Author Topic: Simply...tell me why I should purchase a Himalayan (or Interceptor)  (Read 5101 times)

NL7U

• Scooter
Age 76, but still riding.  Price not a problem 8).  Have Vstrom right now, but concerned that I will not be able to pick it up if it flops.  Tell me good and bad, as well.  Thanks.

Larry in Florida
Old, but not dead yet...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Unless you plan on hardscrabbling it down to Belize on roads that are pretty much only "notional", the Interceptor 650 might be the choice for you. It's a gentleman's bike for a working man's price.

If money's really no object, go ahead and buy me one too. I like the Chrome or Silver Spectre, but I'll be happy with whatever you send.

Oh, and welcome aboard!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

NL7U

• Scooter
Uh, let me get back to you on your request...... :P
Old, but not dead yet...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Uh, let me get back to you on your request...... :P

Righto. I'll start clearing a spot in the garage. In the meantime, you might enjoy this in depth review of the 650 by a YouTuber named Stuart Fillingham: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, Longterm report, why aren't Triumphs made this way?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Interceptor is a well built, fun, comfortable bike.....reliability has been good and handling at slow and high speeds is excellent.  Looks great, and you will have a permanent smile on your face while riding a RE  :)

The Himalayan is a different animal...less power, good handling and reliability...not a high speed bike but some are riding it on transcontinental trips!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 04:41:10 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
If your intended use involves more than a little offroad travel, the Himalayan offers a substantial bash plate,  8.6" of ground clearance and 7" plus of suspension travel.  There are a variety of "adventure" type accessories like pannier mounts, extra fuel can mounts and so on.  The machine at 421 lbs is relatively heavy for an offroad machine and has a moderately ( for offroad) saddle height of 31 inches.  It's got an overhead cam 411cc single that puts out less than 25 hp, and a 4 gallon fuel tank.  With it's tallish bars, low CG, and lighter weight, it would probably be noticeably easier to lift if dropped.  It's sturdy, narrow build also means you can drop it quite a bit without doing a lot of damage.  This young lady can tell you a bit about this feature:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWDwON-78o

If your intended use is strictly street and highway use, the Interceptor is better equipped for that role, with its
~42hp, 650cc OHC, twin cylinder engine.  With only 6.8" of ground clearance, and around 4" of suspension travel, it's not well suited for offroad duties, and there's not a lot of accessories being offered.  The large, upswept mufflers make mounting panniers a challenge.  The interceptor weighs 471lbs  (wet) and has a 3.6 gallon fuel tank.  Seat height is 31.6"   This is only about 20 lbs lighter than your VStrom.  I'd be surprised if the Interceptor dead lifted substantially differently.

One thing that I personally think helps quite a bit in getting a fallen bike up is the presence of an engine guard / crash bar.  Although it adds some weight, this is carried down low.  The guard brings a few benefits.  It prevents the bike from crushing a leg that might end up under the bike, can mean that your lowside hip doesn't contact the ground at as high a velocity, and keeps the bike at a more easily recoverable angle when it is down.  It also preserves the essential and expensive bits from being trashed and disfigured.  Most folks focus on this last bit of functionality, but I suggest that to older guys like us, the safety aspects are more important.

NL7U

• Scooter
Thanks for you folks who answered my query.  Surprisingly, no one mentioned the very small price difference between the Hima and the Interceptor (only certain paint jobs).  I am aware of the power differences, etc, and I am genuinely seeking out the highs and lows of each of the models.  This bike will be 90% an around town bike for me. I have exhausted almost all the Youtubes about each model looking for more than the obvious.  I think that the gal "Itchy Boots" on Youtube is pushing me towards the Himalayan.  But on the other hand, I surely love that retro look of the Interceptor.  I will get back to you about which, if any, of the RE models I choose.  Lastly, I hate paying super high dealer fees for any new bike, but that is another story.
Old, but not dead yet...

