Author Topic: Could Use Some Rear Suspension Advice. Thanks.  (Read 949 times)

JohnLA

• Bulleteer
on: March 25, 2024, 12:59:47 am
Hi everybody-

I could use some help/advice on which rear suspension might be best for me and my GT 650. I am a complete novice on suspension. I have put the YSS front fork upgrade kit on my bike and I was very happy with the improvement it provided. I have read to not expect such big improvement when upgrading the rear suspension on our bikes...

I am looking at the following 3 rear shocks:

1. YSS https://www.caferacerwebshop.com/en/rz362-360trl-54-88-shocks-continental-gt-650-19.html?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhf2ik5eOhQMVdjoGAB01pw6GEAQYASABEgIYwPD_BwE#product-content

2. Ohlins https://em-moto.com/en/re912.html

3. Hyperpro https://www.xparts.net/en/hyperpro-rear-twin-shocks-with-rebound-and-spring-preload-for-royal-enfield-continental-gt-650-2019-2020

I have a buddy who can get me the Hyperpro's at a very good discount. About the same price as the YSS shocks. He says they are excellent shocks, but I can't find many reviews on them. Would be very thankful if somebody has some experience/knowledge with this brand and could share it with me.

I weigh 90 kilos/200 pounds. My riding is on sometimes pretty rough roads that one finds on a Greek island, as well as smooth tarmac...I'm a "spirited" rider, but I seem to be riding slower the older I get! :) Looking for a combination of improvement in handling, comfort and safety.

I am leaning towards the YSS and/or the Hyperpro's...the Ohlins are pricey, but I'm curious if somebody here might say they are worth the extra money...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:12:35 am by JohnLA »

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 01:09:09 am
I am running the Ohlins and love them. Having never tried the YSS or HyperPro, so I can't speak to how they compare. If you can afford the Ohlins and want to put that much money into your suspension, I can vouch that they are very good.

JohnLA

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 01:17:57 am
I am running the Ohlins and love them. Having never tried the YSS or HyperPro, so I can't speak to how they compare. If you can afford the Ohlins and want to put that much money into your suspension, I can vouch that they are very good.

Thanks Deathwish. Appreciate your reply. To be honest, my heart is kind of set on the Ohlins...I hear nothing but good things about them, and! I think they look sexy as hell! ;D My buddy is trying to tell me the Hyperpro's are better, but like I wrote above I can't find much info on them and I'm not sure I trust him 100%. lol

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:20:30 am by JohnLA »

JohnLA

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 01:21:57 am

Also, any chance you could post a pic of your bike with the Ohlins? Would be nice for me to see how they look on our bikes. No prob if you can't. Thanks either way.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 03:25:52 am
Only picture I could find after doing the Ohlins and the Matris fork cartridges.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 06:48:29 am
There's a YouTube channel with an English guy who live in the Algarve in Portugal with a Triumph Speedtwin 1200.  He compared the stock, then YSS and then Ohlins.  The bottom line was the Ohlins were best but weren't that much better than the YSS given the difference in price.  I was picking up my Ducati which has Ohlins front and rear and the mechanic who is a bit of a suspension expert and imports a range of different brands including YSS said that they were a solid mid tier option, not as good as Biturbo or of course Ohlins.

All of this is to say that Ohlins will be the best, YSS a significant improvement on stock and HyperPro somewhere in between.  The best bang for the buck is probably YSS especially on a cheap bike like an Enfield.  Also the short 88mm travel makes rear suspension a tough job in the first place. So I'd choose YSS especially since you've already put the fork kit in but if you can afford Ohlins and want them buy those. 
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

JohnLA

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 09:28:32 am
Only picture I could find after doing the Ohlins and the Matris fork cartridges.

Thanks Deathwish. Beautiful bike!

JohnLA

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 09:34:40 am
There's a YouTube channel with an English guy who live in the Algarve in Portugal with a Triumph Speedtwin 1200.  He compared the stock, then YSS and then Ohlins.  The bottom line was the Ohlins were best but weren't that much better than the YSS given the difference in price.  I was picking up my Ducati which has Ohlins front and rear and the mechanic who is a bit of a suspension expert and imports a range of different brands including YSS said that they were a solid mid tier option, not as good as Biturbo or of course Ohlins.

All of this is to say that Ohlins will be the best, YSS a significant improvement on stock and HyperPro somewhere in between.  The best bang for the buck is probably YSS especially on a cheap bike like an Enfield.  Also the short 88mm travel makes rear suspension a tough job in the first place. So I'd choose YSS especially since you've already put the fork kit in but if you can afford Ohlins and want them buy those.

Yes, I remember now having seen that video. I had forgotten about that video. I think I'm gonna go for the Ohlins. Thanks for your advice whippers.

