Author Topic: Rear Brake Light Switch broken, and going to Earth (USA Ground?)  (Read 437 times)

Chris ~ Stockport

• Scooter
  • Royal Enfield Owners Club South Lancashire
https://youtu.be/TWxhgzGydHA?si=Vo3he8jaUFjPnwj2

Rear-brake-light switch on a 2007 Bullet. Applies to previous years too.

Hope nobody else gets a problem with the rear-brake-light switch not working, or causing a short circuit when the brakes are applied. Anyway, if this is ever of help...

The front had broken off the cover, as shown, so the internal spring had nothing to push against. Scrap

An old one was used which had a broken screw-fixing hole. So I made a metal plate to go under it all.
The front of the plate bends up so that the front can push against that, thus strengthened. Also the fixing bolts screw into the metal plate. It's normally very difficult to get a screwdriver inside; this way, the nuts can simply be done/undone from the outside.

NOT SHOWN in the video is an electrical problem, INSIDE the switch:
The connector's insulation had failed, so that every time the brake was applied, power was flowing from the switch to the sliding bar, and via the HOT! spring, to earth. Not good...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 02:59:45 pm
Interesting mix of soundtracks, Julie Driscoll and the Brian Auger Trinity meets George Formby!  ;D

Thanks for that, I've just fitted one of those switches new to my 350 project. The possible culprit in your case could be that short and fairly brutal spring in the link that they come with, but I'll be replacing it with a longer, gentler one off a Wipac switch which I hope will be less stress on the switch body.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 08:15:44 pm
Nicely done! Thanks for the video.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)