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
NL7U, I will chime in because I also have a V Strom, a 2014 ABS adventure model I picked up brand new last summer. I also have a Classic 500 Chrome. The Strom is an excellent motorcycle though with some obvious flaws, like the gear spacing being way too tight. But the biggest issue is the total lack of character, at least that is my view after riding the 500 for 2 years. A Royal Enfield will literally put a smile on your face when you ride. I find myself grinning frequently. My advice to you is to get EITHER of them of BOTH! I am also in the market for one of the 650's, probably if I keep the Strom then I will go for a Continental GT, but not sure. If I can find a 2019 or later used Himalayan for $3k I would probably grab that and sell the Strom and then get a 650 as well. If you feel the need for more HP with the Himi Hitchcocks does make a kit that brings it to 462cc (I think) and a substantial power increase. Good luck!
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Since I already have 4 bikes and I live on Social Security I have resisted the temptation to buy a Himalayan but I love Noraly's videos. Then yesterday I binge watched a bunch of reviews of the Rokon 2 wheel drive bike. I remember them from the ads in the back of Popular Mechanics from 50 years ago. I was shocked to find they are still making them. Sure it is a ridiculous toy but I live on the edge of Lake Mead National Park. I got my 2WD Ural stuck out there a few times. This looked like even more fun! Top speed of 35 mph ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
We've been narrowing our focus down to those two most recent RE models, but as a happy owner of one I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that a Bullet can be fun too. They're pretty light and "flickable," with an engine guard like my "Military" model has a good-sized toddler could probably right a tipped one, and those big singles have an undeniable character all their own chuffing down the road...kind of like your Grandaddy's old bike when he was a badass youngster, and rather explains why motorcycles became popular in the first place. They won't break any speed records (actually, they have and do: in 2014 a souped-up Royal Enfield Continental GT 500 single set a new Land Speed record in the 500MPPS [Modified Pushrod Partially Streamlined] category), but if you're content largely thumping along on a more-or-less stock one in the 50s or 60s they're magic, and 2020 is very likely the last year you'll find new ones in US showrooms, owing to ever-tightening emissions regulations. But then older used ones can be a very viable option, especially compared to other brands. Many Bullets are owned as 2nd or 3rd bikes, for those occasional Sunday pleasure rides. Few see hard daily driver duty on our shores for commuting and such, though some do. But basically such typically infrequent use explains why so many used ones with astonishingly low mileages can be found out there. When I got mine a about 2½ years ago it was 12 years old and had only about 4,200 miles on the clock. I've added about 10K since then. Indeed, most Bullets seem to be only occasionally wheeled out of the garage on sunny weekends for a quick mental health snort and then laid back to rest--basically they're often the 2-wheeled equivalent of that car "owned by an old lady who only ever drove it to church". Principally the mechanical issues one hears of on these Forums have to do with resurrecting those who've simply slumbered far too long...cloggy carbs, weak batteries, stiff cables and the like...especially the older original model "Iron Cylinder Engine" ones like mine. Many just need fresh fluids and the cobwebs blown out of them. Some, like mine, may have fairly minor issues that the previous owner just couldn't or wouldn't deal with. Of course, it's all "caveat emptor" (= "Let the buyer beware"), and a good mauling by the dreaded "Previous Owner" can lead to all sorts of fun and games undoing sub-moronic "quick fixes" or hamfisted modifications.

For the benefit of those unfamiliar with the Bullet breed, basically here in the States, apart from the odd vintage British model (or one at least purporting  to be so), you're likely to find one of three basic flavors of Indian-made Bullets: the original Iron Cylinder Engine "pre-unit" ones with the separate gear box and primary drive unit (imported from the '90s until about 2008), also sometimes referred to as "Oil Lamps" or "Iron Bellies", the short-lived Austrian-designed AVL engine ones (2008-2009 or so), and thereafter the Unit Construction Engine (UCE) ones, of which one finds both the Bullet and the sportier cafe racer style "Continental" models with larger 535cc engines. Each type has its own virtues and shortcomings. The "Iron Bellies", with an unbroken and basically unchanged production run just for India of over 50 years, are what many consider "Real Bullets". Some models imported into the States during the last few years of the run had a super-flakey poorly designed electric start bolted on as a sort of half-ass afterthought, which is prone...that is, virtually certain...to fail. Then again, those latter-day models usually (though not always) also feature a 5-speed gearbox, instead of the old Albion 4-speed unit, which can improve overall rideability, both because of the improved gear spacing between 3rd and top, and also because the 5-speed dispenses with the cockamamie left-hand shifter undercarriage "reach around" rigamarole required for their importation into the States, which can be prone to "slop" when worn or poorly adjusted. Then again, I gather that for many riders the resulting idiosyncratic gear shifting might be considered just another quirky characteristic of their particular bike that makes them sort of challenging and maybe a little more "equestrian" and enjoyable to ride...like the whole peculiar kick-starting routine. All oldster Bullets are just a bit different, but this also makes them kind of worth the trouble.

The AVL model ones (2009ish) saw a very short production run, especially for export models. They featured a sort of short-term stopgap leanburn engine designed for Enfield by an Austrian firm called "Anstalt für Verbrennungskraftmaschinen List" in order to meet stiffening emissions requirements. They are very similar to the older model in many respects. Frankly, I've always thought they might be the prettiest engine of the three types exported to the States. But, as with other things in life, those good looks come at a cost. Owing to its very short production run, parts can be harder to come by, and certain aspects of the engine can be far more fragile that its predecessor model. I would personally advise that only someone with superb wrenching AND at least some machinist chops, or willing to learn same, should probably buy an old AVL.

That brings us to the UCE engined ones from about 2010 on. While I personally think the "Iron Bellies" are far prettier, I don't share the disdain for the new model ones held by some owners of the more traditional Bullet, who once nicknamed the new UCEs "stomach pumps." They undoubtedly have their own virtues while offering a very comparable old school look and riding experience. They also have some desirable modern fripperies like electronic fuel injection, disk brakes, a starter that won't explode...that sort of thing. Of course, new ain't always improved, in some cases. Those electro-snoodles CAN go bad, and when they do all that diagnostic talk of "ohmage" and whatnot on these Forums just gives an oldster like me a case of the vapors. But then, you could always bolt an Amal carb kit from our host Hitchcocks on there, and be done with all that. Gravity always seems to work.

If you're interested in keeping a weather eye on the market for used Enfields of all types available out there for adoption, then check out David Blasco's superb Royal Enfields Blog at https://www.royalenfields.com/?m=0

If you might be interested in getting as near an ideal "Military Green" late model UCE Bullet with all the performance and comfort trimmings already installed on a pretty fresh engine, then you might do well indeed to reach out to our Forum's Brad the Maddman just up 95 from you in North Carolina. That'd be a smart buy for some lucky new owner, already tweaked and dialed in as it is by a guy who really knows what he's doing. I think he may still be asking 4 Grand for her, but only through this Forum so far. I don't think it's been advertised elsewhere on Craigslist, eBay, etc. just yet. More details in this thread: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=27961.0

Anyhow, happy hunting! Do let us know what you end up with.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:40:23 am by Bilgemaster »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Since I already have 4 bikes and I live on Social Security I have resisted the temptation to buy a Himalayan but I love Noraly's videos. Then yesterday I binge watched a bunch of reviews of the Rokon 2 wheel drive bike. I remember them from the ads in the back of Popular Mechanics from 50 years ago. I was shocked to find they are still making them. Sure it is a ridiculous toy but I live on the edge of Lake Mead National Park. I got my 2WD Ural stuck out there a few times. This looked like even more fun! Top speed of 35 mph ;D

My neighbor has a Rokon, and it is indeed "The Shit" (i.e., "The Dog's Balls" for you Britnoid types), answering as it does the question, "What if an Iron Barrelled Bullet is just too fast for me?"

Still, if you like riding the muck in your Wellies (i.e. those are "rubber galoshes" to you Colonials) all geared up like Mr. Gumby, then you absolutely MUST have one...

