Author Topic: Ele trics  (Read 1982 times)

GnasherTT

• Neophyte
on: November 26, 2019, 08:45:04 pm
Had to have starter solinoid replaced , total failure. Fuel pump relay has also failed and replaced.
Had bike since march and done 10,000 miles now, relay failed at 5000 and solinoid failed at 9000
any one else had problems?

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 04:40:26 pm
that's disappointing. one of the reasons I'm here is to hear the good and bad re the 650's. I think Royal Enfield has done a good job with the overall design of these bikes and they seem like great value but some of the components aren't up to what we've grown accustom to riding Japanese for many years. Brings me back to the Lucas electrics on my BSA.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 05:49:43 pm
Hmm that’s no good. 10,000 mi already you must be able to ride every day where you live. Were those repairs covered under warranty?

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 03:36:35 am
Hmm that’s no good. 10,000 mi already you must be able to ride every day where you live. Were those repairs covered under warranty?
Well?  We are patiently waiting.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:41:48 pm
any one else had problems?

Got the ignition lock replaced under warranty. Twice...

The first one did shut down the ignition with key in ON position 2 times during ride, the second one engaged the ignition already when turning the key from locked to unlocked (but ignition OFF) position. Could reproduce both failures in the dealership.
Means with that second lock you could start the bike without key, just by turning the lock slightly with your bare finger. Kind of mechanical "keyless go" system ;D Second replacement lock works as expected now.

Seems that Royal Enfield has achieved a nice quality standard on their in-house manufactured parts for the 650s. The parts supplied by external manufacturers however seem to be a bit inconsistent in quality, to say the least.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:05:06 pm
Ah, the joys of being an early adopter of a new motorcycle model.  ::) BMW owners know that very well and look forward to the second year of production.    ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 11:55:30 pm
Ah, the joys of being an early adopter of a new motorcycle model.  ::)
As long as my dealership continues to do a great job I do not care too much. The ignition locks were delivered next day (so it took 3 days to sort out the issue entirely).

Also got a new front tire on warranty, that took 2 weeks. Tire had a slight bump, impossible to properly balance the wheel. Together with the slightly underdamped Interceptor front fork it resulted in an unpleasant bumpy ride.
Pirelli seems to have had problems with a whole series of that SportsComp tires, I saw complaints about that matter all over the place. Also affected other bike manufacturers (Triumph Street Twin/Scrambler and Yamaha XSR use the same tire model as OEM afaik). Things happen, and if an external supplier screws up this might affect even bikes that are otherwise approved as reliable over years.