Author Topic: Himalayan adventuring in South Australia  (Read 9909 times)

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
on: December 08, 2020, 09:46:21 am
The first video on my youtube channel. This one covers a ride from Pt Vincent to Pt Julia on South Australia's Yorke Peninsula.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DuP8jovUM

I plan to add more videos covering the roads I ride around Adelaide and throughout South Australia. It's the first I've ever made, so please be gentle with me.

PS: is there anyway of embedding youtube videos? Or can you only show them as a link?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:58:23 am by oldphart »
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 03:18:30 pm
Nice work man. I am planning on putting my own videos up soon.

Out of curiosity, would you like constructive criticism or prefer just compliments? No shame either way, many times when I post photos I am just looking for some internet praise. ;)

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 03:19:06 pm
P.S. This makes me want to come visit.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 06:22:03 pm
[...Snip!]

PS: is there anyway of embedding youtube videos? Or can you only show them as a link?

I just played around with a few hacks and workarounds found "out there" to be able to "embed" videos in postings to this Forum, but haven't had much luck. I agree that it would be handy feature, but as near as I can tell would require the Admins to configure/modify the system to allow for it. Sadly, this is above my pay grade as a mere "Global Moderator", grand though that may sound. Accordingly, I have passed along your suggestion to the "Forum Improvements" section at https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29780.0
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 08:57:21 am
I just played around with a few hacks and workarounds found "out there" to be able to "embed" videos in postings to this Forum, but haven't had much luck. I agree that it would be handy feature, but as near as I can tell would require the Admins to configure/modify the system to allow for it. Sadly, this is above my pay grade as a mere "Global Moderator", grand though that may sound. Accordingly, I have passed along your suggestion to the "Forum Improvements" section at https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29780.0
Thanks mate.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 08:58:33 am
Nice work man. I am planning on putting my own videos up soon.

Out of curiosity, would you like constructive criticism or prefer just compliments? No shame either way, many times when I post photos I am just looking for some internet praise. ;)

Thanks mate.

Constructive criticism is good. It is, afterall, my first effort
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:00:08 am
P.S. This makes me want to come visit.

I plan to put a lot more up, but it with the effort involved, it may not be regular.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 05:55:54 pm
Thanks mate.

Constructive criticism is good. It is, afterall, my first effort

I am not a professional or anything, so my comments aren't meant to be taken as firm rules. But a couple of things I noticed in yours and my own videos:

Try to keep the videos under 5 min, longer and people are going to click away.
Fast forwarding portions of the clip, this will cut down the runtime.
Stabilize the video. Your camera work is WAY more steady than mine. But if you do speed up the clips it will get real bad.
More camera perspectives. I like the side of the head mount. It would also be cool to see some side views, rear views, chin mounted views, and different mounting positions.

I really like the landscape and you did a great job showcasing it. It makes me want to go there.
Great commentary both over the mic and text. Keep that up. :)

I'll be sure to post my video when I get it put together. Feel free to give me some constructive feedback too. Cheers!

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 10:36:55 am
I am not a professional or anything, so my comments aren't meant to be taken as firm rules. But a couple of things I noticed in yours and my own videos:

Try to keep the videos under 5 min, longer and people are going to click away.
Fast forwarding portions of the clip, this will cut down the runtime.
Stabilize the video. Your camera work is WAY more steady than mine. But if you do speed up the clips it will get real bad.
More camera perspectives. I like the side of the head mount. It would also be cool to see some side views, rear views, chin mounted views, and different mounting positions.

I really like the landscape and you did a great job showcasing it. It makes me want to go there.
Great commentary both over the mic and text. Keep that up. :)

I'll be sure to post my video when I get it put together. Feel free to give me some constructive feedback too. Cheers!

Thanks.
I've only got the one camera and it's mounted on the side of my helmet (SENA 10C Evo) so I'm sort of stuck with that one viewpoint for the time being. I agree that extra view points add to the interest.

