Author Topic: Motorcyclist magazine tests the Himalayan  (Read 1534 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 04, 2020, 04:32:28 pm
Here is a link to their review of the Himalayan as a commuter:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5-gmZsJU_0
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 01:24:27 am
Good honest review. Thanks for the tip! If I were still living in Texas up near the Hill Country or way out in the boonies in the Borders region of Scotland, I'm convinced this would be THE bike to have. For the little time I spend on mixed surfaces or unpaved stuff nowadays, I can get by well enough on my old Bullet's Six Day Trials (Enduro) pedigree of yore, where the Bullet originally made its bones back in the late '40s and '50s, but if I faced or even desired a steady diet of "The Slippery Bumpies", I'd seriously consider rolling into the 21st Century on a nice tractable Himi. Those ginormous and far too costly Beemers à la Ewan and Charlie do absolutely nothing for me. I lean more towards  the Ed March School of Just Getting It Done on the Cheap, though not an utter masochist. By the way, after a long LONG hiatus, you can grab a fresh video of Ed's here: https://youtu.be/vPIkvp8_CNQ . I think it's one of his best. Welcome back, Ed, say I. It's been far too long since we could live vicariously through your good natured and utterly resourceful travels.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:51:20 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:14:01 am
@Bilgemaster: Thanks for this Link.

What an incredible trip. It showes, that you don‘t need equipment for thousands of dollars or a bike with > 1000 ccm to explore the world and enjoy adventures. Just very basic stuff and creative ideas.

The right attitude and being happy with compromises keeps everything running  ;D

His helmet or the video cam are probably several times more worth than his bike  ;)

He has obviously set the right priorities.

Toni

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 10:38:52 am
By the way, after a long LONG hiatus, you can grab a fresh video of Ed's here: https://youtu.be/vPIkvp8_CNQ . I think it's one of his best. Welcome back, Ed, say I. It's been far too long since we could live vicariously through your good natured and utterly resourceful travels.

That was superb. Raising self-reliance to another level...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 12:00:43 am
Here's a test where the wheels touched actual trails:
>>> Zack and Ari attempt to take two of the smallest, most inexpensive ADV bikes on the market from the floor of the desert to the top of an 8,000 ft mountain. <<< ...No dirt was harmed in the making of this video...  ;D ;D ;D  - ACR -

Cheapskate Escape! 2020 Royal Enfield Himalayan vs. 2020 CSC RX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9OjCb7y5g
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 01:19:15 pm
Good honest review. Thanks for the tip! If I were still living in Texas up near the Hill Country or way out in the boonies in the Borders region of Scotland, I'm convinced this would be THE bike to have. For the little time I spend on mixed surfaces or unpaved stuff nowadays, I can get by well enough on my old Bullet's Six Day Trials (Enduro) pedigree of yore, where the Bullet originally made its bones back in the late '40s and '50s, but if I faced or even desired a steady diet of "The Slippery Bumpies", I'd seriously consider rolling into the 21st Century on a nice tractable Himi. Those ginormous and far too costly Beemers à la Ewan and Charlie do absolutely nothing for me. I lean more towards  the Ed March School of Just Getting It Done on the Cheap, though not an utter masochist. By the way, after a long LONG hiatus, you can grab a fresh video of Ed's here: https://youtu.be/vPIkvp8_CNQ . I think it's one of his best. Welcome back, Ed, say I. It's been far too long since we could live vicariously through your good natured and utterly resourceful travels.

I've watched all of this guy's videos. He is amazingly resourceful and unstoppable.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.