Author Topic: O2 sensor disconnecting  (Read 3591 times)

Dez

• Scooter
on: November 07, 2020, 03:18:42 pm
Hi all
Tried some adjustment to solve my gt14 stalling issues and made good progress but still not all the way there.

What do you know about the side effects of disconnecting the o2 sensor?

What i did so far:
New pipes.
NGK plug and plug cap (water proof).
New air filter.
RPM set on 1500~ when idle.
Thin insulation layer on the inside face of the metal plate that cover the air filter (preventing the condense of water at the mornings).
Let the bike warmup for 2 min every morning before riding.

Really want to get my rpm down to 1200 but afraid of the stalling go worst.

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 06:29:31 am
Tried it on mine a while back, made no difference that I noticed. I didn't have a bad case of stalling though, just an awful idle that occasionally would stall and very occasional stalls at low speed when coming off throttle.

Power Commander, now that makes a difference. Idles and runs now how you would expect it should.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 07:04:41 am

Power Commander, now that makes a difference. Idles and runs now how you would expect it should.

This ^
I went through the same nonsense as well as adjusting the TPS but nothing really resolved the stalling until the power commander.

I wonder if I loaded an empty map into it whether the stalling would come back?...
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Dez

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 01:33:22 pm
Will a power commander do any good for a motorcycle that didn't have any upgrades? Looks like it cost about 350£..

Did anyone tried the boosterPlug?

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 04:39:14 pm
If you are not in a rush browse eBay. I got my PCV for £120 used even had the map I needed  ;D . Any PCV for the 500 UCE will fit. Some early ones though only do fuel mapping, newer ones do fuel and ignition. You don't need mods to benefit from one, these bikes are mapped really lean to get through emissions. For a stock bike I'd probably get the Hitchcock mapped one for factory sports silencer and standard filter, RE used the same base map for the stock and sports silencer so I doubt the H's map will be an issue on the standard silencer.

I think booster plug only works with Euro 4 bikes (not your 2014)? I stand to be corrected but I believe all it does is trick the air intake sensor so it applies more fuel across the board, imo that's a clumsy way to do things. PCV allows precise tuning of fuel and ignition at RPM and throttle % increments, this also means you can mod things in the future if you wish.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 01:14:27 pm
I recently bought a PowerCommander for a 2014 CGT 535. The instructions did not include disconnecting the O2 sensor on the header pipe. I had a conversation with their tech support. He said they had found out that customers were getting better results with the sensor plugged in.
  Meanwhile, back in the ‘hood.... I told Rush Branson about it. Rush is the lead tech at Cycles of Silver Spring. Apparently, all those giant Harley Davidsons that had PCVs were not limiting their riding to ‘race track only’, as per advertising and DynoTech’s selling agreement. Facing possible government pressure, DynoTech sells the current PCV without a blanking plug, a closed loop electronic connector and the O2 sensor is not mentioned in the install instructions.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 01:34:54 pm
Still got the old instructions on our side of the pond

USA "not get sued by Government", version https://www.dynojet.com/amfile/file/download/file/600c263f25e00d82566a12c65b324430/product/3529/

UK "Who the Hell is Greta?" version https://dynojet.co.uk/media/attachment/file/2/7/27-001.pdf

Though I believe the Euro 4 PCV actually requires the O2 sensor to remain? Interestingly while H's sell them for Euro 4 they are not listed on Dynojets own website, it seems to cut off at 2017.

I actually thought tamper proof ECU's were a requirement of Euro 4, PCV I'd say is tampering!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 02:13:23 pm
California apparently goes after the seller of devices like the Dynojet or Power Commander. They recently hit Revzilla with a $1.8 million fine for selling such devices and non-factory approved mufflers to customers in our state. The threat was that the fine could have been $180 million if Revzilla didn't pay up.   :o

It is interesting that the Booster Plug is OK to sell here. So that must give you the idea that it doesn't affect emissions much by spoofing the ambient air temperature reading to the ECU. Either that or they haven't figured out how to fine a small company based in Denmark.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Dez

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 07:13:31 pm
Graet info

Do i have to get a PCV for CGT or can i get a random one and install the stock CGT map into it? If that map is available of course.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 08:03:53 pm
You can get any random PCV designated for an UCE, you will probably find someone willing to share their map around here.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 03:59:40 am
I recently bought a PowerCommander for a 2014 CGT 535. The instructions did not include disconnecting the O2 sensor on the header pipe. I had a conversation with their tech support. He said they had found out that customers were getting better results with the sensor plugged in.
  Meanwhile, back in the ‘hood.... I told Rush Branson about it. Rush is the lead tech at Cycles of Silver Spring. Apparently, all those giant Harley Davidsons that had PCVs were not limiting their riding to ‘race track only’, as per advertising and DynoTech’s selling agreement. Facing possible government pressure, DynoTech sells the current PCV without a blanking plug, a closed loop electronic connector and the O2 sensor is not mentioned in the install instructions.

The current units from Hitchcock's (for '17 and beyond anyway) include a little black box they call an "optimizer" to use instead of the O2 jumper.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 01:47:52 pm
Graet info

Do i have to get a PCV for CGT or can i get a random one and install the stock CGT map into it? If that map is available of course.

Buy the Royal Enfield UCE version from the company website. You’re good to go. That’s what I just did. My CGT 535 has a custom exhaust, an ACE Motors Air Kit, Iridium plug with an NGK cap. And..... only 370 miles yet! After I hit 500 miles I’ll start installing the ACE Motors Fireball head.
Cheers,
Bill

Dez

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 05:53:41 pm
By company you mean Hitchcock or Dynoget?
I made contact with Dynojet's costumer service and they said their is no PCV for the CGT14.. they told me that if i try downloading a gt map to a different PCV ill get a "map type error"

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 06:22:11 pm
By company you mean Hitchcock or Dynoget?
I made contact with Dynojet's costumer service and they said their is no PCV for the CGT14.. they told me that if i try downloading a gt map to a different PCV ill get a "map type error"

Any PCV for a UCE Enfield (Bullet, Classic or CGT) will physically fit. The Dynojet stock map is for a 500, it works on the 535 I tried. The bloke you talked to probably doesn't realise it's the same EFI system. What you want really though (if not having it individually setup on a Dyno) is one of Hitchcocks maps that they developed for the CGT. If you source the PCV elsewhere H's will sell you the map for I believe £25. You simply plug the PCV in to a PC and using the downloaded software load the map on.

What you can't do is connect a PCV for a GSXR or something else totally different, connectors won't be the same.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 08:45:43 pm
Any PCV for a UCE Enfield (Bullet, Classic or CGT) will physically fit. The Dynojet stock map is for a 500, it works on the 535 I tried. The bloke you talked to probably doesn't realise it's the same EFI system. What you want really though (if not having it individually setup on a Dyno) is one of Hitchcocks maps that they developed for the CGT. If you source the PCV elsewhere H's will sell you the map for I believe £25. You simply plug the PCV in to a PC and using the downloaded software load the map on.

What you can't do is connect a PCV for a GSXR or something else totally different, connectors won't be the same.

https://www.dynojet.com/parts/royal-enfield/bullet-500/2015/

I got one.