Author Topic: Planning a local get together  (Read 6430 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 06, 2019, 09:17:17 pm
I am trying to plan a get together for RE riders in a centralized location accessible to most. I was considering Galax Virginia, as this would accommodate our fellow riders from Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia and possibly other states will be able to make the venture. Who would be interested in something like this?
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:40:11 pm
I don't know about anyone else but a decent lead time is important to be able to get off work. I would be up for this given enough time.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 02:14:41 am
I don't know about anyone else but a decent lead time is important to be able to get off work. I would be up for this given enough time.

Planning for end of July-Beginning of August

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 05:59:23 pm
Sure, why not? Galax is a pretty much straight shot down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is Enfield Heaven. I was planning a nice leisurely burble down 'em anyhow. For those in a bit more of a rush, check out Route 221, which runs more or less parallel to the Parkway heading south from around Lynchburg: Still a hoot--a little more fast paced, but nothing an Enfield couldn't handle. I might head down one and homeward the other.

Can't wait for details...
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 11:05:19 pm
Alright, polish up your shiny bits, change your oil and prepare to blunder on down the road. The date has been date is set for Saturday, August 24th In Galax Virginia. Exact details will be announced this coming up week. This will be an excellent opportunity to not only meet and greet other lovers of the RE, but also make a statement with our fine examples of 500/535 single glory. WHO'S IN?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 07:39:30 pm
It's a bit of a tight fit what with getting my youngest settled in at college the previous week, but August 24th should work. Is there a specific location? I'll likely be bringing a tent, but might wind up in a motel or somewhere with AC, since camping in August in southern Virginia is likely to be like weekending in a Comanche sweat lodge. I'd like to scope out some options.

Thanks for getting this together, Madmann!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 08:30:34 pm
It's a bit of a tight fit what with getting my youngest settled in at college the previous week, but August 24th should work. Is there a specific location? I'll likely be bringing a tent, but might wind up in a motel or somewhere with AC, since camping in August in southern Virginia is likely to be like weekending in a Comanche sweat lodge. I'd like to scope out some options.

Thanks for getting this together, Madmann!

As of right now (Waiting for confirmation of all details) it will be at the Chestnut Creek School Of The Arts Woodworking Studio, as they have the most lot space in the city of Galax. After the get together and demo, a group ride over to the Vintage Car Museum. These are the plans so far. May be subject to change.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:38:36 am by Bmadd34 »

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 07:08:57 pm
Alright, I am very excited to announce the first annual "Royal Ramble" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG12ErKXqP0 Won't you come out to join Fieldy and I? Let's show the community the love of a Royal Enfield.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 12:39:45 pm
For those interested, there are rooms available at the knights inn ($43), the Roadway Inn ($48), Super 8 ($54) and Motel 6 ($55). There is an classic car show on Friday the 23rd (The day before) which I am sure our RE's would mingle in nicely.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 03:45:18 am
A little update to Maddman's lodgings info: While the Knights Inn may be $43 for a single guest some weekdays, weekends it's usually a bit more (like $52 through booking.com). I just called them to update my reservation to add Friday, so I can also catch that Cruisin' & Groovin'  collector cars and music shindig downtown in the evening, and it turns out the Manager, "H" (short for "Hiran"), is from India and a big Royal Enfield fan. He did me both nights for just $48 each (single occupancy), and says he's happy to extend that rate to other Enfield folks, or $52 for double occupancy. Just call Knights Inn direct at (276) 236-5117, ask for "H", and mention this offer.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 11:14:21 am
10 Days and counting.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:33:38 am by Bmadd34 »

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 05:06:48 pm
5 days until the 'Royal Ramble". Who's gonna be Ramblin' on down to Galax?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 02:01:04 am
Weather forecast for the weekend looks OK, for what that's ever worth, so I'll be headed down on my '05 "Military", saddling up from Woodbridge in the DC 'burbs early Friday morning. I'll be picking up Virginia State Route 211, which is a superb little road, just west of Warrenton. It hooks up with Skyline Drive over at Thornton Gap, and then that becomes Blue Ridge Parkway, which is pretty much then a straight shot on down to Galax. If you suddenly find yourself in North Carolina with nothing but "First in Flight" license plates, then you've gone just a little bit too far. For ready reference, I've attached a decent resolution map below of the Parkway north of and the area around Galax to print and/or download to your phone in case that GPS gets all medieval on your ass as you're picking your way through them hollers "down yander" where roads is all "sigogglin."

That whole route south is Purest Enfield Heaven, so if you're just malingering somewhere along the Mid-Atlantic Seaboard and doing nothing in particular this weekend than maybe binge-watching Sons of Anarchy again or re-grouting the tub, you could do worse than to put those off and just thump on down.

If you are coming, shoot me a PM with your phone and email, and I'll reciprocate. That way, you may have someone to contact if you have trouble en route or just want to know where the hell folks are once you're rolling around Galax, since the itinerary's still pretty freeform. I'll be staying at the Knights Inn Friday and Saturday nights. Once again, you can mention "Royal Enfield" there for a discount ($48 single/$52 double).

Hope to see you there!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:20:25 am by Bilgemaster »

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 01:15:29 pm
Yesterdays "Royal Ramble" was an absolute success in my opinion. It Pissed Rain like a MF the whole way there, as well as three hours into it. But you know what? That can't stop the love of the Royal Enfield Community. They STILL SHOWED UP. Even with no personal obligation, they braved the elements to see this thing work. So Bill, Mike and Eric Thelen, you guys are AWESOME and I will never forget the laughs, fun, conversations and food. Another page for the memories and that my friends, IS PRICELESS. Looking forward to next Year!!

DavidGraves

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 05:58:19 pm
Glad you folks made it okay....that was quite a long undertaking and a lovely drive.

I grew up in Virginia and rode the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway on everything from the assorted road bikes down to one of my Vespas.....great experience.

David Graves