Author Topic: HMC 612cc crank  (Read 12726 times)

Otto_Ing

Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 08:10:19 am
Ok..I thought we are taking 50+hp at the wheel. I agree 40+ should be possible with 7000 rev. limit. Cfr450 has a 96mm piston too however.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:13:35 am by oTTo »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 09:08:05 am
Realistically, 50+ bhp @ rear wheel is unlikely to happen on a 500 cc street RE single - top notch classic race bikes struggle to deliver that, but 40 bhp, or a little over should be do-able, without sacrificing too much, if any, bottom end 'grunt'. Going larger than 500 cc, will obviously help get more power and a 612, or other enlarged 500 with a 4 valve head as well, has got to be going the right way. If a 4 valve head were available for our race engines, I would certainly be interested in trying one, if funds permitted - I don't need or want more rpm's, but it ought to boost power by some margin.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 06:04:36 pm
Basically,  there's a limit to how much torque can be gotten from any displacement. Beyond that, you have to seek higher rpms for more hp.

Since stroke length is a mechanical limiter of rpms, shorter stroke is the approach of choice. You don't see any high hp bikes with 90mm strokes, much less 104mm strokes. It is done with shorter strokes and larger bores. Larger bore permits larger valve area, whether 2 or 4 valves per cylinder.  This gives the breathing potential needed for higher rpms with the shorter stroke.

I don't know the theoretical torque limit for a 500/535 single, but I estimate it is around 40 ft-lbs.  It can be attained with a larger bore and shorter stroke, and that will permit the higher rpms to make higher hp.

In the end, tq x rpm/5252 = hp. There is no getting  around that.  In a displacement category which will always have a tq ceiling, rpms are the way.  This is seen in all engine size racing categories.  Shortening stroke is the path to more rpms, and bigger bore/valves is the path to breathing at the higher rpms.

The advantages of 4-valves shows more at high rpms. It has the potential to breathe better at an rpm range which exceeds the ability of the 2-valve valve area. And it needs less lift to do it, and it is typically lighter mass. It could possibly improve the power of BW's racing engine at higher rpms, in theory. But in most street engines, that kind of 8000 rpm level is not considered to be reliable for long term with a 90mm stroke. If a high rpm is wanted for longevity, then the stroke should be a length which gives piston speeds in a more mundane range, so that forces are kept under control for reliability over the long term.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:18:07 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

serpico

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 09:09:43 am

Mikuni BSR 36 on my Continental GT.

It work good
From Italy. Royal Enfield Continental Gt - Rudolph -

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:40 pm
That just looks like it belongs there. Nice to see what looks like one of the Ace/Otto air filters being put to good use.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

serpico

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: October 19, 2017, 01:57:23 pm
That just looks like it belongs there. Nice to see what looks like one of the Ace/Otto air filters being put to good use.

A.

;) 8) thanks
From Italy. Royal Enfield Continental Gt - Rudolph -

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: October 20, 2017, 09:51:36 pm
Keep me in mind with the piston too...

Richard Ebersole

• Love my Enfield
  • Scooter
Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 03:31:38 am
I would love to be on the list for a lightweight piston set up too 💛💛
Ride when I can , modify when I can ????