Mr. Gumby prepares to ride!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:54:56 pm by Bilgemaster »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
We've been narrowing our focus down to those two most recent RE models, but as a happy owner of one I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that a Bullet can be fun too.
For around town, I'd also choose the one of the 500 singles over either the Himalayan or the Interceptor, and here's why:
- A ton of spare parts readily available, super cheap on Ebay and/or amazon
-  Lots of RE and even more aftermarket add-ons like racks, guards and panniers
-  Much more readily available on 2nd hand market and low priced.  I got my 2012 C5 with less than 1700 miles for $2800.  Even better deals can be had.  Both Himalayan and Interceptor are basically too new to be reliably found on resale market.
-   Tons of retro appeal, far more to my eye than either Himalayan or Interceptor.
-   Plenty of torque and go-go, up to about 65mph, after that a bit sluggish.
-  Better fuel economy than Interceptor and about equal to Himalayan, but since all three are better than 60mpg, probably not a big factor for americans.
-  I like low revving, torquey, long stroke pushrod engines.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
"Axman88's" point is well taken about deals to be had out there,  and what is more, I further fully expect that in the wake of this whole Wuhan Flu mess, used motorcycle values will head straight down the shitter in the short term as crowds of folks commence prioritizing and shedding themselves of their expendable "toys" to try to make the nut for just getting by.

According to a good friend of mine I spoke with yesterday, who follows such things as overall investment indicators, values at used car auctions, even the big online "commoditized" ones for like used rental cars, have already plummeted. Not a surprise, but deserted showrooms and fire sale prices for new and new old stock vehicles cannot be far behind. Despite the typical headwinds of "seasonality," whereby the worst time for anywhere with any kind of proper winter to buy a motorcycle or anything else "summery" is in Spring or Summer, when this whole stay-in-your-foxhole thing lifts, expect to find some killer deals out there once folks start getting doodlysquat response to their ads with Kelley's Blue Bookish asking prices. "Lowball, and then lowball that like a drooling time waster" should be the buyer's motto now. My hunch is that by winter craigslist'll be chock full of $2,000 or even $1,000 obo later model lowish mileage Harleys, Gold Wings and R1200 Beemers, let alone old Royal Enfields. Though I've got dibs on that 650 Interceptor in suburban VA with just 306 miles on it asking for sofa cushion change, OK?

Kinda hope I'm wrong, but the dapper fellow on this tightly-zippered cash bag tells me I'm probably not...

That's not some rattly old flivver, folks. That's a 1928 Chrysler Imperial “75” Luxury Roadster going there for a C-Note.
The year before The Crash it had cost $1,555 ($23,472 in 2020 dollars)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:35:39 pm by Bilgemaster »

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
My neighbor has a Rokon, and it is indeed "The Shit" (i.e., "The Dog's Balls" for you Britnoid types), answering as it does the question, "What if an Iron Barrelled Bullet is just too fast for me?"

Still, if you like riding the muck in your Wellies (i.e. those are "rubber galoshes" to you Colonials) all geared up like Mr. Gumby, then you absolutely MUST have one...

Mr. Gumby prepares to ride!

OMG! Bilgemaster, I have to meet you someday! Anyone who posts a Gumby Gif gets an in person hand shake! As for the Rokon, I rode one back in 1970, and while I think they are really cool, they are really crap to ride. Those big fat tires don't want to steer like you are used to. But to each their own. BTW, I used to wear real English Wellies...........my Dad had em shipped over for me when I was in my teens.........for riding trias on my Honda 4 stroke trials bikes. I still have them. The guys on their 2 strokes would laugh at me and one told me they thought I was a "turkey" when I showed up. But as he then admitted "you kicked our butts!". I usually won. I just remembered I still  have a Gumby hat that I made in high school......Maybe I should wear it with my Wellies!
9fingers

Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Just as a quick followup to my recent forecast of vehicular sales doom, I give you the Bloomberg article, "Fear of an Impending Car-Price Collapse Grips Auto Industry"  that just popped up in my news feed.

When extinction looms there's always complimentary air fresheners...