Author Topic: No Trip Odometer  (Read 2879 times)

Barnone

• Scooter
on: March 25, 2019, 04:00:07 pm
I need a gizmo to record the odometer miles on my last gasoline fill up on my C5. Don't wanna depend on the low fuel warning light.
This is my feeble solution.
Erasable marker on speedometer.

Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

tjupille

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:11:00 pm
I've gotten in the habit of just filling up every 100 miles.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:32:05 pm
I fill up every 200 miles (200/400/600, etc.), which is typically about 40 miles after the low fuel light comes on. I usually put in around 3 gallons of fuel at that time.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:24:19 am
I just use the SimplyAuto app on my phone to record each fillup and also for maintenance.  Helps one remember how many miles since the last oil change, etc besides being able to refresh memory as to when it was I last filled up. 
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 01:40:34 am
You could always fork out a few hundred bucks for a restored Smiths Chronometric with a trip meter.  Make sure its calibrated for the correct size front tyre though :D

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 03:36:30 am
For $379.50 you can have this new "Chronometric" speedometer made by craftsmen in Wales: https://smithsgaugesusa.com/chronometric.

Being electronic you can calibrate it for tire size.  You switch between odometer and trip meter modes via an external toggle switch.

For half that price, Speedhut will build a very nice speedometer customized (click the Customize Now button for an awesome list of choices) to your specifications: https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Speedometers/3-3-8-inch/80-MPH/?catid=f232|f8|f254|f144|f40
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:20:00 am
Sigma Bicycle unit works nicely--I have had one on two bikes - Sigma is the only bicycle speedo that will attain 100 mph - Not only speed, but trip distance and other features plus a clock - Find them on Amazon for about $26,00 bucks - You may have to make an indicator off of one of your spokes - This is a wired unit that requires measurement of the front wheel to be accurate. The unit is very small and attaches to the handlebar with tape and rubber bands.  It is easy to read --Good Luck

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 11:40:40 am
Sigma Bicycle unit works nicely--I have had one on two bikes - Sigma is the only bicycle speedo that will attain 100 mph - Not only speed, but trip distance and other features plus a clock - Find them on Amazon for about $26,00 bucks - You may have to make an indicator off of one of your spokes - This is a wired unit that requires measurement of the front wheel to be accurate. The unit is very small and attaches to the handlebar with tape and rubber bands.  It is easy to read --Good Luck

Ditto on the little Sigma unit. They are excellent. I put one on my last built-from-scratch harley because the cable speedo ('77 FX) would "wave" at 60 and it drove me nuts.

They are very easy to hook up and very accurate. You calibrate them according to wheel circumference down to the inch. I measured 3 wheel rotations with my weight on the bike then divided by 3 to set mine.

I ordered one just a few weeks ago to put on the Enfield  when it warms up because I don't believe 60 on the speedo is anywhere near 60.  The Sigma measures everything a person could  possibly need or want to know.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Barnone

• Scooter
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 11:04:29 pm
This thread reminds me of a story I came across doing some WWII Russian Front historical research a few years back.

The state of manufacturing in the wartime Soviet Union was erratic to say the least. There are many examples of world class engineering and design that simply could not make the transition to a successful serial production product due to supply and manufacture issues.

One example of this was a fairly clever design for early Yak fighter wing tank fuel gauges fitted into the filler caps on the wings that due to poor manufacture often failed to work.  Despite being warned about the possibilities of failure, pilots consistently relied on them and ran out of fuel. The (very Russian) solution applied by most Squadron commanders was to simply paint over them forcing pilots to revert to using a dipstick when filling up and calculating the fuel left based on range.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 12:05:37 am
Personally, I like the idea of using a felt tip pen to mark the mileage when I fill up my tank.

I don't use an "Easy Erase" pen because it's to easy to accidentally erase it so I use a "Permanent Sharpie" and jot the mileage down on the chrome handle bar.
Although it is supposed to be permanent, a good hard rub with a wet finger removes it rather easily.

I've been using this method for 8 years on my 2011 G5 and it hasn't failed me yet. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 10:46:46 am
Personally, I like the idea of using a felt tip pen to mark the mileage when I fill up my tank.

I don't use an "Easy Erase" pen because it's to easy to accidentally erase it so I use a "Permanent Sharpie" and jot the mileage down on the chrome handle bar.
Although it is supposed to be permanent, a good hard rub with a wet finger removes it rather easily.

I've been using this method for 8 years on my 2011 G5 and it hasn't failed me yet. :)

Fits easily into just about any pocket: