Author Topic: An Observtion.....Quiet Bikes and Loud Bikes  (Read 11133 times)

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
on: April 03, 2021, 11:00:31 pm
Today was the first warm Saturday of spring so there were REALLY alot of bikes out on the good roads.  I spent a half hour at one of the popular stops sipping java and indulging in a chocolate covered Payday bar.

Twenty four bikes stopped for a while.  Another twenty or so cruised past.  The split was twenty seven Harleys and the rest were dual sports, and sport bikes of all makes and sizes.

Every Harley was quite loud.  A few were ear-splitting and half of them had really loud stereos blasting mostly heavy metal.

The other bikes were very quiet, even the young guys on sport bikes.

Of the auto drivers who were parked there it seemed that most all grimaced and shook their heads at the racket from the big HDs.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 11:09:34 pm
Isn't that the point of riding an HD?  :D

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:14:00 pm
Not surprised at the information you provided.  In my experience, loud Harleys are ridden by semi-adults (regardless of age) who suffer from a combination of immaturity and penile insufficiency.  I hate loud bikes (You'd never guess!).  I have the TEC Stinger on my Enfield 650 but the decibel killer will never be removed or modified.  Loss of 27# was my only reason for the exhaust system upgrade.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 12:07:29 am
Well it's much the same in the UK the HDs are always the loudest.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 12:49:31 am
There's the charm of a P Twin. They sound sweet, but don't have to be obnoxiously loud to do it. Singles, too. I tried my 535 with the dB killer out. It sounded the same but louder and no performance difference so back in it went.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 02:32:09 am
Is the bigger crime paying $20k to become a cliche? My first ride ever on a bike was on the back of a sporty when I was 8 and I see the appeal of loud for blowing off steam, but I wouldn't want to listen to that (metal and white man's blues are equally cliche to my ears) where I ride. Fortunately I can mostly get off the highways and hit the roads less travelled. My bike is one of the few places I can get quiet. No kids. No advertisements, no spastic YouTubers.... It's almost zen.
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

gregrb41

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 09:28:58 am
On the other hand re Harleys, here in the UK the riders do give us something to laugh at. A good proportion seem to enjoy dressing up as bad boy outlaws, yet we all know come Monday they'll be back cutting hair and talking aimlessly about holiday destinations to the haircutees.
Bandana sales are up, leather vests have never been more popular, and shirts with extra cloth on the gut section have become so popular of late.
And leading to the Interceptor................
AS1 - RD250 - RD400 - CB750 - Bandit 1200 - Thunderbird Sport - Thunderbird w/sidecar - Thunderace - VF1000 - Thunderace - Tiger 955i - V-Strom 650 -Breva 750 - Bullet Electra - C90 - TL1000S - and here we are and loving the Interceptor :-)

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 09:32:00 am
I like loud, but not Harley loud.  Loud but not obnoxious.  And I abhor skull motifs on things, won't even ride with dudes wih that.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

gregrb41

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 09:44:51 am
And further, a true story re the loud pipes. An old school friend has always been into Harleys, but thankfully does not dress like someone out of a biker gang B movie. A couple of days ago wotsername and I were enjoying a cup of tea, in the lovely sunshine, enjoying the quiet of the countryside (where we live).
We heard a noise, herself thought it might be an approaching helicopter, I thought it was either a completely clapped out VW campervan coming down the lane, or a motorcycle in great distress.
It was said matey bloke on his new Harley, a Dyna Butt Plug Intruder Nightrider Super 10 speed Vibe something or other with aftermarket pipes on it.
How do you break it to such people that this sort of thing isn't cool, it's laughable?
And leading to the Interceptor................
AS1 - RD250 - RD400 - CB750 - Bandit 1200 - Thunderbird Sport - Thunderbird w/sidecar - Thunderace - VF1000 - Thunderace - Tiger 955i - V-Strom 650 -Breva 750 - Bullet Electra - C90 - TL1000S - and here we are and loving the Interceptor :-)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 11:54:25 am
Ho don't be cruel to those plastic bikers, let's face it we all need a trim now and again, let them live the dream.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 02:29:12 pm
I'll just leave this here: https://youtu.be/xGyKBFCd_u4