I was sort of stuck for length on this one. I'm aware of the time issue. A fair bit of it was already sped up. To cut it down more, I'd have to chop bits out. That's the skill of editing, knowing what to cut out (you missed the discussion on the galahs... and the holiday village... ) For example, the start was too long, but I didn't know it at the time of filming. I probably could have just chopped bits out but wanted to keep it coherent. In future I'll plan things a bit better. I may even do short versions and long versions.

The camera stabilization may be something in the camera, but is probably more to do with the camera being mounted on my helmet.

Thanks for the feedback, particularly being nice about the commentary (I'll be using that to keep things interesting in future). Looking forward to seeing yours
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 07:52:48 pm
For sure man. We all improve each other.

I don't know what editing program you are using but videopad (https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html) has a stabilize video function that seems to work pretty well. But it takes a CRAZY long time. Mine took about 3 hours to stabilize a 15 minute clip.

I totally hear you not wanting to cut stuff. It feels like you are losing a bit of the story.

Do you ever watch ItchyBoots? She does some really keen videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIs9nkveW9WmYtsOcJBwTg

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 07:45:58 am
Yes, I'm using VideoPad and quite like it, even if some of the icons don't make a lot of sense. I think I'll stick with it.

I watched all of Itchy Boots until a few episodes into her current series when it started to sound like 'just a girl on her bike'. Pity really. Maybe she's lifted her game.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 10:11:33 am
My latest video. A quick run along a service road on Yorke Peninsula in South Australia

Look out for these service roads. You'll find them all over the country and they're a great way to get a bit of dirt time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1buaJbhr_0
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 12:02:11 pm
Yes, I'm using VideoPad and quite like it, even if some of the icons don't make a lot of sense. I think I'll stick with it.

I watched all of Itchy Boots until a few episodes into her current series when it started to sound like 'just a girl on her bike'. Pity really. Maybe she's lifted her game.

I enjoyed your last video in the post before this one. I always do since I can ride so much less now and get off riding with other people in places all over the world to fill in my down time. Don't apologize for any of your videos. They're just fine. A lot of Australia and NZ remind me of growing up in Wyoming which I now wish I had never left.

As far as Noraly and her Itchy Boots are concerned, I'm still faithful to her. I think she's an amazing girl/woman and I've watched every single episode of every series at least once and am very impressed with her confidence. I've said from the very beginning that we need more women like her here in the States (not necessarily on motorcycles) instead of the millions of "silly helpless people" we seem to have been breeding and encouraging and approving of and rewarding (and electing) here by the millions in the U.S. for the past 70 years.

Something that has become VERY irritating and more apparent and constant in this latest series and that she should be getting advice and coaching about is her constant nervous giggle about everything. She just giggles about EVerything now more in this latest series than ever before and it must leave some of the people she is dealing with now in these new situations with a bad impression of her that is undeserved. Her future is probably going to be in the public eye in some way and she should really work on the giggling.

Thank god she doesn't also stick a "basically" or a "ya know" between every third word of a sentence as is SO ubiquitous here in the US now. NObody seems to be able to start a sentence any more without a "Well, so, you know, I think, basically...." on the front of EVERY friggin' sentence. I can't even stand more than 3 minutes on the phone with my own daughter because of this. She can no longer get two words of a sentence out without a "Ya know" stuck in. 

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 12:06:32 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 02:27:03 pm
You know, basically, I agree with your statements regarding the mess that American language is becoming. It is especially irritating when I hear University of California professors who are expounding upon our politics or the virus future say the same words  every other sentence. I really wish our schools would teach how to read and write English, in addition to teaching to math and science, instead of spending much of the day watching movies like my granddaughters experienced while they were attending high school.  :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 08:04:02 pm
Murray Mallee next time? Besides the service roads, in the mallee a lot of roads have a single track made by dirt bike riders. Local "land care" vigilante groups and councils try to intimidate riders to not use them with signs or obstacles placed across the tracks but in reality if your bike is roadworthy and registered, single tracks are fair game.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E