Author Topic: Happy Birthday to me... aw shit!  (Read 1354 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: April 08, 2021, 01:13:20 am
Last week I turned 65. In the morning I sold my chrome 500 Classic, so flush with cash I decided to take my really weird bike, a Rokon Ranger, out for a little ride. I only made it a couple of blocks. As I was trundling through the roundabout intersection I noticed a car entering. The mighty Kohler 200cc single was no match for the Chevy. I had about a second to realize that he was not only not slowing but actually accelerating! The it hit me. BANG! The bike went down with me beneath it. The usual post accident confusion ensued. People lifted the bike off of me and even managed to shut off the engine. I got my first ride in an ambulance. Spent a few nights in the hospital while they poked and prodded and tested every part of me. Bumps, bruises, road rash was all to be expected. Two broken ribs and a hole in my lung was a little more disconcerting. Thanks to Covid all the beds were occupied so my entire three days were spent in the ER. The bike suffered a scratch on the luggage rack, road rash on various parts like saddlebags and mirrors. It seems he hit my rear tire in the sidewall (think ATV or quad type tires) and bent the towbar. The bike is rated to tow 2000 pounds. It's closer to a John Deere than a normal motorcycle. In fact there was so little damage the cop rode it home! I still need to have it checked by a qualified bike mechanic.

For a while I thought my tombstone would have the same date for my birth and death! ::) The good news is I'm on the mend, slowly at my age. And the Rokon is still for sale. Only 175 miles on it! ;D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 01:50:00 am
Oh crap! The injuries are unfortunate but it's good that you survived the ordeal. I guess the broken ribs are going to take a while to heal. Take it easy in the meantime. Any clue why the car operator didn't bother to see you?

Oh yer, happy birthday!
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 02:05:35 am
Sorry to hear this, but at least you're still above the grass. In fact if you look at it in the right light you did have a happy birthday considering what might have been. Heal quickly buddy.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 02:11:18 am
Well, that sucks... but you are alive and I hope you have a quick recovery.  Happy to still count you among the living.

Glad you did not lose your sense of humor with all this.

Happy Birthday!!  And Happy Birthday again!  Lot's to celebrate next year  ;)

And that Rokon Ranger is something special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsisDO9IUYs
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 03:01:52 am
sorry to hear but happy you are mostly ok. I hope there is little pain and I hope there is insurance to cover your losses. left turner got me years ago. I lucked out with a good surgeon but my bmw was totaled. it doesn't take much to total a bike. mine had an almost imperceptible tweak in a gusset in the neck.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 03:18:13 am
You are one tough sumbitch, getting used for a skid plate by a Rokon and walking away! Really good to hear you are on the mend and still amongst us. Heal up fast! :)

We sold Rokons in the way-back. They'd go up to a wall, then the front wheel goes straight up climbing until the rear wheel touches the wall and it stands there grinding away!
https://www.rokon.com/product/trail-breaker/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:15:16 am
Ho dear what a bum card, don't get to despondent not the happiest of birthdays for sure.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 10:46:12 am
Shitty way to celebrate a milestone 'Hog. Hope you're back riding soon.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 01:28:34 pm
Blurgh! Happy Birthday, indeed! Just the other day I narrowly escaped another hard-charging somnambulist on a roundabout here too, but that one decided to take it UK-style THE WRONG WAY AROUND! They might have been a good idea with horsedrawn carts, but I couldn't help wondering at the time if maybe they're a bit too much of a conceptual challenge for modern drivers.

Here's hoping you're well on the mend and also that the offending driver's insurance rates skyrocket them right off the roads.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 04:13:50 pm
Best Wishes for a speedy recovery :)
Happy Birthday..... :-\

Chuy
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 04:39:10 pm
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you get healed up and there are no lasting scars on you or your finances.  Three days in the hospital, ouch!  On my only overnight hospital stay in my adult life, I managed to accumulate over $30,000 of costs in 24 hours.

That was pretty swift revenge by your Classic Chrome for selling it.  And, she always was jealous of the attention you gave to that Rokon.  I'm going to put it in writing, that I have NO plans, now or ever, to put out my Royal Enfield, so there's no need to be plotting behind my back with your mechanical brothers.

Liberty Blacksmith

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 05:33:54 pm

Sorry to hear of your birthday accident and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
You were fortunate it wasn't more serious. I hate those roundabouts with a passion.
Take it as a sign you need a new Interceptor.
Don't give up the ship, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead, if I may mix John Paul
Jones with Admiral Farragut.

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 06:19:45 pm
It would seem that roundabout is another word for chicane in some driver's minds.

Hope your broken ribs and lung are repaired under warranty and you are able to heal and get back in the saddle soon.
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 06:47:01 pm
Holly S... ! Glad it's not worse ! Althought I know the pain of broken ribs (experience), forget to laugh or cough and get well soon !
Reading about the fees for three days in the hospital, I realize once again that, on that particular point, how much we are lucky in France where it's free!
But Hoggie, why a Rokon on the streets  ???
Take care and get back soon on 2 wheels !

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 08:48:10 pm
So I suppose this means I still owe you that 10 bucks.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R