Re-Cycle

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 09:36:30 am
Well I'm no expert, but Hyperpro is a Dutch brand so I (being Dutch  ;)) can tell you something about the image Hyperpro as a brand has. And overhere it is seen as a top quality product, probably in the same league as Ohlins.
So if you can get them at the same price as the YSS I would defenitely choose the Hyperpro's (although not with the purple springs  ;D).

But as Deathwish already mentions, the travel of the rear suspension is only 88mm and that limits what you can expect from an upgrade I think.

I did change the shocks myself but wasn't willing to pay Ohlins money. So I considered two options, the YSS and the Shock Factory 2Win shocks. Because they are made in France by a small company ("locally made") and the e-mail contact was very positive I bought the SF's. I'm happy with them, but it is not a night and day difference with the OEM shocks. But I think that's down to the limited travel of our bikes, it's certainly a higher quality product compared to the OEM shocks. Spring rate is custom to your weight and riding style and the damping is adjustable.

You can e-mail them in English, I got fast and useable answers to my questions.
https://shock-factory.fr/en/994-650-continental-gt-19-22

My bike with the shocks:

Previously owned bikes: '78 Yamaha DT175 - '78 Suzuki GS400 - '77 Yamaha XT500 - '76 Kawasaki Z750 twin - '80 Yamaha XT500 - '80 Kawasaki Z500 - '86 Yamaha SRX-6 - '74 Yamaha RD200 - '79 Yamaha DT175 - '91 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 - '95 Yamaha FJ1200 - '96 Yamaha TDM850
and ridden many more... :)

JohnLA

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 11:12:35 am
Well I'm no expert, but Hyperpro is a Dutch brand so I (being Dutch  ;)) can tell you something about the image Hyperpro as a brand has. And overhere it is seen as a top quality product, probably in the same league as Ohlins.
So if you can get them at the same price as the YSS I would defenitely choose the Hyperpro's (although not with the purple springs  ;D).

But as Deathwish already mentions, the travel of the rear suspension is only 88mm and that limits what you can expect from an upgrade I think.

I did change the shocks myself but wasn't willing to pay Ohlins money. So I considered two options, the YSS and the Shock Factory 2Win shocks. Because they are made in France by a small company ("locally made") and the e-mail contact was very positive I bought the SF's. I'm happy with them, but it is not a night and day difference with the OEM shocks. But I think that's down to the limited travel of our bikes, it's certainly a higher quality product compared to the OEM shocks. Spring rate is custom to your weight and riding style and the damping is adjustable.

You can e-mail them in English, I got fast and useable answers to my questions.
https://shock-factory.fr/en/994-650-continental-gt-19-22

My bike with the shocks:

Thanks so much Re-Cyle. Yes, my buddy thinks Hyperpro shocks are top-notch. I have never heard of them, but he has a lot more experience than I do regarding motorcycle suspension.

Shamefully, or not!  ;D, I think my decision will come down to looks, since I think all 3 shocks I'm looking at will be very close in performance for my type of riding (getting slower all the time)...I like the look of those silver Ohlins the best, so I think I'm going for them...

Very nice looking bike you have as well Re-Cycle. Nice work!

Re-Cycle

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 11:29:37 am
Thanks. Apart from the shocks and tyres it's stock but I think RE has done a great job with the looks of the GT as it is. Really pretty bikes imo.
I have a pair of Matris fork cartridges lying around waiting to be installed but don't seem to have the time (or right priorities...) to take on the job  ;D
(most of my spare time goes into cycling).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 11:33:29 am by Re-Cycle »
Previously owned bikes: '78 Yamaha DT175 - '78 Suzuki GS400 - '77 Yamaha XT500 - '76 Kawasaki Z750 twin - '80 Yamaha XT500 - '80 Kawasaki Z500 - '86 Yamaha SRX-6 - '74 Yamaha RD200 - '79 Yamaha DT175 - '91 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 - '95 Yamaha FJ1200 - '96 Yamaha TDM850
and ridden many more... :)

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2024, 03:21:30 pm
I have the YSS RZ 362's that you mention, got them at EPM Performance in NJ, custom set up for my weight and riding style. I got them in 2019 when there was nothing really available, and they work great, and only cost $500 bucks at the time. I'm pretty sensitive to good suspension, and the YSS does the job quite well.

I also did my front end, also in 2019 when there was nothing available for that either. I got a set of springs from Race Tech and a set of Ricor Intiminators, which I had used previously on my SV650, and the front end was also transformed.

If you do the rear only, you'll find out how bad the front end is and will look to do that too.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 06:50:53 pm
Hi John, If you're "rich" enough, consider these ones, If I quite remember the guy was a Fournales tech, and, well google the thing and make your own opinion  ;)
They seen to be a top notch !

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 12:12:50 am
What about the hagon rear suspension? Any opinions?
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 12:57:11 am
What about the hagon rear suspension? Any opinions?
Hagon is more at the lower end of the spectrum. Most choose it for the look not the performance
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was