Author Topic: First service - dealer cost?  (Read 14243 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 14, 2019, 11:41:16 pm
yeah, there's that little pesky "catching on fire" problem.  What could possibly go wrong?

A guy in our model airplane club burned down his garage...oh, and his house, which was connected to the garage, while charging LiPo's on an electric model plane!

Another friend has a full-size-you-fly-in-it self launching electric powered sailplane.  He sold it when that version  had a rash of in-flight fires.

Another buddy of mine bough a Zero, FX (I think)...it comes standard with one battery pack....the optional second pack for extended range is like $3000...so instead of that , he bought another entire Zero motorcycle "for his wife"...so when his wife is not riding...he takes her battery, and his...for extended range!

Cookie

Cookie

It should be no big surprise that Zero blamed the battery manufacturer, EIG, for the fires, while EIG blamed Zero for not waterproofing the batteries sufficiently.  I don't know how that blame-game worked out in the end.  Fortunately, fires no longer seem to be a problem now. But there are random other issues that pop up now and then.

I can hardly wait until Royal Enfield introduces an electric motorcycle into the consumer market.  Just think of the possibilities for problems caused by factory assembly and low-bidder component failures.   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Kay.dragon

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 06:33:48 pm
Let’s get back on topic... price paid at dealer for first maintenance. (300 Miles/500km)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 08:31:03 pm
Let’s get back on topic... price paid at dealer for first maintenance. (300 Miles/500km)

After four hours of doing nothing my dealer confessed that they didn't even have an oil filter in stock. This was two weeks after I bought the bike from them. So I ordered a filter online and did the service myself. Cost was oil and filter.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 24, 2020, 04:46:26 am
yep! I did mine too. if I have problems then I guess some-one will buy a cheap bike....lol

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #34 on: February 24, 2020, 05:48:25 pm
I took to the dealer for the first service (I was the OP on this post). They did all the recommended services including valve inspection and it took about 4 hours. I took my own oil (Silkolene) and filter (which I got from a member here, Mahle filter). Price was in line with expectations and I have no regrets. No time or interest in wrenching on it myself, and the dealer is not a rip-off place. So all works out. Everyone does it differently and that's what makes the world go round.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

davepowell

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 07:15:58 pm
On my third attempt to reinstall the valve cover I used J-B Weld Ultimate Black RTV sealant to attach the gasket to the valve cover. I Let it cure overnight and then reinstalled the cover successfully. I lack the required digital and mental dexterity for this job. I had to remove both horns before I could slide the cover in place. Thankfully I won’t have to do this again for a while.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 10:16:28 pm
I took to the dealer for the first service (I was the OP on this post). They did all the recommended services including valve inspection and it took about 4 hours. I took my own oil (Silkolene) and filter (which I got from a member here, Mahle filter). Price was in line with expectations and I have no regrets. No time or interest in wrenching on it myself, and the dealer is not a rip-off place. So all works out. Everyone does it differently and that's what makes the world go round.

Four hours? That seems like a lot of time to me. I recently had a major service performed on my BMW R1200RS by the San Francisco BMW dealer and they had the job done in three hours, including a valve lash check.  I wonder how long it took Wildbill to perform his first service?

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 12:39:48 am
Sooooooooooo......that cost was?

Cookie

quote author=mwmosser link=topic=27722.msg320949#msg320949 date=1582566505]
[/quote]

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 01:51:05 am
On my third attempt to reinstall the valve cover I used J-B Weld Ultimate Black RTV sealant to attach the gasket to the valve cover. I Let it cure overnight and then reinstalled the cover successfully. I lack the required digital and mental dexterity for this job. I had to remove both horns before I could slide the cover in place. Thankfully I won’t have to do this again for a while.

3M spray adhesive worked great for me. The cover has been off three times and the gasket still looks new.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 02:06:50 am
I suppose it would have taken me roughly 3 hours in total but I also ran that video camera too ;D getting that gasket back on was also a challenge for me and in the end I just used thick grease to hold it in place.
I think it took roughly 3 attempts and a lot of frustration.
more importantly after 5000 kl it worked and runs fine so I suppose it was worth the effort there.

Kay.dragon

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: February 27, 2020, 06:39:49 am
360 dollars

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: February 27, 2020, 08:50:09 am
OK....in today's world...not so bad...

Cookie

360 dollars

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: February 27, 2020, 02:10:53 pm
OK....in today's world...not so bad...

Cookie

True, the three-hour servicing for my BMW set me back $750 USD.  About half of that cost was labor, half parts and you can add another 10% for sales tax on the parts.  Motorcycle dealership labor rates in the San Francisco Bay Area are around the $130-$150 an hour range.  Car dealers tend to charge more, depending upon the brand.   :(

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #43 on: February 27, 2020, 03:05:23 pm
$349 here but I brought my own oil and filter which I purchased separately. $400 all totaled up.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
Reply #44 on: February 27, 2020, 07:17:01 pm
Getting ready to take my INT 650 in for its first service. Anyone had this done at a dealer yet? If so, did yours take the engine apart to adjust the valves, or did they just do an oil change? Were costs in line with what you expected?

The first service on my Interceptor included oil and oil filter change, adjusting the tappets, and a general check according to the RE service specifications. The dealership also did hand me a work slip, basically a printout of the RE service instructions, as a confirmation that the bike is compliant to the RE specification in every detail. The cost was significantly lower than I expected, I payed 235,-€, which includes all work, materials and 19% tax.