Author Topic: My Mods Thread - 2021 Royal Enfield Continental GT  (Read 80402 times)

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
on: January 11, 2021, 03:12:50 pm
Well... I figured I would start my build thread. I was going to wait until August to get the bike but made the mistake to stop by the dealer to look at it first... then did a test ride while I was there... and ended up buying it that same week.

Motorcycle:
2021 Royal Enfield Continental GT Mister Clean - Purchased December 31st, 2020

Taking it home... I was by myself so I had to use the trailer... may she never have to be on a trailer again  ;D

Accessories: - I want to thank a member of another forum for calling out buying parts directly from India... with what I was going to spend in just a few accessories at the local dealer, I was able to buy all the accessories that I wanted, and more  ;D .  Dealer did not stock any accessories... not even t-shirts or caps... figured that if I had to wait, might as well order from overseas...

All these arrived rather quickly and, as of last night, are all installed.

Single Seat Rider - 1770009/B
Single Seat Cowl, Black Magic - KXH0011/A
Tall Flyscreen Kit - 1710010/B
Bar End Mirror Kit - 1720005/A
Machined Swingarm Bobbin Kit - 1760109/C
Machined Front Reservoir Cap Black - 1720032/E
Center Stand Kit (this is the one from the INT650, apparently it is a direct fit as well for the GT)
Aluminum Sump Guard - 1760111/B
Machined Oil Filler Cap Silver - 1740014/E
Air Filter Element
5 - Royal Enfield Oil Filters - I like to do frequent oil changes, figured I would get a few while I was at it...

Non-factory Modifications Done:

LED headlight bulb replacement - went with this one: DZG H4 Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb )
Installed XPEL clear protective film on headlight and in the back of the tank where a belt or the zipper from the jacket might touch.
Replaced all factory Relays with better quality units.  Great feedback on this from this forum.  Ordered the Panasonic units from here: [urlhttps://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/CM1-R-12V/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadujEram%2Fho%252BVbU48SVTpxdPO4Yf%2FLpi%252BWh4%3D]Mouser Electronics[/url]
Remove rear grab bar/handle... that was easy
Installed Grip Puppy Comfort Grips. Not fancy but very comfortable.
Remove rear passenger foot pegs. My wife prefers to ride her own bike as she does not trust her life riding as a passenger with me. So no need for those
Remove rear mud guard
Installed a modified Triumph phone holder on unused (after installing bar-end mounted mirrors) the left mirror mounting hole
Installed an analog clock on the unused right mirror mounting hole
Install rubber plugs on rear fender
Install black tag frame
Paint rear taillight housing black - hated that the silver color did not match the fender... and since I will be going with a black fender (or no fender) I rather see it black than mismatched...
Replaced Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir with a Triumph Speed Triple black anodized reservoir...
Saddles bags - I had some SW-Motech Blaze saddlebags with brackets from my Triumph. I thought it would be nice to be able to use those again.

A photo of those when I had the Thruxton...

First try was to just throw them over... Initially, they seemed to work fine, but after a 260 miles trip, I could tell they were getting warm from being too close to the pipes. 

So I modified them to allow them to move forward and away from the pipes... simple hole made for the seat pin to go through.  And now they sit higher.

Non-factory Modifications Pending:

Motogadget m-Blaze Disc Bar End LED Turn Signals - Ordered
Install short levers - Ordered
MK Designs Shorty Tail Kit - Ordered - Still not sure, but I might want to clean up the rear with this kit.  But I wanted to have it just in case I decided to go forward with this mod... I will use the bike as is for now before deciding.  My concern is that if I use the bike for short trips (like to Key West, FL or Tail of the Dragon - trips that I do every year), I might want to keep the stock setup to swap seats and take an additional bag with me...  For longer trips, I take the adventure bike... longer range and can swallow a lot more luggage...

Modification Wishlist:

Front suspension - initially I was thinking about going with the OHLINS Caps Kit + Fork Springs - but based on feedback, decided that if I change the front setup, it will be for a Andreani Fork Cartridge kit  ... So far (only 260 miles as of this update) stock suspension feels fine for my riding style).
Front Fairing - I loved the looks of my Triumph Thruxton R with the fairing (regret trading that in for an adventure bike)... and on that bike I did not have to lower the bars for the install. 

All the solutions that I am finding for a fairing on the GT requires that the bars be lowered.  I can't compromise comfort for style... So as much as I like the looks of these, until a solution is available that avoids moving the bars, I am SOL on this mod...   Initially I was looking at the solution from Autologue Design.  But after a few email exchanges, they confirmed that there was no available option from them that will leave the bars in stock position.
Exahust - I like the looks of the stock exhaust... so no plans on changing it... But if I ever do, I like the chrome and black combination of the Scorpion Red Power exhaust. 60% weight reduction from the stock mufflers is also a plus...

