Author Topic: Pegasus Edition  (Read 11458 times)

cupoftee

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 13, 2021, 04:39:34 pm
Hi all you Pegasus owners.
New Post and would like to add that I'm an owner of 887.
Bought on Saturday 12th June.
Rides very nicely with only 924 miles on the clock. 2018 model, but was a bit surprised about the paint falling off the pannier rail. Only one so off to the powder coaters tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 05:16:43 pm by cupoftee »

Mark1971

• Scooter
  • Durham, UK, Classic 500
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2021, 08:32:25 pm
Check your phone camera after a ride. My 500 killed my phone cameras stability with all the vibration, I don't notice it but the phone obviously wasn't happy.
Mark from Durham, UK
Classic 500 - Battle green 2020
Moto Guzzi V7 853 2022

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 08:57:12 pm
Check your phone camera after a ride. My 500 killed my phone cameras stability with all the vibration, I don't notice it but the phone obviously wasn't happy.
This is a known factor with Bullets. Mount your phone on your bike at your peril! The vibration from the 500 engine destroys the auto-focus gubbins in phones cameras. If you really need to use your phone as a satnav I suggest putting it in a tank bag with a clear window on top to insulate it from the engine vibes. The Beeline motorcycle satnav might be a good alternative solution. https://beeline.co/
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 08:57:25 am
Hi all you Pegasus owners.
New Post and would like to add that I'm an owner of 887.
Bought on Saturday 12th June.
Rides very nicely with only 924 miles on the clock. 2018 model, but was a bit surprised about the paint falling off the pannier rail. Only one so off to the powder coaters tomorrow.
You can see in your photo the the canvass panniers have collapsed in at the top, I bought a couple of lengths 20mm x 3mm soft aluminium bar and folded it to make a frame to fit up inside the black covers, this holds the mouth of the pannier open, it stays in place because it is between the inner cover and the canvass, the lids are then a nice fit over the bags.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 12:50:22 am
when i had my pegasus edition i just ran a small length of gaffa tape along the rail to avoid the paint rubbing issue. worked fine! worked fine on other C5's too when stapping bags directly to the railing

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 01:19:54 pm
A trip to Bénouville might be a nice run for it...

A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Bridge

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

cupoftee

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 07:43:32 am
Thanks for the tips guys.
I'm still smiling about getting this machine, now I have the Hitchcocks exhaust on, the noise is intoxicating.
We were chatting the other day about going to France, maybe next year when the world hopefully is in a better place.

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 08:53:37 am
Thanks for the tips guys.
I'm still smiling about getting this machine, now I have the Hitchcocks exhaust on, the noise is intoxicating.
We were chatting the other day about going to France, maybe next year when the world hopefully is in a better place.
Perhaps get a few Pegasus riders together for a trip to France, I have only ever seen one other Pegasus when out and about and that was in 2018 when I bought mine new. My dealer said he had sold about 5 of them, I think because of the limited run of these they were bought for investment, there has been a couple on eBay for 6 & 7K.

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 06:37:27 am
Number 752:

I'm really happy with the motorcycle.

Alan

cupoftee

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: June 28, 2021, 05:25:48 am
I was emailing a bike shop in the UK before I purchased mine.
They have a new one in stock. Its not for sale. Last one they sold was for £10000.

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: July 02, 2021, 09:04:49 pm
I was emailing a bike shop in the UK before I purchased mine.
They have a new one in stock. Its not for sale. Last one they sold was for £10000.

I saw a bike shop advertising one (as new, 3 years old of course) a few weeks ago for £9,000!

PS. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202009234104400?include-delivery-option=on&sort=price-asc&radius=1501&postcode=nn188pf&make=ROYAL%20ENFIELD&model=CLASSIC%20MILITARY&advertising-location=at_bikes&page=1
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 09:50:27 pm by Othen »

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 09:26:46 pm
I ordered some engine bars for my Pegasus a month or so ago, direct from a supplier in China. They arrived surprisingly quickly and were as cheap as chips (about £40 delivered, no import duty), but were of very disappointing quality. As you may see here, the right side bar would have fouled the exhaust pipe:

... so, I emailed the company to express my displeasure, and after a few very convivial exchanges it agreed a full refund and did not want the parts back. The refund was completed, and the bars sat in a box in my garage for about a month. This evening I thought I'd have a go a modifying the kit so it fitted my motorcycle.

The issue was the right side bar would always foul the exhaust if fitted as designed: flush with the engine plate, secured with the 1/2" frame bolt at the top and the two small unused holes at the bottom. My solution was to use a longer frame bolt (actually the one supplied in the kit - M12 rather that 1/2" but a pretty snug fit tensile bolt) and some spacers (that normally fit under the cylinder head bolts of a Volvo B21a car engine - never throw things away) as well as a couple of extra M12 nuts. The result was to offset the right bar outwards by about an inch, which worked perfectly:

... I hope you can see the difference in these two photos (I know, a close up photo would have been better...). I also had to find a longer M8 bolt for the lower engine plate hole, and a couple more nuts (one a nylock) to extend it outwards also. All this only took about half an hour - most of which was spent looking for bits and pieces that would fit in my various spare parts boxes. I think the result looks fine:

Everything is sturdy and the right hand engine bar no longer fouls the exhaust pipe. I started the motor and everything seems fine - although I have not taken the bike for a test ride yet.

Obviously the right hand engine bar sticks out about an inch further than the left, but that is not obviously apparent:

I think the kit looks pretty good on the motorcycle. Everything is firm and I suppose it would give some small protection from low speed shunts. The best part is the whole thing has been free!

I'll try the motorcycle out on the road over the next few days, and if all is well I think I'll keep the engine bars. What I may do is find a new and slightly longer (about 6") 1/2" tensile bolt to replace the M12 one that came with the kit. I know the difference is a gnats knacker (between 1/2" and M12), but that would be pretty sensible and cost very little).

:-)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 09:31:11 pm by Othen »

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 08:30:55 am
Here are the two close up photos that I should have included above (but forgot). The first shows spacing the right hand engine bar out by about an inch using the supplied M12 bolt and a few big washers from my parts box:

... this works fine but looks just a little bit Heath Robinson for my liking, so I've ordered a 6.5" long 1/2" UNF bolt, nut and another nyloc nut to suit that will tidy it up so it looks like Mr Enfield meant it to be.

The lower one just needed a longer bolt and a few nuts. I may find a neat sleeve to act as a spacer and so dispense with the nuts:

... but there again, it works fine :-)

Alan

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: July 17, 2021, 12:41:00 pm
This is (I hope) the final, tidied up, manifestation of the Chinese engine bars modification.

The 1/2" UNF bolt showed up in the mail this morn so I swapped out the M12 one, added a few different spacers (similarly re-purposed from a Volvo B21a) and some nyloc nuts. I also fitted a proper sleeve and a more substantial nut and bolt to the lower fitting:

... overall I'm quite happy with the outcome. The right side bar sticks out an inch further than the left, but that hardly notices. The whole arrangement suits the bike well and would provide some small protection for low speed shunts. Best of all it was free (well, the bolt was about a fiver).

:-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 12:43:03 pm by Othen »

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2021, 01:02:34 pm
Alan - stop posting and start B.B.Q.ing🤣🤣🤣🤣  Looks great by the way👍.
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