Author Topic: Personal message email notifications broken?  (Read 8528 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: July 19, 2019, 11:57:37 am
I know this is an "improvements" section, but it seems to be the go-to for problems...

I used to get email notifications when someone PM'd me, but in recent months they stopped.  Now I have to rely on noticing the little number on the little envelope icon at the top of the page to know when I've gotten a message.  I've unintentionally ignored people for days as a result.  I've checked all my email spam boxes and filters, and there's no evidence of them interfering.

I've double-checked my Personal Messaging settings; "Notify by email every time you receive a personal message" is set to "always," as it has been all along.  I added a check to select the "Show a popup when I receive new messages" option, but I don't know how that behaves exactly - I wonder, if I get a PM while not logged in, will I be notified the next time I log in?

Anyone experience this, or have any suggestions?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 12:22:56 pm
I know this is an "improvements" section, but it seems to be the go-to for problems...

I used to get email notifications when someone PM'd me, but in recent months they stopped.  Now I have to rely on noticing the little number on the little envelope icon at the top of the page to know when I've gotten a message.  I've unintentionally ignored people for days as a result.  I've checked all my email spam boxes and filters, and there's no evidence of them interfering.

I've double-checked my Personal Messaging settings; "Notify by email every time you receive a personal message" is set to "always," as it has been all along.  I added a check to select the "Show a popup when I receive new messages" option, but I don't know how that behaves exactly - I wonder, if I get a PM while not logged in, will I be notified the next time I log in?

Anyone experience this, or have any suggestions?

I long ago stopped being notified of anything.

I'm still looking for DDavidD's address. I don't know if it's floating around somewhere or if he's forgotten about it.

I'll go back in and look for a little envelope.

Overall the forum as a whole is getting pretty boring to me. I guess I'm jus jaded and cynical about everything nowadays.

Guess I'll just go find Noraly's newest video and get my mind right.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 12:25:06 pm
       I long ago stopped being notified of anything.

I'm still looking for DDavidD's address. I don't know if it's floating around somewhere or if he's forgotten about it.

I'll go back in and look for a little envelope.

I've attached a screen shot of the upper corner of my forum window (Apple computer, Firefox browser) - right next to my username and avatar is the little envelope (blue arrow) which, when clicked on, opens a pull-down of recent messages and a "view all" button at the bottom which is self explanatory.  It's this envelope which shows a little red (on my display) indicator when an unread message awaits me.

Overall the forum as a whole is getting pretty boring to me. I guess I'm jus jaded and cynical about everything nowadays.

Guess I'll just go find Noraly's newest video and get my mind right.

At least those notifications are working!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:35:59 pm
I've attached a screen shot of the upper corner of my forum window (Apple computer, Firefox browser) - right next to my username and avatar is the little envelope (blue arrow) which, when clicked on, opens a pull-down of recent messages and a "view all" button at the bottom which is self explanatory.  It's this envelope which shows a little red (on my display) indicator when an unread message awaits me.

At least those notifications are working!

I just read this at 10:00. Thank you.

I found it myself yesterday just by accident. Oh, I say. Wot's that? Let us click upon it. Aha! All is revealed.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 06:11:50 pm
        I just read this at 10:00. Thank you.

I found it myself yesterday just by accident. Oh, I say. Wot's that? Let us click upon it. Aha! All is revealed.

You're welcome!  Glad you found it, as I did.  Maybe someone else reading this will benefit...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 02:58:40 pm
You're welcome!  Glad you found it, as I did.  Maybe someone else reading this will benefit...

I don't know about you or anybody else, but I'm getting really really bored with going in (after Logging in AGAIN) and trying to remember if I've already read somebody's post that is labelled TODAY or not. And then (of course) going in and finding that, yes, I already read that!

And I'm not notified any more about PMs so I have to go in again and Log In again to see if there's an answer. Plus for weeks and weeks I wasn't aware (Duh!) of the little envelope up in the corner. I yusta know right away if there was an answer.

The whole AVL thing anyway is pretty much dead in the water and boring. So why do I bother with any of this any more?

Plus we maybe should have a forum for dinosaurs. I don't get the new language of the new "biker" and that's been true since the mid-'70s when I lost all respect for the HD Motor Company although I loved the bikes (never bought a new one). They used all our ideas to design the "new" "factory customs" and then they threw us all under the bus after the FX came out and then started destroying hundreds of small independent bike shops with lawyers. I thoroughly  HATE the Harley Davidson Motor Company.

I stopped going to hd dealerships after the EVO. EVERYTHING including all the massively overpriced clothes and everything in the "store" and most of the bike except the frame, engine and tranny was Made in CHINA or Taiwan. All the after market goodies hanging all over the walls was Made in China including the new HD Mousse to keep your hair "just right". And temporary tattoos.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 03:36:38 pm by tooseevee »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 08:32:51 pm
Speaking of the Motor Company, they were up at Alice's Restaurant today giving test rides to anyone who happened to notice that they were actually there.  (I did, just barely, though.)  Photos attached.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 07:32:07 pm
FYI... I recently received a couple of PMs, and did get emailed notifications of them...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 08:25:51 pm
FYI... I recently received a couple of PMs, and did get emailed notifications of them...

Me too.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1