Photos of how the bike looks today with all the mods done so far...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:40:38 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 03:22:31 pm
A few more photos of the mods...

XPEL Clear film on headlight and tank - photos where when initially installed and they show some cloudiness... that should go away in a few weeks.  I had some left over material and cut these to shape...

I did trimmed the bottom of the film protector that you see sticking out on the tank... noticed that after taking the photo :)

LED headlight bulb replacement installed (went with this one: DZG H4 Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb )

Before

After

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:26:49 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 03:38:30 pm
Some comments on the install of the sump plate/guard...

The instructions, and this video, tells you that you have to remove the exhaust... Not really needed.  You can undo the bolts and leave them in place, removing the holding nuts and bracket from the inside.  That is what I did... Worked like a charm...

I am going to modify the front bracket... This was an oversight from RE... I do not mind removing the sump plate/guard... but I am not going to be removing the front bracket every time I have to do an oil change...

Easy modification, just need to grind some material away to clear the filter when removing...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:47:16 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 03:46:13 pm
The only accessory that I found that requires to loosen the right exhaust was the install of the center stand... There was really no way to insert the pin....

But again, loosen, not removed.  Removed the two rear bolts, loosen the nuts on the head... and that was enough to get the exhaust out of the way for the pin to go in.  Greased the pin so it is all nice a protected.

Pulling one spring was easy... the second one? Man... Could not do that one by myself.  Got some help and using a leather strap, while the other person pulled the spring back, I pushed it in place.

All installed and working great.

Ride safe!
Wachuko

Bibbage

• Bulleteer
  • England
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 04:18:36 pm
Thanks for you detailed post, I also fitted the sump guard without removing the exhaust and modified the bracket so that I can fit my filter socket.  Good job!
Interceptor 650 (Baker Express)
Triumph Speed Twin 5TA (1966)
Honda NC750X

eddiesgirl

• The only girl here.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Ventura, CA
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 04:37:50 pm
Holy crap! That looks amazing! All the boys here know about the mod stuff and intricacies but I'll just add that's one helluva sexy bike.
2020 INT 650 Silver Spectre

Ventura, CA, USA

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 05:15:52 pm
Thanks for you detailed post, I also fitted the sump guard without removing the exhaust and modified the bracket so that I can fit my filter socket. 

Good job!

Excellent!!  Great to see another owner that has done the same.  Confirms that it will work, wohooo!  Will get it done tonight after work.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 05:17:58 pm
Holy crap! That looks amazing! All the boys here know about the mod stuff and intricacies but I'll just add that's one helluva sexy bike.

Thank you for those words.  And yes, it was the sexy looks that just made me get it the day after seeing her and going on a test ride...  I just could not wait.  :D 8)
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 05:34:09 pm
A few more photos to keep it all in one thread:

Based on a thread here (Good Source For Relays, Terminals And All That), replaced all the fuses.

Talk about the amount of grease the put on them!!  :o

Installed!  I do not know what was the purpose of the white dots on the relays, but I replicated those in the new ones  :D

Old one saved in the box with the rest of the spares.  I will place a few in the tool bag...

And I just could not resist getting this...  8)

Also got one of those inexpensive analog clocks... made a mount for it to place it on the empty right side mounting mirror hole...

I would have preferred white numbers, for better visibility.  I will what else is available... maybe the same one is available with white numbers, I just bought the first one I saw in black.  I know, I know... not really needed... just a cool touch, imho.

Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 05:41:52 pm
And the thread made as I prepared for mounting bar-end turn signals...

I expect those to arrive tomorrow.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 07:05:23 pm
Congrats on the new bike and thanks for sharing your mods. ;D

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 07:42:22 pm
Congrats on the new bike and thanks for sharing your mods. ;D

Thank you!

On other news, finished modifying the bracket for the sump plate/guard.  Now, this is how it should have been made from Royal Enfield... so that you can service the bike without having to touch the bracket...

Just waiting for the paint to dry before installing back.

Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 10:02:16 pm
Done!

Ride safe!
Wachuko

Bibbage

• Bulleteer
  • England
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 12:09:06 pm
Nice work!  A bit smarter than mine.  👍
Interceptor 650 (Baker Express)
Triumph Speed Twin 5TA (1966)
Honda NC750X

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 03:29:55 pm
Nice work!  A bit smarter than mine.  👍

Easy to do after seeing yours.  So credit to you for sharing how you did it.  I just took what you did and tried to make the modification removing the least amount of metal to make it work.  It was easy to do using a standing grinding wheel.

Ride safe!
Wachuko