Author Topic: Thread drift- what's wrong with it?  (Read 1954 times)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
on: July 10, 2020, 08:03:06 am
There's been some comments on thread drift, and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on this subject. I'm guilty of it because I read/ respond in a conversational style, and incidental references to related subjects lead my down that path. I enjoy reading
all the other posts , and the drifting keeps me interested. I'm not on this forum purely for  technical info, but for the fraternity. And it also serves to help form an idea of a poster's history, predelictions, knowledge , experience etc and hence their credibility. So......

I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 08:17:59 am
"My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles. Then after World War Two, it got kinda quiet, 'til Superman challenged FDR to a race around the world. FDR beat him by a furlong, or so the comic books would have you believe. The truth lies somewhere in between. Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Ah, there's an interesting story behind that nickel. In 1957, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three: medium brown.Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:19:18 am
There's thread drift, where the discussion drifts away from the original theme, and that's okay with me. Like you, for me it adds to the interest. And it's usually not too difficult to bring the thread back to the original topic.

However, there's also deliberate hijacking of a thread, deliberately changing it to something rather different and that's not okay.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 08:36:01 am
"My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles. Then after World War Two, it got kinda quiet, 'til Superman challenged FDR to a race around the world. FDR beat him by a furlong, or so the comic books would have you believe. The truth lies somewhere in between. Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Ah, there's an interesting story behind that nickel. In 1957, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three: medium brown.Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

HAHAHAHA! Brilliant, one of my faves from a fantastic show, and me to a tee.😋

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 01:05:57 pm
There's been some comments on thread drift, and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on this subject. I'm guilty of it because I read/ respond in a conversational style, and incidental references to related subjects lead my down that path. I enjoy reading
all the other posts , and the drifting keeps me interested. I'm not on this forum purely for  technical info, but for the fraternity. And it also serves to help form an idea of a poster's history, predelictions, knowledge , experience etc and hence their credibility. So......
You make a good point. Its a matter of social etiquette to some degree. If somebody starts a thread is about Subject A and someone mentions Subject B as an aside ... that happens. If another, 3rd person, picks up on that aside it is the start of the drift/hijack.

On some forums, that 3rd (or 4th) person will start a new thread to focus and expound on the aside. Then go back to the original thread and announce something to the effect ... "I got thinking about this Subject B stuff and have started a thread over here at (link to that new thread)."

In fact it reminds me of the the time I had to change oil on the Mayflower ... :D
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 01:49:31 pm
Screwed up threads just make it hard if you would like to go back and research a particular topic....

You search "exhaust system" and you get "I live  in Bum-Fuck Iowa" where do you live?

or

"I have a red one, so do you have a red one?, I like the red one. Don't you like the red one?"

Cookie

You make a good point. Its a matter of social etiquette to some degree. If somebody starts a thread is about Subject A and someone mentions Subject B as an aside ... that happens. If another, 3rd person, picks up on that aside it is the start of the drift/hijack.

On some forums, that 3rd (or 4th) person will start a new thread to focus and expound on the aside. Then go back to the original thread and announce something to the effect ... "I got thinking about this Subject B stuff and have started a thread over here at (link to that new thread)."

In fact it reminds me of the the time I had to change oil on the Mayflower ... :D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 02:00:46 pm
Screwed up threads just make it hard if you would like to go back and research a particular topic....

You search "exhaust system" and you get "I live  in Bum-Fuck Iowa" where do you live?

or

"I have a red one, so do you have a red one?, I like the red one. Don't you like the red one?"

Cookie

What oil should I use in my GT?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 03:51:55 pm

Really?! I camped overnight there once when I drove to Denver to pick up a CB750.

What's your thoughts on the mid-seventies Hondas?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 05:55:59 pm

......."and those damn bilge pumps were an SOB, too, weren't they"?  ;) ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 06:03:39 pm

What's your thoughts on the mid-seventies Hondas?

"You meet the niiiicest people on them ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ;) :D :D ".
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bibbage

• Bulleteer
  • England
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 06:28:20 pm
By the way I’ve still not got my pinch bolt out, it’s suffering from thread stick!   :)
Interceptor 650 (Baker Express)
Triumph Speed Twin 5TA (1966)
Honda NC750X

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 06:29:29 pm
Ya just gotta love this forum!  Some really funny, entertaining stuff her.

Cookie

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 09:10:42 pm
I have used taps and dies before but never a thread drift. I'm assuming this is made of soft metal or wood and was used on Whitworth threads in moss covered England. Speaking of moss, who would you rather have dinner with, Sterling Moss or Kate Moss? And what is the value of the pound sterling these days? I was trying to calculate the dollar value of my last Hitchcock's order. Speaking of Hitchcock's, I think I'm a Psycho.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 09:34:07 pm
Ya just gotta love this forum!  Some really funny, entertaining stuff here.

Cookie

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 01:55:25 am
Speaking of moss, who would you rather have dinner with, Sterling Moss or Kate Moss?

Kate Moss, any day. Hang on, I'm thinking of Kate Bush.  Dinner with Kate Bush. Which reminds me,  I need to clean the rabbit hutch out today. Anyone else keep animals at home?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 07:06:02 am
Oh God! I’ve created a Monster!There we go, back to Ducatis again....

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 08:35:27 am
Just reading a book about Ducati, they are nothing like Goldwings, oops gotta go feed the turtle.
2019 Interceptor

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 10:08:38 am
The bevel gear driving the desmo valve gear on the parallel twins was probably the most noticeable feature of the 70's mid range ducati's.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 10:36:48 am
Kate Moss, any day. Hang on, I'm thinking of Kate Bush.  Dinner with Kate Bush. Which reminds me,  I need to clean the rabbit hutch out today. Anyone else keep animals at home?

Now I'm running up that hill with no problems. Think it's down to swapping out the inverted flange washers.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 12:11:57 pm
I’m sorry I spoiled your Black Panther party