--namely about 145 ccs more than the 748 I'd been perfectly content with all those years--to ever need or want to trade up.

I was only recently made aware of the fact that Sportsters might actually be viewed all in all with disdain by riders of other Harley models, with the 883s in particular often being dismissed as "girly bikes". I was astonished by this, but I suppose I couldn't care less what some snooty cosplaying orthodontist from New Jersey in his adorable 'Sons of Anarchy' getup might "think". I'd happily give a serviceable old Sportster a good home if it came my way at a good price, even a "little" 883. In fact, a while back I looked over a prospective Sportster on craigslist, a semi-scruffy 1200 (I believe?) in blue. But the seller just wanted more than I cared to pay.

So, I just keep toodling along on my old Bullet. Some may call it "masochistic", I prefer to think of it as a protracted exercise in "character building".
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:50:51 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 08:13:02 pm
Our Western export preferences are a case of the tail trying to wag the dog. Compared to Enfield's HUGE home and growing Southeast Asian markets, where their old Bullet and hugely popular Thunderbird model 350s (their all-time best seller that the Meteor replaces owing to stiffer emissions regs) have long been the popular preference, even over their 500s. Combined North American, European and Australian sales are merely a small droplet in their bucket. A 350 Enfield yonder IS their "Harley", namely an aspirational vehicle--an object of conspicuous consumption with a big dollop of Harleyesque "patriotism", at least in their home market. In stark contrast to the Meteor's role as a possible "first bike" in the West--just something to learn on--yonder it's the end goal.

If Enfield did want to get that export tail wagging a bit harder, they might consider beefing up that Meteor to a 500 or thereabouts, like they eventually did with the Bullet.

What BM says is quite true, and borne out by the published numbers.  If you check periodically, you'll see these come out periodically, with a full breakdown, like these numbers from March 2021:  https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=30730.0

A quick glance makes it pretty obvious that the export market is a small fraction of the size of the domestic, and has radically different desires in motorcycles.

I personally don't think that boring the 350 OHC engine out to 500 will have much affect on export sales.  This didn't work as RE desired in the UCE, and I see no reason why it would work with the "J" platform.  The India market avoided the premium priced 500 UCE and it didn't sell very well in export markets either.  Sales of 500s got much worse when the 650s appeared.  On the bright side, for those of us who like the big singles, it seems that, at least in my area, most of the ones that were sold, spend the majority of their lives safely parked in the garages of older gentlemen.

I think that the key to good export sales penetration of the Meteor, in this case, would be price.   But, we will see what happens as the model matures.  The J engined Classic 350 is just months away, if we are to believe the Indian press, and this might be popular with the segment that purchased the biggest selling 500 UCE, the C5.  Balancing that, there is also to be a 650 engine Classic, which I see as being in direct competition for the retro market shopper's dollars.  My opinion is that the shopper in the export component of the retro market segment is NOT very price sensitive.

I was only recently made aware of the fact that Sportsters might actually be viewed all in all with disdain by riders of other Harley models, with the 883s in particular often being dismissed as "girly bikes". I was astonished by this, but I suppose I couldn't care less what some snooty cosplaying orthodontist from New Jersey in his adorable 'Sons of Anarchy' getup might "think". I'd happily give a serviceable old Sportster a good home if it came my way at a good price, even a "little" 883. In fact, a while back I looked over a prospective Sportster on craigslist, a semi-scruffy 1200 (I believe?) in blue. But the seller just wanted more than I cared to pay.

Some of those Harley riders have unsubstantiated opinions that are the largest single component of their personalities.  The "sportster is a girls bike!" and the general disdain for any other make, including other American made machines, are well documented.

