Author Topic: Stock Silencer  (Read 4807 times)

AK Mike

• Scooter
on: September 02, 2019, 03:24:07 am
Greetings all,

I'm going to be looking at a used 2014, 535 in a couple of days.  Most of the bike is stock, but unfortunately, the OEM exhaust has been replaced with an aftermarket.  I know I'm in the minority, so don't hate me... but I like stock silencers simply because I like a quiet bike, and I don't want the frustrations of having to potentially remap ECUs/ buying a PCV.  Therefore, IF I buy this bike, do any of you good folks know where I might be able to pick up an OEM silencer (in the US), and/or do any of you have one rattling around in your garage, collecting dust that you might be able to sell me?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:19:20 pm by AK Mike »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 04:02:09 am
Check with Marty at Gomotomn.com
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 05:06:19 am
Check with Marty at Gomotomn.com
Thank you for that tip.
I looked at and rode the bike today, and as luck would have it, the owner still has the original exhaust, so I wouldn't have to source one.  And with the, (very loud), aftermarket pipe on there, it also suffers from the stalling issue that so many other CGT535's experience.  BUT... I don't think the bike is for me.  This is the first time I rode a bike with clip-on bars, and while I know they are not nearly as extreme as most other clip-on's, the extra weight on my hands really bothered me... even on a short ride.  So either I'll have to look into some sort of riser/adapter for upright bars, or I'll just have to give it a miss.  I really like the looks, but can't deal with the discomfort.

Also, it was almost impossible to find neutral.  I've never had such difficulty with any other bike.  What's up with that?  Is it just this particular bike, or is this something that all CGT's suffer from?

Thanks as always for the help.

hoeniges

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 05:07:12 pm
Thank you for that tip.
I looked at and rode the bike today, and as luck would have it, the owner still has the original exhaust, so I wouldn't have to source one.  And with the, (very loud), aftermarket pipe on there, it also suffers from the stalling issue that so many other CGT535's experience.  BUT... I don't think the bike is for me.  This is the first time I rode a bike with clip-on bars, and while I know they are not nearly as extreme as most other clip-on's, the extra weight on my hands really bothered me... even on a short ride.  So either I'll have to look into some sort of riser/adapter for upright bars, or I'll just have to give it a miss.  I really like the looks, but can't deal with the discomfort.

Also, it was almost impossible to find neutral.  I've never had such difficulty with any other bike.  What's up with that?  Is it just this particular bike, or is this something that all CGT's suffer from?

Thanks as always for the help.

I too couldn't stand the Riding position. I found some risers though that make it 10000x better (for me anyway) Here are the pictures if you're curious about the looks. I can send you links to where I got them if you're interested! https://imgur.com/a/kbwvQ3c

p.s. I have my stick silencer... and I don't want it at all. Maybe I can get it to you somehow?

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 07:40:54 am
I too couldn't stand the Riding position. I found some risers though that make it 10000x better (for me anyway) Here are the pictures if you're curious about the looks. I can send you links to where I got them if you're interested! https://imgur.com/a/kbwvQ3c

p.s. I have my stick silencer... and I don't want it at all. Maybe I can get it to you somehow?
Thanks for the offer on your silencer.  I'll certainly keep it in mind if I end up going down the GT 535 road.  And I do like the looks of your handlebars and I would be interested to know more about your risers.  Many thanks again.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 01:01:19 am
I tried the gt -I tried it with risers and then I tried to move it ;D the style or position is not for every=one. very nice looking bike but hard on the shoulders and mine only lasted 80 miles ..I think

Nasher

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 09:32:58 pm
As a mere 65 year old, I don't have a problem with clipons on my 535 GT - I do find on all my bikes that I have to move the brake & clutch lever to a more comfortable position

Were the bars mounted above the yokes? or perhaps the owner had moved them below? Were the levers turned up too far, thus bending your hand up at the  wrist?

With regards to tickover, my bike with a loud exhaust ticks over just fine (it does pop occasionally on the overun)

Finding neutral on mine, just requires a very delicate tap

Hope this helps

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 03:05:11 am
My 2c: compared with some bikes, CGT bars and footpegs are in a mild state of drop and rear setness. My old Ducati has a lot more "aggressive " ride position.  BUT: the tank on the GT is too high for it to be easily gripped with the knees,  so you end up with more weight on your wrists than a bike with sportier ergonomics.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 02:57:09 pm
Tank too high.  Love the sculptured tank, but I have the same problem/complaint about not being able to grip it with my knees.   Tall single not designed for short leg pdople!