But in my neighborhood, living on a hill on a fairly well-traveled secondary suburban street, the main culprits rousing me from my slumbers aren't normally bikes at all, but rather a parade of Vin Diesel wannabes in their backfiring unmuffled low-slung Nipponese shit boxes.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

LeeInMplsMN

• Lee in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 02:41:17 pm
I don't know why, but they don't wave or nod when they pass me.....   ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F4ow4Aa8kQ7KYZPq5

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:45:55 pm by LeeInMplsMN »
Current: '82 Honda GL500 Silverwing, '83 GL650,
 2021 RE INT650 Cozy Euro Sidecar
Past:
'77 Norton Commando
'82 Yamaha SX400SE
'72 Yamaha 250 DS7

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 02:53:00 pm
I'll just leave this here: https://youtu.be/xGyKBFCd_u4

But in my neighborhood, living on a hill on a fairly well-traveled secondary suburban street, the main culprits rousing me from my slumbers aren't normally bikes at all, but rather a parade of Vin Diesel wannabes in their backfiring unmuffled low-slung Nipponese shit boxes.
It's good that you don't let it get to you.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 03:46:59 pm
I don't know why, but they don't wave or nod when they pass me.....   ;)
Harley riders are different to other bikers - they live in a special world of their own. On another planet even. Or several different planets as there are different sorts of Harley riders too. The hardcore guys, and the newbies and weekend posers - the bankers, lawyers, and accountants - the ones wrapped up in daygo waterproofs who don't 'get it' but still think they look 'rebellious' 'cos they are on a Harley.  ::)

When I started riding back in the day most of us bikers used to give each other a nod in greeting as we passed in opposite directions on the road. I still do. But these days I am finding myself in the minority. There are certain types who won't return this courtesy - for a variety of reasons: Moped/scooter riders (too busy delivering pizzas/drugs or looking for bike/phones to rob), Riders on 'L' plates (too young or ignorant to know better), commuters who aren't interested in bikes and just want cheap transport, and of course Harley riders. 9 times out of 10 a Harley rider won't return a nod of companionship or solidarity - unless of course it's to another HD rider. They are a breed apart.  :P

*puts on flak jacket and prepares to be flamed by the HD riders on here*  :-X
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 03:55:33 pm
Harley riders are different to other bikers - they live in a special world of their own. On another planet even. Or several different planets as there are different sorts of Harley riders too. The hardcore guys, and the newbies and weekend posers - the bankers, lawyers, and accountants - the ones wrapped up in daygo waterproofs who don't 'get it' but still think they look 'rebellious' 'cos they are on a Harley.  ::)

When I started riding back in the day most of us bikers used to give each other a nod in greeting as we passed in opposite directions on the road. I still do. But these days I am finding myself in the minority. There are certain types who won't return this courtesy - for a variety of reasons: Moped/scooter riders (too busy delivering pizzas/drugs or looking for bike/phones to rob), Riders on 'L' plates (too young or ignorant to know better), commuters who aren't interested in bikes and just want cheap transport, and of course Harley riders. 9 times out of 10 a Harley rider won't return a nod of companionship or solidarity - unless of course it's to another HD rider. They are a breed apart.  :P

*puts on flak jacket and prepares to be flamed by the HD riders on here*  :-X

I used to feel the same way you do about the HD boys.  Full disclosure, I've never even ridden Harley.  I have however ridden with several guys on their baggers, and felt fully accepted on my Conti GT.  I have come to the conclusion that (in the US at least) there are just so many HD riders compared to anyone else, that there is a greater chance of the particular rider not noticing you, having clutch in, or  just being a douche.  I have passed many other types of bikes and not gotten a wave or nod. I have also passed countless Harley guys that do give a wave or nod.  I don't take it personal anymore.