The key to getting a good deal on a Harley is to hang out with Harley guys, or even better, their wives, girlfriends and sisters.  Being part of the group gives you access to the bikes that are sold without advertisement, and being in touch with the womenfolk gives one access to estate and "spite" sales as well.  Guys who operate service shops have access to bikes at super cheap prices.  I know of a '71 FLH that sold last year for $2000, including an original white buddy seat that was worth 1/4 of that all by itself, and an '81 XLH that changed hands for $1200. 

You want to find the unfortunates who lost their storage space, and either don't have a computer or digital camera, or are too lazy to place an ad.  The guys who run the "Old bikes wanted" ads in the free Auto Trader mag, know what I'm talking about.  http://echo-media.com/medias/details/10476

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 05:28:48 pm
I've never really been drawn to Harleys...probably because they just weren't a big part of the street scene in downtown Boston during my formative years in the '60s as a gutter snipe ragamuffin, shoe-shine boy, and all-around Dickens character, when my notions of what a motorcycle ought to be were first jelling. Sure, you saw the odd goofy 3-wheeler Harley Servi-Car hauling around meter maids or Popsicle sellers, but those were hardly the epitome of "cool". Mostly one saw various Triumphs, BSAs, and maybe the odd BMW here and there. I doubt long-legged Harleys were then or are now the ideal mount for the gladiator school of Boston traffic, which rewards the nimble and still even has its own helpful specialized local handbook to perils, landmarks (i.e., names of prominent potholes), tactics, and best practices for survival (e.g., "NEVER repair a broken headlamp, since its dead eye stare commands fear and respect from your adversaries") aptly-titled, Wild in the Streets, still available at Amazon or in most any glove compartment of any car within 50 miles of Boston.

I've always found it odd that the original 883 Sportsters were considered rip snorting fire breathing SOBs. During my formative years they were considered to be one of the three or four fastest bikes on the planet, and no one in their right mind would have considered them an entry level bike , let alone a "girly" one. Hell, Sonny Barger, at the time, president of the Hell's Angels, rode a Sportster and I bet no one ever accused him of riding a girls bike. The new ones have about the same horsepower as the '57 to 70 versions, better brakes, handle better and have five speeds. Plus they start, idle and stay together. What's not to like? ;)

But when those little "baby" 883 Sportsters were first re-introduced back in, I think, about 1988, I recall a sort of "try it free for 2 years" trade-in campaign as described in the attached ad, whereby you could get every penny you spent on an 883 back in trade-in value if you decided by then you wanted to "go bigger." It struck me at the time as quite a clever tactic to coax new riders into the dealerships. Except that long being used to a 750 Norton Commando, and just a couple years later its predecessor "Desert Sled" 750 N15CS hybrid (Norton Atlas engine and forks in a sturdy Matchless frame), I could still never see myself as ever being dissatisfied enough with an 883--namely about 145 ccs more than the 748 I'd been perfectly content with all those years--to ever need or want to trade up.

So, I just keep toodling along on my old Bullet. Some may call it "masochistic", I prefer to think of it as a protracted exercise in "character building".

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 10:19:05 pm

Sorry about that, here's what I wanted to say, without placing it in the middle of the Bilge's comments. My apologies. ::)

I've always found it odd that the original 883 Sportsters were considered rip snorting fire breathing SOBs. During my formative years they were considered to be one of the three or four fastest bikes on the planet, and no one in their right mind would have considered them an entry level bike , let alone a "girly" one. Hell, Sonny Barger, at the time, president of the Hell's Angels, rode a Sportster and I bet no one ever accused him of riding a girls bike. The new ones have about the same horsepower as the '57 to 70 versions, better brakes, handle better and have five speeds. Plus they start, idle and stay together. What's not to like? ;)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 10:27:07 pm
Sorry about that, here's what I wanted to say, without placing it in the middle of the Bilge's comments. My apologies. ::)

But the new ones are not Competition Hot like the old ones. Plus, not a lot of girls would be not able to kick start one of those mid-1960's Sporsters. No electric starters on the CH versions. My H-D brochure says they were "dynamite on or off the road".   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1